Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The New Emotion System  (Read 7570 times)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Emotion System
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

I had a dwarf feel lustful after talking with this wife ;)

they lika the dirty talk

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 09:44:14 am »

My current embark had everyone fine for a long time (30yr. old pocket world, so none of the dwarves had family at start). 3 romances right at start - but no one married 3 years later - no kids either although population cap should allow it. One of the starting 7 started crying/yelling at his lover who is expedition leader at the same time - but never got rid of his stress. Now, being yelled at all the time his lover is quite stressed as well. I even took him off from refuse hauling and everything that may have him encounter miasma and death and gave him a leopard (but he does not care) etc.

Somewhat related is maybe that this dwarf has only really exotic personal preferences - I mean others like diorite, much easier to cater to.

I now drafted him and his wife to the military to harden them a bit - we will see.

Nerdfighter_619

• Bay Watcher
  • DFTBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »

"Afraid" after trauma seems to just mean that someone is in combat. My Legendary Fighter, High Master, Steel-clad Axe lord feels "afraid" in combat. Against chinchillas and dingos. He also felt "Horrified" after watching a werewombat die, despite the fact that HE KILLED IT. Fortunately, he's gotten the "hardened individual" status now, which hopefully means that he won't freak out when he sees an enemy die.

He also feels "pleasure" after a sparring session.  ;)
Word Domination: Because everyone needs a hobby.

GENERATION 33:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

More tl;dr stuff:

The red down-arrow that used to show unhappy dwarfs now shows dwarfs that are "under a great deal of stress." (Not sure if there are other negative states that will also have it). The line that says they are under a great deal of stress is the very first thing in their description, right after their active thought, and is in yellow.

The main difference between this and unhappiness seems to be that it's no longer just a matter of "give them more positive thoughts than negative and they're okay again." Stress seems to be more of a long-term thing, and they can still have only a few negative emotions and more positive ones in their current/within the last season thoughts, and still be stressed. So I have a suspicion prevention is going to come into play a lot more.

Also I'll note that most of my dwarfs seem fairly resistant to it - even after two sieges, where I've lost probably around a fourth or more of my fortress at the time, and a few other mishaps, it's nearly only dwarfs that are describe as "does not handle stress well" or "cracks easily under pressure" that are stressed out in my fort at the moment. There are two exceptions that I've seen:

The first is my Captain of the Guard, and that could be partly due to the fact that Lol!noble, and partly due to the fact that she has extra stress (frustration specifically) because of my lack of chains and cages. She also has the "easily buffetted by others' emotions" description, which may or may not be playing a part.

The other exception is my one and only dwarf that went mad, but this was because they were wounded, and needed treatment, but weren't resting, and I couldn't seem to get them to rest whatever I did. So they kept getting more and more stressed out due to lack of sleep and such, until they finally snapped, and wandered around until dying. At that point, they had the description "has been overthrown by the stresses of day-to-day living" in magenta font at the start of their description.

I'll also note that I didn't notice any negative emotions from others when they say a crazy dwarf wandering around. When the dwarf finally died, their relatives (children, siblings, etc.) got the dual emotions of being shocked at an unexpected death, and grieved at the death of someone. Also afraid after experiencing trauma, and I don't remember if that last one was triggered just by being around a crazy dwarf suddenly dropping dead near them, or the fact that it was a relation. Sorry. :/

I've also noticed one other extra message - "She doesn't really care about anything anymore." This is found at the end of the description, right before the "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry."  After that point, she just felt nothing at seeing other sentients die, instead of the usual "horrified." Sadly I didn't write down who this was, like an idiot, so I'm not sure if this is a temporary or permanent state.

As one other side note, I still haven't been able to figure out just what causes some dwarfs to take pleasure near nice furniture (or roads or trade depots or whatever), while otehrs have are interested. I haven't yet seen one dwarf react with different emotions to admiring things, so it doesn't seem to be a matter of the quality of the furniture or building. It seems to be a matter of personality, but I can't quite pin it down. Dwarfs that admire art, or craftsmanship (which seem to be different things) seem to come down on both sides of the pleasure vs. interest spectrum, likewise I haven't found any one trait common to the dwarfs on either side of it. I have a feeling this might come down to taking screenshots of dwarfs on both sides and settling in for some serious compare n' contrast. -_- About the most I can say is that SOME of the "interested" dwarfs admired art and artists, and SOME had personality traits like "optimism" or "does not easily hate or develop negative feelings," or maybe a job related to crafting things (like masonry), or some also had "dreams of creating a great work of art"... but again, this doesn't seem to be found in all the "interested" dwarfs.

As for more trigger/emotion combos I've found (and colors if I hadn't seen/given them before):

Adoration - after becoming a sibling
Agitated (brown) - when utterly sleep-deprived. (This was the aforementioned hurt-but-not-resting dwarf.)
Annoyed - being caught in the rain
Content - eating a pretty decent meal, after a soapy bath. (Note that the "bath" only seems to be if they're actually cleaning themselves. I set up "dwarven bathtubs" that some of them had to walk through, and they had no emotions after that.)
Disgusted - being nauseated by the sun
Embarrassed - after sleeping without a proper room
Exasperated (brown) - when caught in the rain. (This is different from some dwarfs' reactions to rain, and might be because this dwarf was described as "quick to anger.")
Exhilarated (blue) - after being attacked (this was my soon-to-be-dead previous Captain of the Guard, who was "brave in the face of imminent danger." Not sure if it was a matter of office or personality.)
Free (green) - after being released from confinement
Frightened (yellow) - after being haunted by her own dead child. (Eesh. Also note that this is different from "afraid," which is in red.)
Frustrated - after being unable to find somebody in charge to yell at/cry on
Gloomy (brown) - at being out in the sunshine again
Gratitude - after receiving water, being rescued
Grouchy (brown) - being caught in the rain
Guilty - after being confined (In this particular case they weren't imprisoned for a crime, they were accidentally caught in a cage trap. I built the cage before I noticed it, so not sure if they'd get the guilt just being in the cage, or if it's only a built cage, such as in prison.)
Horrified - after seeing "a dwarf" die, not sure why this particular one wasn't named. Also after seeing things as simple as troglodytes die, so yeah, pretty much any sentient creature it seems.
Jovial (green) - after having a mandate deadline met
Love (aqua) - after gaining a sibling, talking with mother
Nothing - while in conflict, which is different from some dwarfs.
Pleasure - after a sparring session
Satisfied - after producing a masterwork or creating an artifact
Self-pity (brown) - at being out in the sunshine again (note that some dwarfs were "gloomy" at this trigger)
Shaken (yellow) - after suffering a major injury
Tenderness (aqua) - talking with a child
Terrified (red) - while in conflict
Vengeful (red) - when joining an existing conflict

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 01:36:29 pm »

What puzzles me is a dwarf that has been "under a great deal of stress over the long term" but has no single bad emotion listed anymore - and despite his poor memory he remembers all frustration from before that time? Or is he frustrated because his lover has commitment issues (4 years a couple, but not yet married with raising a family as personal ambition)? (I even made them a masterwork window between rooms, to help things along :))

Does anyone know whether it is indeed still a single "happiness"-scale or whether there are different types?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

There's one overkill effect currently and that's "sad at being separated from a loved one". It's a very strong unhappy thought, it frequently refreshes and doesn't seem to time out/fade at all and a single dwarf can have this thought about multiple absent friends (including people not even listed in their relatives list). I got a second-spring wave of thirty dwarfs who were _all_ ludicrously well-connected outside the fort and they all slowly dove ever deeper into unhappiness until after one year they started to snap.
The progression seems to be "stressed" - "haggard" - "harrowed" ->?? ("toppled"?). On the way to madness, such a large troop threw a bunch of tantrums, and those actually seem to be more deadly than in older versions, in spite of working at a less-deadly escalation level - tantrumming dwarfs seem to get stuck in attack mode after their tantrum's over and bystanders will occasionally chip in. I lost 15 out of 66 dwarfs to rampaging unhappiness and it would probably have taken another ten in an excrutiatingly slow spiral until all unhappiness-hoarders would have died, leaving behind a fort of maybe five able adults and thirty children of zero to two years.

I daresay this type of spiral is even worse than the old type - at least those were over in at most half a year and you _could_ actually do something about the problem. Under the new system, an unhappy dwarf will schedule a meeting, yell at the mayor and won't lose the faintest bit of unhappiness in the process.

If you don't believe me, i have a save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10017
It isn't pretty.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

As i heard some guy say around this forum: It's not !!!SCIENCE!!! anymore, it's !!!PSYCHOLOGY!!!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 10:08:54 pm »

I, for one, am excited about the potential for madness this new feature offers.

All the best parts of DF History have their roots in hilarious imbalanced features that are part of it being constantly under development: murderous elephants, lethally dangerous sponges, carp being the terror of the deep, socks leading to mass suicidal runs...and now dangerously emotional wrecks leading to all manner of Fun.  Should be one hell of a ride.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 01:37:39 am »

As i heard some guy say around this forum: It's not !!!SCIENCE!!! anymore, it's !!!PSYCHOLOGY!!!
First post of the previous page.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:04 am »

One thing seems clear, the previous time limit of six months is gone. To the point where they are still stressed with only positive emotions.

Something else that needs !!Psychology!!: I can not bring my dwarves to improve their conversation skills (and corresponding attributes) at all. Five years in w/ periods of both idleness and activity, a healthy number of parties and the social skills and friendships are still at about the level of the initial few month of aquifer digging (where I got 3 romances), but hardly any new dwarven friendships or any of the romances marrying since then. Nothing at all. (Only the animal trainer bonds like crazy w/ the cave crawlers. Hope he handles me trading them away well.)

Later: Sparring under a waterfall (together with all the other positive emotions) I managed to significantly reduce stress in my trouble dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:35:15 am by taptap »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 09:36:36 am »

I've also noticed one other extra message - "She doesn't really care about anything anymore." This is found at the end of the description, right before the "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry."  After that point, she just felt nothing at seeing other sentients die, instead of the usual "horrified." Sadly I didn't write down who this was, like an idiot, so I'm not sure if this is a temporary or permanent state.
That's not a new thing - that describes the current level of how combat hardened the dwarf is, and that's been in the game since the very first release (i.e. over 8 years ago).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 09:33:46 pm »

There's one overkill effect currently and that's "sad at being separated from a loved one". It's a very strong unhappy thought, it frequently
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I too am having a whole fort of upset dwarves. This getting tweaked I hope?

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 01:37:02 am »

There's one overkill effect currently and that's "sad at being separated from a loved one". It's a very strong unhappy thought, it frequently
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I too am having a whole fort of upset dwarves. This getting tweaked I hope?
What fun is that?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

What fun is that?
It's slightly more fun than being inevitable.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:15 am »

It's slightly more fun than being inevitable.
Only slightly.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4