Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1202179 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Remember that it's a huge difference between a dodging&fighting level 3 dorf and level 9. You might get two level 9 hero migrants in 55 migrants.

And a major siege will be 3 squads of metal-armor opponents accompanied by 3 squads of beasts (which will clog up weapon traps and bite latch onto dorfs). I'm guessing the enemies will be around skill level 4-6. So a maximum trap-corridor might be like 6 x 14 cage traps (very lame, but victorious). I think wooden spiked balls are over-powerful, 30 hits per trap square, enemy gets fatigued. So I made a "wooden bludgeon" trapcomp, The Only Blunt Trapcomp.

Bad dorf tactics, also known as "Chaaaaaarge!", lead to one dorf (the most agile one) vs 15 opponents situations. I believe "soldier defense only" is automatic tantrum spiral when enemies come with 3-6 squads.

Edit: I believe VIEWRANGE sees through constructed and natural walls, demonstrated when you activate a squad and one dorf of squad happens to be near gobs-in-corridor. Now active soldier, sees enemies through wall, goes to them instead of where the station-order was.

Lightbells continues, we get an interesing Forgotten Beast...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:46:59 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've started my 2nd fortress (2x2) so I already got a werewolf siege, and this time I won with 6 mid-skill recruits in steel armor with moon silver battle axes.

The key to the victory was an entrance made of five rooms with doors between them, so fights happened in small rooms and dwarves were not surrounded easily like in the first try (and didn't CHAAARGE because they didn't see enemies because of the doors).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doors are fun and all but when they got building destroyers everything gos to hell but thats what drop bridges are for!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Put 10 rising spikes next to the door so that when the destroyer comes, it'll stand on the spikes and let itself get stabbed. Works best with a stone/metal high quality or artifact (can be wooden if artifact) door, as those take a loooong time to break down.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

I still think "landmines" work best for Building destroyers.  Simple as a floor and a support.  They see it, they destroy it, they go boom.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am about to start my first fortress in this any advice as to how to start ?

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

alright, so, just got my first caravan, holy crap...

EVERYTHING is so much more expensive...

also, bought an air mephit, and i notice it has the same labor thing as a cat "this animal is not interested in your wishes"...can i train that thing as a war mephit or will it always be an air demon that...does nothing?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile

I've been having a problem with adventure mode with this mod. Whenever I try to go back to a town to return a quest, they start attacking me for no reason.

Although even I would try to murder someone named Urist ChildrenIncest.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No!!! My new fortress fell!
Late summer...I get seiged!

I thought I was gonna win the battle... unfortunately, luck was not of my side.
So I send in my military...which consists of 2 person, which I started out with. They're both proficient swordsdwarves.
The military commander charges in and dies immediately to a headshot by the centaur crossbowman. Upon witnessing his commanders death, the soldier charges in and kills 8 centaurs (this point is when I'm like wooo!!!! I'm gonna win)...well shortly after killing 8 centaurs...he dies to a headshot as well...and
the centaurs continue their sieging and mass murdering.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:12:23 am by Selenite »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Been here long?

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Been here long?

Yeah, ofc. Just didn't expect a seige so soon. My earliest sieges in Genesis were either late winter or early spring 2nd year.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think Deon has tweaked things.  Or maybe it was Tomi.  Theres plenty of situations where sieges or ambushes happen far sooner than they were in previous versions.

I've had to tweak it, myself, in order to survive past year 2 ;)

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think Deon has tweaked things.  Or maybe it was Tomi.  Theres plenty of situations where sieges or ambushes happen far sooner than they were in previous versions.

I've had to tweak it, myself, in order to survive past year 2 ;)

Haha, I like the challenge. Need more !!FUN!!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I, sadly, am just not badass enough to have this much Fun.

I appreciate 80% of this mod.  And it's a good 80%.  But I'm also a realism hound, and some of the things in Genesis are hard for the sake of being hard, like the Raptors.

Speaking of Raptors, asdfgh, where are you? I'm having issues getting their populations to stay good until the year 1050 in their outdoor environments.  It is actually the case that, when examining legends mode, that I have more Dragon Raptors than Raptors!

That's certainly unexpected and, being a realism hound, I can't abide having the special strong version being more common than the supposedly more populous normal version! What would cause a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:1:3] to be over 10x more common in the wild than a creature with [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30], when by looking at the numbers it should be the other way around?

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright why do i have massive veins of blue crystal? its like normal stone and i though it would hide an adamantine spire or something but no its just leaving behind massive amounts of blue crystal.

How are you guys losing your forts so soon? i only lose mine when i try to fight but if i wanted to the hostiles will never get in due to walls and a drawbridge which was mandatory since the orcs mod. I have 2 squads equipped with steel/bronze/masterful leather armor and some weapon/cage trap layers so the next siege is going to have some fun when my dwarves pour fourth with steel halberds and axes shining and masterful bronze breastplates gleaming while my ranged squad takes pot shots from the crenelations.

I friggin love the bees now--i built 14 hives and now their all full of bees so i'm going to have a thriving honey economy as i retake the caverns and build impressive outposts in the depths! I plan on eventually abandoning the top layers and moving deeper into the caverns leaving behind a massive tale of wealth and eventual degradation for history to see.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 642