Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: A bay12 lower boards IRC.  (Read 13352 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
A bay12 lower boards IRC.
« on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:41 pm »

After visiting some of the current IRCs floating out there for bay12 and not really finding them to my liking, I decided to make one specifically for the bay12 lower boards. Anyone's invited of course, but the focus is simply a community thing rather than focusing on DF or LCS or anything.

Server: irc.darkmyst.org
Channel: #bay12lb

Rules:
- No being an asshole. Respect others.
-- This includes abrasive or brash conduct.
-- And "trolling" or "messing with" people maliciously.
-- And association fallacies. Dudes, seriously.
- No being hypersensitive. Don't blow things out of proportion.
-- This also means no backseat moderating. If moderation is lax in your opinion, bring it up with me or another OP.
- If you're going to discuss something going on on the bay12 forums, don't just run away to this channel and badmouth people. Stand up for yourself on the forums, or let it die completely (or report to toady, if bad enough). I don't want any drama here.
- All the regular rules of Darkmyst (which aren't many)
- Please keep any discussion that wouldn't be allowed on these boards out of the channel. >.> Make an alternate channel for that, using /join #newchannelname.

Intended topics of discussion:
As this started as a way to clear the boards of some of the more idle chit chat, that's what it's intended to be. No real limit to what you're discussing, but generally I'm wanting just casual discussion about anything, and maybe some casual RP, gay innuendo, and other such things we usually derail threads with.

If you wish to talk about more specific things, darkmyst lets you make any channel you like, so go ahead and split into a more specific one if you want.

Re: "Conflict," since some people keep bringing it up like it means something.
I'm fine with discussion. The moment insults, passive aggression, abrasive conduct, etc comes into play, it is no longer discussion. Debate is fine. Posturing is not. People don't need to prove a single goddamn thing to you before they deserve your respect, so give it to them.

How to join if you're new at IRC:

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/

Select "darkmyst" for the server.
Put in a nickname.
Type #bay12lb for the server name.
Join!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:04:30 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: A bay12 lower boards IRC.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:40:08 pm »

Okay, new rule:

- Please keep any discussion that wouldn't be allowed on these boards out of the channel. >.> Make an alternate channel for that, using /join #newchannelname.

Yeah.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »

Cool.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »

I read the channel name as Bay12 Pounds for a sec
It's FEF, not FEOF

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:16:15 pm »

Blame Descan for the name :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

Welcome to channel bullshit death threats and kicking those who think that might not be the best idea.

Welp, I suddenly remember why I don't IRC with bay12 people.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »

- No being hypersensitive. Don't blow things out of proportion.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »

- No being an asshole. Respect others.
Whatevs.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:10:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 06:46:13 pm »

I kicked you because you asked to be kicked.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:46:22 pm »

Oh dear.
You know, I'd been thinknig of pulling XChat back up and seeing how this went. Currently I'm thinking that would be a terrible idea, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:41 pm »

Whatever, over is over.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:10:10 pm by GlyphGryph »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 06:49:45 pm »

Well, I'll be here once you've got yourselves sorted out. I'd suggest you guys get a levelheaded op.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 06:51:58 pm »

Welcome to channel bullshit death threats and kicking those who think that might not be the best idea.

Welp, I suddenly remember why I don't IRC with bay12 people.
Welcome to the bawww channel, it's all bawww, all the time!
My wooden badge was delicious.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:11:34 pm »

*sighs*

As I now have to deal with this shit, I'll go over what happened:

Person I've never met showed up, says she's a girl.
G-Flex makes a poor taste joke that I agree was insulting, but still quite obviously a joke.
Explosion, mostly from people backseat moderating.

I saw no death threat, just some very poor taste jokes about transgendered individuals, which I very nearly kicked a few people over.

I did not approve of what happened, from either side. OPs are there to keep order, not you. Lastly, when I or another OP tells you to drop it, you drop it. Those who were kicked were kicked because they failed that part, not the drama beforehand.

I am calm, forgiving, and loose in my moderation. You won't get banned without some serious malice. Feel free to rejoin when you've cooled down a bit. In the meantime, all I have to give toward those involved is some serious stern looks.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:16:29 pm »

You're making a big deal about THE MODERATION here while forgetting that people were opped pretty arbitrarily and without reason, like say, me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10