Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456589 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #330 on: February 09, 2010, 05:39:29 am »

I've noticed that several fairly controversial suggestions (making farming and mining more complicated and difficult, say, which I know I at least would leap at the chance to vote down as hard as possible)
Ich auch.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:40 am »

Hmmm. I suppose if we go with the ranking method instead of voting, we might need two ladders, one for the positive ransk, and one for the negative ranks. If there is only one ladder, you have to rate every suggestion to put the most hated at the bottom, which might be a bit tedious. With two ladders, you can put the few you like on positive, the few you dislike on negative, and leave the whole rest of "don't care"s unranked.

Is it still too tedious to order the positive and negative ones? A ranking system generally doesn't allow equivalently ranked items, but maybe it could be extended thusly? I'll put up a demo of what I mean tomorrow or the day after.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2010, 08:56:22 am »

why not just start all suggestions with an 'average' rating for each user and then they can vote down ones they don't want, up ones they do and ignore the rest.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2010, 04:40:59 pm »

Yeah, that's the basics. But then, vote up how? +1? +10? A max + per suggestion or in total? How about -?
99 barrels of beer!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »

How about 10 points to distribute to whatever you want (from 1-10 points per item) so people can either vote for lots of stuff or put more votes on things they really want. Then do the same for negative points, so people can either vote no on a bunch of stuff or vote NO on something they really don't want?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:11 pm »

Yeah, that's the basics. But then, vote up how? +1? +10? A max + per suggestion or in total? How about -?

I assumed just a range, however you do it doesn't matter too much, 0 to 10 defaulting on 5 works. If you want to make it so everyone doesn't vote max for everything they want then just allow one vote at each value other than 5 (ie 0-4 and 6-10). For display you just show it by average.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »

How about 10 points to distribute to whatever you want (from 1-10 points per item) so people can either vote for lots of stuff or put more votes on things they really want. Then do the same for negative points, so people can either vote no on a bunch of stuff or vote NO on something they really don't want?
No, not that.  Having a limited number of votes to distribute would be a bad idea; that's part of the problem with the current system.  People should be able to give feedback on every single suggestion if they want.

The problem with "only X votes" is that that leads to only big, sweeping changes going to the top, while small, simple, clever changes sink to the bottom because they don't catch as much attention.  It's very important that users have unlimited votes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:14:29 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 10, 2010, 04:37:19 am »

The problem with "only X votes" is that that leads to only big, sweeping changes going to the top, while small, simple, clever changes sink to the bottom because they don't catch as much attention.  It's very important that users have unlimited votes.

Then just allow everyone to rate any idea they like from zero to ten. Or better yet to be able to rank them in order.

That way you avoid the all my fav ideas are 10 all the ones I don't like are 0 issue.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 10, 2010, 05:11:46 am »

Ranking them in order doesn't work, because that requires people have an opinion on every single idea (and some people may just want to come in, voice their support / opposition for one specific idea, then leave.)  I mean, the list is very long; we can't expect every voter to read the whole thing.

Also, it breaks down as new things are added (how are old rankings that don't include the new suggestions handled?)

I would say keep it simple:  People can vote each suggestion up, vote it down, or stay neutral on it.  And they can change their vote later.

I suppose some people might vote one suggestion they like most up, then vote every other suggestion down.  But I can't imagine that happening too much -- you're going to see more than one you like, generally.  So over the course of an entire population of voters, it should produce fairly good results, at least compared to most of the other options.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2010, 05:16:26 am »

That works, fairly simple too which is probably a good idea. Although doesn't let you distinguish between 'this is a good idea' and 'this is awesome do it now' kinda views.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:50 am »

Ranking them in order doesn't work, because that requires people have an opinion on every single idea (and some people may just want to come in, voice their support / opposition for one specific idea, then leave.)  I mean, the list is very long; we can't expect every voter to read the whole thing.

They can just leave them unranked.  Y'all don't have to reinvent the wheel here.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2010, 09:24:23 am »

They can just leave them unranked.  Y'all don't have to reinvent the wheel here.

But it's so inefficient.. should have been triangular.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:29 am »

Unranked is more like "don't care". If someone absolutely hates a suggestion, he would have no opportunity to express that.
99 barrels of beer!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

Unranked is more like "don't care". If someone absolutely hates a suggestion, he would have no opportunity to express that.
[/quote]

Why not? no reason unranked has to be the lowest rank?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »

I don't follow.  Unranked does express "don't care" in an instant-runoff voting system, as far as I can tell.  Are you saying that that's a shortcoming of IRV?

Here's an article that covers other types of voting systems, including rated voting (think 1-10).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58