Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Eagle capturing?  (Read 3216 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Eagle capturing?
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

I embarked on a map with a Giant Eagle soaring around and I realized I had no idea how to lure it into a cage trap. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything about it, so does anyone have any advice? And are giant badgers tameable? Because a Giant eagle/Giant badger would be fantastic. I understand that due to the Dungeon Master being broken that I have to edit the raws, but I don't want to edit it in things that aren't normally available. I have most of the game under my belt and have played for about two years, but I'm only a dabbling animal trainer. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. To anyone who plays the Fortress Defense Mod, can a Giant Eagle take on a harpy?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Eagle capturing?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:57:09 pm »

Your best bet for capturing flyers is to put some catch traps under a roof. They tend to stay close to the ground, and will often go under obstacles instead of over them.

Giant eagles and badgers are exotic pets, so the Dungeon Master workaround would make them tameable.

Giant eagles are fairly good-sized creatures, but that doesn't compensate for equipment. Metal weapons and skill will greatly compensate for the eagles' larger size, so I'd guess that eagles vs. harpies would probably usually go to the harpies.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »

Giant eagles and badgers are exotic pets, so the Dungeon Master workaround would make them tameable.
In other words, remove the -EXOTIC from [PET_EXOTIC]

Giant eagles are fairly good-sized creatures, but that doesn't compensate for equipment. Metal weapons and skill will greatly compensate for the eagles' larger size, so I'd guess that eagles vs. harpies would probably usually go to the harpies.
I doubt it, as harpies are wild animals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:02:36 pm »

I doubt it, as harpies are wild animals.
The question was regarding the Fortress Defense mod, wherein harpies are a sieging race and not wild animals at all.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »

I heard badgers and giant badgers don't enrage so easily when they are tamed. I mean, granted, a giant badger is still a formidible opponent, even when not enraged, but if you were hoping for a berzerking giant badger super military then you are probably going to be disappointed. You could, however, capture a bunch in cages and use them in a trap of some sort. Maybe a pit to kill anyone who survived the fall, or at your entrance for when an enemy walks over the pressure plate to release them.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

A trick to catching wild animals in cage traps is to create a cross with walls and put a cage trap in the center.

Code: [Select]
     X
     X
     X
     X
     X
XXXXXCXXXXX
     X
     X
     X
     X
     X

X = Wall
C = Cage Trap

With Giant eagles though, you'll mostly be relying on luck.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:41:40 pm »

Its not luck if a kitten or a chicken is used as a lure, just make sure the eagle cant land right on top of it (via fortifications)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:09 pm »

I just set up a 3x3 of cage trap near each corner of map and end up with a LOT of wild animals. Last fortress I had ( still playing .18 ) I got at least a dozen giant eagles that way without even noticing. After removing the _EXOTIC tag, I tamed them all and is currently breeding them. It'll also snag occasional ambushes and siege squads, so be careful  :D

And you'll -have- to edit your save raw to tame the animals, or just to breed the exotics you gets from elves, as long as the dungeon master's broken.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »

Build a wall across the entire map, 1 (or more) wide, from one side to another, filling all the way up to the top. Leave out a few gaps for cage traps where you want - the eagles have no choice but to fly through them if they want across. Instant* catch-everything trap.
*may take several years of construction

The roof idea sounds the best. Try it. If that doesn't work, just add height to other animal trapping methods. One will eventually work.

Don't bother taming giant badgers, especially if you're against raw alteration. They lose a lot of power when tamed. Make a pit full of wild giant badgers. Or a giant badger bomb.

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 10:15:13 am »

A giant badger bomb? I severely hope this is the result of amazing raw editing and somehow involves whenever a wild giant badger gets enraged it goes thermonuclear... In Minecraft terms, a badger creeper. Can this be done?! An angry exploding giant badger. CAN IT EXIST?? Of course..This is Dwarf Fortress, let the !!Science!! begin!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:29 am »

A giant badger bomb? I severely hope this is the result of amazing raw editing and somehow involves whenever a wild giant badger gets enraged it goes thermonuclear... In Minecraft terms, a badger creeper. Can this be done?! An angry exploding giant badger. CAN IT EXIST?? Of course..This is Dwarf Fortress, let the !!Science!! begin!
Well, it might be done... But I was talking about loading dozens of giant badgers into the same cage; opening the cage is likely going to destroy any nearby organisms. Original bomb was with dobermans, I believe.

I like your idea better.