Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Candy  (Read 6394 times)

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
Re: Dwarven Candy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 12:34:32 am »

I'm going to be experimenting with food glazes in my mod I'm working on.  From what I've seen of the new IMPROVEMENT reactions, it should be possible.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 12:52:35 am »

I'm crossposting with the decoration reactions thread, but here's my first attempt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haven't tested it yet. On a USBPC, so no DF.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:08 am »

Dwarven candy eh?
watching

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:09 am »

urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:18:39 am »

As for "what's glazable and what's not?" you can do this via reaction tokens.  Like [REACTION:FLUX] is used to tell the game "this is used for steel" you can add [REACTION:CANDY-ABLE] to designate any food as possible for candy.  Then, in the reaction, you specify something like [REAGENT:FOOD:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:CANDY-ABLE] so that it will look for any food with the CANDY-ABLE token.  Granted, this means that every item of food must be modded, but not an overall deal-breaking part of it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:09 am »

Aw, dangit. Yeah, I'd kind of figured out how that worked, but had been hoping it didn't have to work that way.  The downside to the complexity added to reactions with DF2010.

On the up side, powder and other things in containers are useable. I'll  get the hang of this yet.

Thanks for the very precise explanation. I can work with this, even if it does mean a heap-load of work. I take it this means that glazing food with honey is totally possible if I actually do it right instead of my crap version? (can't test. PC running off a frikkin' USB stick). THEN I should do the same thing to get shellac powder from the lac bug thing... that one's too good a material not to mod in.

...as for candies themselves, globs work, but is a second-best solution. Can we make candies be the edible stones of the size used by adventure mode dudes, or would that mean they could never be stockpiled? Other candy idea: can powder be made edible-raw? (hehe - Pixie stix made with real pixies? Fundip?)

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 02:43:55 am »

Edible stones?
brb: modding raws

EDIT: Embarked on a random location.  Dug down, found Sandstone.  Saved game, modded raws, [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED].  Dwarves would not cook nor eat any sandstone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:54:19 am by Girlinhat »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 03:04:12 am »

Edible stones?
brb: modding raws

EDIT: Embarked on a random location.  Dug down, found Sandstone.  Saved game, modded raws, [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED].  Dwarves would not cook nor eat any sandstone.

NOTE: did you change the sandstone before or after it had been dug out? It matters.

I know that sometimes new changes only propagate to stuff created (in this case dug out) after the change. How I know this? Changing hooves' tokens to be [shell] back when this was important, only newly created hooves would get the [shell] tag. The already created ones were un-useable.
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 03:16:27 am »

Both.  Dug down, mined through some sandstone, and then saved, edited, returned, and mined the rest.  There was sandstone on both sides of the change.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 03:25:08 am »

Hm. Stuck with Globs and Powders, then.
[/quote]

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

Dwarves and adventurers won't eat anything that isn't an "edible" item type.  Even if you give rocks, trees, or sand edible tags, they won't get eaten.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:52 am »

Dwarves and adventurers won't eat anything that isn't an "edible" item type.  Even if you give rocks, trees, or sand edible tags, they won't get eaten.

Even though people have been known to eat dirt here in the real world...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:14 am »

But in DF no distinction is made between eating something that gives you nutrition, and other things that don't. There is only eating for nutrition. So far.
[/quote]

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:14 am »

But in DF no distinction is made between eating something that gives you nutrition, and other things that don't. There is only eating for nutrition. So far.

And some varieties of dirt actually have nutritional value.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 09:30:14 am »

And some varieties of dirt actually have nutritional value.

!

Well if DF ever starts making distinctions between different amounts of nutrition in different food, then this would be an awesome "stave off famine for a short time" mod. Currently I think it would be a bit broken. A pile of dirt should not have the same amount of nutrition as say an ostrich egg.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4