Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 721946 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2012, 08:28:36 pm »

but I went through so much trouble to make this lake, and it's not done yet.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:58 pm »

Oh, that explains it's unique cliffy shape.  I thought it was generated like that  :-[
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2012, 12:17:24 am »

Is there any way for dead bodies to show up, or shall they always be shown as pools of blood?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2012, 04:49:40 am »

Is there any way for dead bodies to show up, or shall they always be shown as pools of blood?

As far as I know, they're items right now. they just need sprites, and for items to be able to get a different sprite per material.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2012, 06:32:23 pm »

This probably sounds like an odd request, but is it possible to use the graphics from Slate in the current version? I find the new foliage too intrusive (multi-tile trees, very tall grass, etc) and it makes it look messy. Just my opinion, but I would like to know if it's possible.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:28 pm »

yeah, it's easy.

Open stonesense/plants/index.txt, and change it to:

Code: [Select]
#DT_trees/dt_trees.xml
trees.xml
shrubs.xml

And in stonesense/index.txt, stick a '#' in front of the 'grasses/index.txt' line

Myrmec

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing the [z]tock market
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2012, 08:21:18 am »

Oh awesome, it looks like objects laying around are working!  Great job!

This utility gives me reason to actually build cool looking structures in DF, thank you!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »

How much will lower OpenGL performance affect Stonesense's FPS? I'm running Debian Sid x64, and I prefer not to use the proprietary Nvidia drivers, instead, I use the free Nouveau drivers, which have somewhat poorer OpenGL support. I note that the map read and beautification times are 20,000ms, but the draw time is about 150,000ms. My renderer is set to OPENGL, as SOFTWARE is much slower and DIRECTX, of course, doesn't work on Linux. (I've also turned on CACHE_IMAGES in init.txt.) Is this just an OpenGL issue or can I get a reasonable framerate with other optimizations?

EDIT: Also, I get these errors when I start Stonesense. I can't see anything particularly out of the ordinary as a result. Are they of any relevance to the lag I'm having?
Code: [Select]
stonesense/buildings/Craftdwarfs.xml: <building> unknown game_subtype value:     building (Line 2)
  2 Failure in reading stonesense/buildings/Craftdwarfs.xml
  3 stonesense/buildings/Shop.xml: <building> Is generic - game_subtype missing.    : building (Line 5)
  4 stonesense/buildings/Blueprint.xml: <building> Is generic - game_subtype mis    sing.: building (Line 5)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:57:26 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2012, 10:20:32 pm »

Stonesense does rely on OpenGL quite a bit, but 20,000ms read and beautification times are very very bad and I don't think they're related to OpenGL, though it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2012, 12:43:29 am »

Oh dear. In that case, what can I do to trace what the problem is with the read/beautification times?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:46 am »

Don't worry about the errors in the dfhack console on stonesense startup - that's totally normal.

Are you certain those read and draw times are accurate?  A 170 second draw cycle would be so slow you would have to wait minutes between each frame.  By chance, do you mean 20.000ms and 150.000ms? (this could be a simple misunderstanding due to local numerical conventions in some countries)

If you are actually able to use stonesense in any way (you aren't waiting several minutes between frame), then what could happen is that the call to the local system time used to determine the draw rates is somehow returning in a different format than stonesense is expecting. 

If, on the other hand, stonesense is taking multiple minutes to load each frame, then something is indeed very seriously wrong, but it I can't see graphics being the issue here, because the map read and beautification don't touch any images (at least as far as I can recall), and 20 seconds is far too long for that to take (unless your computer is 15 years old or something). 
where is up?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »

The read times do not have a decimal place (perhaps they should), but you are right that they seem to be overestimations. Viewing the middle of the arena, I get about 2 FPS, with read and beautification times flickering between 0 and 20000 ms, and draw time at a startling 322000 ms. So there's definitely something wrong with their values. My computer's about three years old, but is still quite fast and reliable, so I don't see that being the problem.

As a test, I tried changing the XY segment size from 70 to 25: this increased my FPS to about 15-20. The map read and beautification times stayed mostly at 0 and flickered to 20000ms once in a while, while the draw time stayed at 20000-30000.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »

Yeah, that's a case of bogus numbers then.

Also, you might get a speed increase if you disable the 256 tiles in stonesense/creatures/index.txt by commenting out the first line and uncommenting the one about color dwarves.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:11 pm »

Uncommenting those lines gave me only .5 FPS more at most, so that's not the problem. I did build Allegro and DFHack myself, might I have forgotten some optimization flag? I know that I ran SS on Arch Linux a while ago on this computer and it worked fine. In fact, I can try to do that now and check the result.

EDIT: It seems that my Arch install is broken so that it cannot retrieve packages, and I'm missing several ones necessary to build DFHack. I'd have to reinstall completely, so no test from there, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:46:55 pm by DrKillPatient »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:51 pm »

Hey, I still exist.

I've had some real life trouble, and mainly returned to see what's up with forum after the big hauling update.

I didn't get much further on grim-dark. There's some metamorphics done, but I never could get those ramps to be finished.(Too much damn work).
So, anyway, because you guys are looking into hi-res stuff I guess I should stop pixeling and open up a hi-res program.

If there's anything I can help with, what would it be? I'd prefer it be terrain stuffs as caldfir's style and mine are quite different.
I could do some new grass, but I could also kick out some basic bricks for the basic stonetypes(though no ramps. ramps are hell).

We could finally get that grass to look less obnoxious without losing charm.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 85