Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456562 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #315 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:19 am »

Even without going as insultingly as far as Xombie did.

It is to me that the Suggestion forum and by extension the Eternal Suggestion voting (in fact even more so) should remain with some level of seriousness.

While in no way does this mean suggestions cannot be comical or presented so in such a fashion, it goes without saying however that frivilous, pointless, and overall disruptive suggestions shouldn't be and that claims of humor doesn't change the fact.

Besides "Improve the game" is hardly a joke as it is on the internet without any of the accompaning style, context, or subtly to make it work. So it comes off as cheap and even childish due to its lack of quality anyhow. Though if you want me to sum it up
1) You cannot derive inflection or tone from your suggestion
2) You cannot derive humor from your suggestion except through assumption
3) Your suggestion is blunt and intrusive
and those are the reason why even on a level of humor it doesn't hold up. In fact it is closer to trollish then humorous due to the scrutany the game development often falls under.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:00:46 am by Neonivek »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2009, 07:30:58 am »

I think it's funny. I mean, come on, give him a break. Toady would have deleted it long ago, if it bothered him.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2009, 07:37:46 am »

I think it's funny. I mean, come on, give him a break. Toady would have deleted it long ago, if it bothered him.

I am only giving longer criticisms of his joke in light that he justifies his actions under the banner of "It is only a joke" and says so in possibly the second most aggrivating way I can think of.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2009, 01:49:50 pm »

So, I've been working on the new script for a while now. I've decided to scrap the idea with the different voting methods and instead allow personal ranking of all suggestions. The basic idea is, that you load the suggestions once, then let the user build his own personal ranking on the client side, and save the list at the end.

Here is a small demo of what I mean, tell me what you think of it: http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=925B92A911 (don't click on the giant orange download button, as it just opens an ad popup...scroll down and use the regular button).
Yeah, I'm sorry about the hosting, my server is down at the moment, and I've just used the first free upload service I've found with google. If you know a better way to share it, feel free to do so.
99 barrels of beer!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 25, 2009, 11:56:43 am »

Zagibu,

Although this method works well with short(er) lists, I'd like to see how it operates with the really long list of eternal suggestions.  My main fear is that it would get very unwieldy with the ~200 suggestions, and not everyone would be patient enough to go through and rank every single suggestion.  Maybe you could add an option to end the ranking process early, for those of us who either don't have either the time or the inclination to go through and rank every single suggestion? 
There is also the issue that people may want to change their rankings at a later date, have you thought at all about how to allow that (if at all)?  (Sort of ties in to the previous question).

All-in-all, good work with putting together something of the sort and continuing to improve it :)

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 25, 2009, 06:37:52 pm »

Oh, yeah, that's the idea. People don't have to rank them all, you can actually just put one item on the right side. Also, you'll be able to change your rankings any time. I've also planned to sort the suggestions on the left side randomly, but put very new ones at the top, so they get some additional attention.
I'm not yet sure how to process the user-rankings into one final table, will have to put more thought into that, before I start coding. It'll probably not be as simple as computing the mean rank and sorting by that.
99 barrels of beer!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:14 pm »

zagibu, I just realized that the current voting page just returns "You must be logged in to access this page" if you're not logged in.  Is there any harm in displaying a read-only version of the voting page, so that outsiders can see the items etc?  It could have a prominent notice at the top that says "You must be logged in to vote," with a link to the login page.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 03, 2010, 10:24:22 am »

I'll consider it for the new version.
99 barrels of beer!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 24, 2010, 04:08:26 am »

Hmmm looks like point 193, 171, 167, 133, 113, 76, 46, 42(without prothetics) are coverd by he next release? But i am not entirly sure.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »

Hmmm looks like point 193, 171, 167, 133, 113, 76, 46, 42(without prothetics) are coverd by he next release? But i am not entirly sure.

76 (which I "own") isn't completed yet.  He's got something real basic, which isn't covered by either BLOAT221 or BLOAT224.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2010, 06:18:46 pm »

So, I've been working on the new script for a while now. I've decided to scrap the idea with the different voting methods and instead allow personal ranking of all suggestions. The basic idea is, that you load the suggestions once, then let the user build his own personal ranking on the client side, and save the list at the end.
Yeah, I think I'd like to see something that gives people a way to vote things down in addition to just voting things up; rating each suggestion would be perfect (especially since right now, you can only expression your opinion at all on a few things, and voting for really low-ranking suggestions often feels like a waste.)

I've noticed that several fairly controversial suggestions (making farming and mining more complicated and difficult, say, which I know I at least would leap at the chance to vote down as hard as possible) tend to get near the top, because the current system has no way for people to express strong dislike for a suggestion.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »

Has anyone looked into uservoice.com?  Looks like it might be a neat third party solution.

Not to belittle your work, zagibu.  Your code is neat.  Just something to look into for ideas.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2010, 05:50:33 pm »

I don't think 100 voters per month would work here. But you are wrong, my code is not neat, my code is a mess. It's only up there because no one else has felt like doing it.
BTW, new version is still in the works. I was kind of busy the last weeks with uni-stuff, but should have some time to work on it the next few days.
99 barrels of beer!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »

Neat -> cool, not neat -> well organized.

I didn't actually read into the limitations.  You're correct, 100 voters per month would be kind of worthless.  Mainly, how there interface is put together.  Just something to look at for ideas...

The sppedshare link is currently down btw.  (At least for me).  Could you double check that?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2010, 06:23:34 am »

Yeah it's down. I only used it at the time cause my server was down. I'll upload the new UI demo to my server in a few days.
99 barrels of beer!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 58