Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1166346 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1815 on: August 10, 2011, 08:58:47 am »

At this point, it'll probably be weeks rather than months (and rather than days, for that matter). Stalkers (which might make the other likely night creatures easier to implement, so those might come in as well), sponsorship animals (I'm uncertain whether Toady actually wants to try and make proper beaver dams, but other than that, he might do little things here and there), preliminary testing and bugfixing at the very least. Emergent features could always happen, and I might be forgetting things.

Beaver dams? Oh dear.

I'm imagining the hail of fun that will ensue during large-scale pumping projects... Especially if your dwarves are beard-deep in aquifer layers and the pumps switch off.

Hee hee.

Ah well. Weeks is better than months!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 10, 2011, 09:31:45 pm »

Regarding adventurer interactions, I'd be fine if the only addition was to allow adventurers to interact with the local flora in ways other than setting them on fire. 
But actually I was really hoping that adventurers would be able to spit alcohol into a lit torch to make a makeshift flamethrower.  Because, y'know, FIRE.

Also, how many more months away are we from seeing procedurally-generated, sprawling underground dungeons that span 27+ levels with multiple branches?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:53 pm »

Quote from:  DevLog
My kitchen flooded today, which was FUN. It was a valve on the washing machine I guess. Scamps remained dry, though every towel in my apartment is now soaking on the floor.

I had this happen once, sort of. Except it was because my roommate try to use dish soap instead dish detergent. Hilarity ensued. I walk in and the dish washer was foaming at the mouth and half the kitchen was covered in bubbles. It had apparently been going on for a while too. I asked him why he didn't turn off the washer and he responded to me with a blank stare. I guess he had panicked and didn't think of that. All the towels in the apartment were reassigned to floor duty... though since we had a dryer in the apartment we had a cycle of using the towels and drying them. I'm just lucky I showed up when I did. Another 5 minutes and it would have reached critical levels of disaster as the 2nd rinse cycle would have begun.

Hopefully, your experience went as easy as mine. It was a tough job to clean up, but it could have been a lot worse easily.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:28 am »

Ah Toady, living the dwarf's way of life.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 11, 2011, 09:49:50 am »

Will this inspire a bout of creativity resulting in dorfs being able to wash clothes/themselves in barrels with soap and water, it's automation and inevitable floodings?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

linx09

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
multiplayer?
« Reply #1820 on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

Hey I'm just wondering if you will implement a multiplayer mode for DF Adv mode.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: multiplayer?
« Reply #1821 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:59 am »

Hey I'm just wondering if you will implement a multiplayer mode for DF Adv mode.
No, the game just isn't set up in a way that would make multiplayer possible, especially in adventure mode. Also, read the roleplaying section description.

You can participate in the only multiplayer games B12 is likely to have anything to do with here. Feel free to start one of your own.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: multiplayer?
« Reply #1822 on: August 11, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »

It will never happen.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »

Don't worry bout the flood Toady! See it as the opportunity it is!  get some grass to grow on the muddied tiles and you'll be able to Threetoe in your kitchen!

*please don't hurt me ThreeToe*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:27 am »

Don't worry bout the flood Toady! See it as the opportunity it is!  get some grass to grow on the muddied tiles and you'll be able to Threetoe in your kitchen!

... I'm not a native speaker... Are you positively sure a word isn't missing in your sentence ?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1825 on: August 12, 2011, 03:44:30 am »

... I'm not a native speaker... Are you positively sure a word isn't missing in your sentence ?

I am a native speaker and I can assure you what he said makes no sense. 
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:27 am »

It makes sense but you have to assume that Threetoe is an action of some sort.

Like doing the Monkey.

Though it does beg the question about what exactly Threetoe'ing is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:06:39 am by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 12, 2011, 04:21:37 am »

It makes sense but you have to assume that Threetoe is an action of some sort.

Like doing the Monkey.

Though it does beg the question about what exactly Threetoe'ing is.
hanging upside down from the ceiling/rafters one assumes...
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 12, 2011, 05:53:50 am »

I think the word missing is "pasture".
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 12, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »

Haha, yea I meant to add pasture there, I had just gotten off work at the time, and my work involves typing the same sets of numbers 3000 times over the course of 8 hours.  My typing fingers were in the middle of a strike.

I think I'll keep that unedited for posterity though.  Pretty funny if I so myself.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 298