Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 5771 times)

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
Fishing
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:49:23 am »

A quick search didn't bring up a thread dedicated to this so here are my ideas on reworking the fishing system.

I propose we replace the current system of 'beard fishing' with 3 alturnatives.

1st- lobster pots, these could be built like animal traps and then placed in a water source, the pot would have a chance to catch any fish that moved over it. each pot would only be able to hold a certain number of fish before it becomes full. An increased fishing skill would increase the chance of fish being caught as the dwarf would place it in better, more concealed locations.

2nd- fishing robs/ harpoons this would operate in the same way as the current system but would require an aformentioned tool to bring it in line with mining and woodcutting. This would be used to capture larger fish like trout and carp.

3rd- nets, these would be made using silk cloth and then used like anyother tool. This unlike harpooning would have a higher chance of success but it would capture smaller fish and so provide less food. Also if boats are ever introduced then these would be the main fishing type from boats.

so what do all think?

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:07:14 pm »

Real dwarves fish with magma.

It does add to fishing, which is good.  With these, might I also suggest that grates let small fish through (do they already?) so as to protect from invasion of carp or alligators?

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »

Along the lines of spear fishing, you should also be able to frog gig.
Computer says 'No'.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:04:40 pm »

care to explain the term frog gig to a pomme?

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:39 pm »

Using a multi-pronged spear, you follow the sound of bullfrogs at night.  Wearing a headlamp, you shine the light on them after you've successfully found them from following their sound.  They're temporarily blinded and still in the light, kinda like a deer in headlights freezes, and then you spear them.  Then you go home to cook the frog legs in whatever manner you desire.  We always fried them, living in the southeast U.S. and whatnot.
Computer says 'No'.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »

A quick search didn't bring up a thread dedicated to this so here are my ideas on reworking the fishing system.

I propose we replace the current system of 'beard fishing' with 3 alturnatives.

1st- lobster pots, these could be built like animal traps and then placed in a water source, the pot would have a chance to catch any fish that moved over it. each pot would only be able to hold a certain number of fish before it becomes full. An increased fishing skill would increase the chance of fish being caught as the dwarf would place it in better, more concealed locations.

2nd- fishing robs/ harpoons this would operate in the same way as the current system but would require an aformentioned tool to bring it in line with mining and woodcutting. This would be used to capture larger fish like trout and carp.

3rd- nets, these would be made using silk cloth and then used like anyother tool. This unlike harpooning would have a higher chance of success but it would capture smaller fish and so provide less food. Also if boats are ever introduced then these would be the main fishing type from boats.

so what do all think?

1. and 3. sound pretty neat and would fit perfectly into DF, but I don't know... maybe I just haven't made enough experiences, but it seems like fishing in general isn't a very productive job.
I mean, it's still better when my Dwarves occasionaly go out, catching some fish rather than staying in the fort, eating up my supplies because they're bored.

But again, I like the your ideas. 5/5

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:25:16 pm »

Yea, fishing may not be all that productive, but it depends on the location and the ocean tends to be pretty bountiful. Still, it's another source of food.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »

50% of my dwarves are miners/fishers/haulers, and they do fish everything to extinction every cycle.
In my current map, i seem to get 100 units of food for my 150 dwarves that way, but they seem to consume around 600 per year.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 06:21:22 pm »

I very much approve of these ideas.

Dwarfs might also raise oysters by putting them between grates, and stock ponds with fish. Both of those are reasonably easy to do, and would provide ready food sources.
For they would be your masters.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:11 am »

Speaking of fishing, forests should not be full of tiny ponds. It's not very realistic

Could use a way to deter overfishing too

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:56:22 am »

Considering the scale of our Fortresses, overfishing really should never be a concern.

Not to sound like a hippy or anything, but the only reason our oceans aren't absolutely bubbling over with fish is because we've been pretty much continuously murdering them on a global scale, for centuries.

Two hundred years ago, you couldn't give away salmon. Indentured servants (one step above slave) used to sign work-contracts refusing to be served salmon more than three meals a week, before selling themselves for 10 years hard labour. That's how much fish there was.

Nowadays, you can buy an ounce of pure silver for the price of a pound of salmon. That's just scary.

If we stopped all fishing worldwide for just 5 years, it'd be enough time to pretty much completely restock our oceans. Fish breed like rabbits on X.

Our dwarfs just don't have enough of an impact to affect fishing trends in a forseeable way, realistically, but to correctly model that, we'd need worldwide spawning and ocean currents going on.
For they would be your masters.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:58 am »

I guess the only way out is to boil the ocean.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 04:16:44 am »

Considering the scale of our Fortresses, overfishing really should never be a concern.
Nowadays, you can buy an ounce of pure silver for the price of a pound of salmon. That's just scary.

If we stopped all fishing worldwide for just 5 years, it'd be enough time to pretty much completely restock our oceans. Fish breed like rabbits on X.
It's certainly scary. Sadly, the experience at Cape Cod and elsewhere learns that fish stocks do not rebound that easily when seriously overfished. Instead, we'll have to eat jellyfish. Giant jellyfish. If it doesn't eat us.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:32 am »

The above poster is spot on. We've SO badly overfished the oceans that they are going to take a long, long time to recover. Fish fry don't have a 100% survival rate, and for pelagic fish this goes down when filter feeders are in abundance. Jellyfish are filter feeders, and getting more abundant all the time. That makes it harder for the fry to survive-and given the fact that some of the commercial species take multiple years to even mature, you're looking at a decades long recovery, at best.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 06:45:45 am »

Speaking of fishing, forests should not be full of tiny ponds. It's not very realistic

I don't know where you live but the forests here (Scandinavia) are full of tiny ponds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6