Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: no flux?  (Read 2775 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: no flux?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »

Well if he can order all 5 of the flux stones, he can get about 10 to 15 flux per year. He should also max his order for pig iron and steel bars too, as well as buying anything made of steel from the merchants and melting it down. If he does all that, he can get a usuable amount of steel per year. He'd still have to use it for priority things like armour and weapons before any decorative purposes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »

Hmm... Can't humans sell you rock in the latest version too?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 06:09:08 pm »

They don't have diplomats, AFAIK, so you can't form trade agreements.
くコ:彡

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:45 am »

got it working anyway but thx for the help. actually... i started a game that was right on a massive mountain of chalk. like i built a massive dam out of just rock salt i had so much of it.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:59:51 am »

No flux isn't a killer, even if you can't trade for it.

You just have to either:
a) accept inferior armor and weapons, compensate with more troops and more doctors.
b)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
c) buy steel equipment, melt, remake. Sure it is ridiculously inefficient, but it /is/ DF.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:57 pm »

I've found that dfprospector never tells me about flux stones for some reason.  I could have a shit ton of limestone and it won't appear on the list when I run prospector.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

Dig down until you hit the red sea and look for marble.  I have played exactly one embark where there wasn't a layer of marble down there, and that was when I was specifically looking for a fluxless embark.  Generally its mixed in with or right above SemiMoltenRock. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 03:22:29 am »

Your right, 4 iron ores. Not my day today.

I ran out of tea you see, and such I'm going through withdrawal.

ahhh, i see. i have a whole box of 150 tea bags here so i know there are only 3 iron ores. :D

anyway im trying DF hack's prospector tool but it wont run for some reason.

Are you using an old version of it?  What does it say?  If it says something like "can't find suitable process" make sure that your fortress is up and running when you run it.

Also, you have to use dfprospector -l to show layer stones (everything but calcite is a layer stone and calcite is only found in another flux layer...).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 10:26:05 am »

I've found that dfprospector never tells me about flux stones for some reason.  I could have a shit ton of limestone and it won't appear on the list when I run prospector.
i do believe it will only show you rock/ore etc that is NOT a layer.

The 4 usual flux are layers, as are, i.e., gabbro, granite, schist, gneiss which the prospector doesn't count either.

If you are certain you embarked on something that should have flux, reveal the map and check. Might be you have it only tucked away in one biome-corner which you didnt dig into so far.
Pages: 1 [2]