Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1288257 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10350 on: October 29, 2022, 10:50:56 pm »

Fixed my first static translocator. It dumped me in a room some ~9000 blocks away deep underground. Said room had a rich seam of bismuthinite directly in the roof.

My only issue is finding zinc. At least bismuth looks pretty.

Vintage Story
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: October 31, 2022, 02:17:38 pm »

Succeeded in initiating my first Genesis. Got kinda lucky with that. Found a beacon early on that gave me the location of an O2-based Genesis candidate world, and not too far from where I started. It was just a matter of building up the crew then. Unfortunately, lost my captain during the finale. And according to the AAR, what started as a democracy after colonization turned into a tyrannical, isolationist, blood-cult.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: November 01, 2022, 04:21:52 pm »

In Fallout 3 managed to
Oh and the mission that have you fighting along Liberty Prime on the bridge is definitively the best thing ever in any Bethesda game :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10353 on: November 01, 2022, 10:33:13 pm »

So I tried the realm mode thing for the first time. Party on whatever it is below highest difficulty, basically got my face knocked in repeatedly for a bit.

Said, okay. This isn't working, let's try solo. Knock the difficulty down a notch, it'd be reasonable for solo run to be harder, right?

... Kudo just goes, "I'm not here to be reasonable, my friend, I am here to fuck."

Straight crushes his way through everything in his path, only once goes down to half health (that, for all of one turn, by that point he had like 30-40 hp worth of healing in his deck). Clean sweep wrecked the whole run, apparently put me sixth (fourth, if you don't count endless runs) on the weekly leaderboard for solo hard mode.

Turns out, solo is probably easier than a party is, and it's a pretty nice experience :P

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: November 02, 2022, 10:07:58 am »

Very happy on my Genesis Alpha One run, entered a system then on my bridge i scanned all the surrounding ones and found out that there were ... 3 genesis candidate worlds !
And 2 of them were filled with O2 , so perfectly compatible with my ship species (a mix of +/- 25% human and 75% arachnoids) that all are requiring O2 to survive.

Even better on some of those systems i also noticed 2 planets were featuring some O2 generating plants (2 Ferns and 1 Palm) that i gathered quickly, allowing me to build another greenhouse that could then provide me with enough O2 to support the 15 crew members requirement of one of the 2 Genesis candidates (the other had a requirement of 18) as i had enough biomass to clone more people.
Spoiler: road to victory (click to show/hide)

Strangely on this run not a single space pirate, soldiers or merchants detected.

Edit : oh something i didn't knew : there's a "Continue+" so after winning your run instead of starting a new game with different options and etc like your new unlocks... you can just continue with your current ship after completing that Genesis project, as after all in the random universe there's a bunch of other planets that are candidate for the Genesis project.
You'll have a bunch of crew members that will have departed to live on the planet you just Genesis-ed , so you will need new clones as you can only bring 4 of the clones you had previously.
Nice way to have a post endgame instead of the classic "play from the start again" roguelike type.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 01:23:28 pm by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: November 07, 2022, 05:25:18 pm »

Managed to separate the attributes of "looks like ass" and "fights like ass" to some degree. My ships, still at the bottom tier of both garbage and technology, may look downright awful, but they did not lose.

Attacked a giant bee hive.  My fleet was composed of the randomly(?) generated ship I started with, and two I designed. The former was armed with a ton of grenades and muskets, the latter two had ballistae. The grenade ship flew over the hive, while the other two took a position in front to draw the bees off.

This post almost ended up on the death thread. The bees swarmed the first ship, overwhelming the crew in a fight that took minutes. But the bees, they did not kill all the crew, they left many on the ground, screaming for help, screaming for the mercy of death that wouldn't come quickly enough because there was nobody left to help them. The crew of the second ship waited, listening to wails of tortured men. When it was their turn, however, they rallied, and destroyed the bees with light casualties. Meanwhile, grenades were raining on the hive and doing no visible damage. I turned up the gamespeed, and waited until about 3/4's of the ships ammo was gone when the hive finally fell. No ship was considered lost, and the bees didn't do any physical damage to the ship, and I left the battle with an extra $8000 - a lot at this stage of the game.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: November 09, 2022, 09:52:08 am »

Getting power armor was kind of like flipping a difficulty switch since my character was suddenly strong enough to use rifles reliably, but getting the sniper perk sealed the deal.  The game went from painfully hard to hilariously trivial.  Sniper + better criticals is almost cheating.  You can get one-shot kills against many enemy types regardless of damage, including wanamingos / aliens.

The Enclave was trivial.  2 shots with a gauss rifle to the eyes killed every Enclave soldier that I ran into.  Finished the game at level 30 with almost 400 HP that made me able to survive 2 armor bypassing crits from miniguns.

The only thing I messed up on was telling K-9 to wait outside while I did the Enclave oil rig, since apparently the turrets didn't like him.  I was kind of surprised since he came from Navarro.  Anyway, I left him outside, and the game didn't give me a chance to collect him as I ran outside after killing Horrigan.  When I got back to San Francisco he was gone.  Guess he got blown up.  :(

Incidentally, K-9's AI seems kind of broken.  Maybe the restoration patch is to blame, but he seemed to be reluctant to attack anything that didn't hit him first.  I rarely used companions in Fallout 2 so maybe that's normal, but Sulik seemed to be more aggressive.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: November 09, 2022, 12:24:31 pm »

Decided to see what changes have occurred since I last played *cough* seven years ago *cough*.

Tried one of the new seeds - Don't Dig Up - which puts you at the bottom of the map and forces you to make your way upwards, as well as generally messing with the map generation and making the surface a corrupted nightmare hellscape.

Due to the way the map works, I actually ended up defeating the Jungle boss and the new Don't Starve-themed ice boss before I had the items needed to summon the Eater of Worlds (usually the second boss you'll run into). As a result, I had a full set of summoner clothing and a trio of minion hornets when I finally got to him. He died pretty much instantly, and opened up the way to summon the Wall of Flesh, who also didn't stand a chance.

I actually felt a little bad for it - my first run, I remember the fight being a desperate battle as I was pushed off the side of the map, chugging potions while dodging lasers - this time we didn't even get past a couple of screens, and I never had to use any healing items.

Anyway, hardmode's unlocked, and now the real game begins.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: November 09, 2022, 05:03:52 pm »

Hey now, don't dig up just turns the surface into a corrupted hellscape. It's the zenith seed that turns it into a corrupted nightmare hellscape :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: November 14, 2022, 08:47:36 am »

Landed in a randomly-generated sector with an enemy core, the third of a series of such attack maps which included the non-random Overgrowth sector.

Right away, I noticed a huge problem with the map: the only sand, and most of the water, was in enemy-controlled territory. This prevents silicon production, and makes power generation difficult. Lack of silicon makes a lot of things more difficult, especially unit production. Lack of unit production is bad because I can't build Mono or Poly units for quickly mining copper and lead(both are used in nearly everything), and of course, attacking the enemy core.

I did in fact wait for my silicon stockpile to reach the maximum you can bring before launching from the previous map, so I did actually have a limited supply. My first plan, use as much of it as possible building up a mixed ground force to punch as hard as I could, and abandon and relaunch if I ran out of silicon. Then, as I was planning a path of attack, I noticed that most of their defense was anti-ground, with plenty of gaps in their anti-air coverage. I built an air factory and additive reconstructor to produce bombers.

Most of their anti-air guns were basic-tier Duo turrets, which are not good at anti-air. I dealt with those by bombing their ammo supplies, then flying circles around them until their remaining ammo dried up. There was a group of centrally-located Scatter turrets(primary anti-air), and destroyed those by building turrets right next to them. This allowed me to bomb a corridor right to their core. Despite heavy defenses, I was able to distract their air defense for a few seconds as 16 bombers hit the core directly. 3 survived, but the core was destroyed.

Now I have a large map with ample resources that is in no danger of being attacked to build up a strong economy with.

EDIT: Shot an arrow at an incoming fireball. Not only hit it, but it deflected the fireball back at the mage who cast it, killing them with a large burn hole in their chest.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:10:04 pm by Akura »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: November 22, 2022, 05:56:03 pm »

I don't think I'll ever get tired of screaming into the enemy fleet at high speed and unloading four reaper torpedoes into a ship, overloading it, and following up with another four reapers.

Legion (XIV)s are just far too fun.

Starsector
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: November 22, 2022, 07:29:08 pm »

I had epic fetus, incubus, and conjoined. Mega satan was carpet-bombed to until he died.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: November 22, 2022, 08:18:59 pm »

Through sheer force of luck will, I managed to complete a level of 40k:Mechanicus without increasing the awakening level at all. Awakening is a timer that counts up as you do more stuff. But my characters all move quickly (+3 move, +3 hp legs), and 3 fights each with a few scan points (destroying them, even after scanning, lowers awakening by 2/5, and only whole numbers count against you at the end of the mission).

I think I'm getting decent at this game. I just can't manage enough cognition to use the big guns much, so I'm running the 0-cognition gun from the start, a volkite blaster, the best axe, and some of the healing or poking additions you can get for your extra arms.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: November 25, 2022, 02:55:33 pm »

On the gog freebie "Terroir", i just got my first wine award for the best Grenache

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: November 25, 2022, 02:59:27 pm »

That is quite funny.

We think your wine is really great, but nobody thinks much of our award so it doesn’t actually mean anything.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 709