Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129374 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2014, 02:54:52 pm »

Heh, I think we should actually get a new topic for each of this scenarios, as this one is getting really messy, really quickly.

Also, I would say that Allies would have a pretty good chance against Soviets in 1945; there is a very good reason to believe that, and this reason is the fact that Stalin didn't attack them. He wanted communism to spread to all corners of the world; only superior military could stop him from doing that. And as he didn't sweep down on West in 1945... Well, at least in his mind Soviets didn't have enough of an advantage.
All that said, we need to take into account that Western Allies had some pretty damn impressive generals. Soviets had Zhukov, who was as incompetent as it gets...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »

Okay, another interesting possible topic is, what would have happened if the Normans were defeated at Hasting.

Interesting. Probably no Great Britain nor Empire, and as a result no USA in the way we would identify it. A non unified and probably infighting British Isles would have been a tempting cherry for any of the early middle age powers.
This is a blank sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2014, 02:57:36 pm »

Dont often hear people describe Zhukov as incompetent.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:10 pm »

Heh, I think we should actually get a new topic for each of this scenarios, as this one is getting really messy, really quickly.
Scenarios come and go and multiple threads clutter and fight one another across all theatres of board operation until only one thread yet remains, subjecting all others to its unending hegemony in the top spot above a sea of emotion megathreads.

Also, I would say that Allies would have a pretty good chance against Soviets in 1945; there is a very good reason to believe that, and this reason is the fact that Stalin didn't attack them. He wanted communism to spread to all corners of the world; only superior military could stop him from doing that. And as he didn't sweep down on West in 1945... Well, at least in his mind Soviets didn't have enough of an advantage.
All that said, we need to take into account that Western Allies had some pretty damn impressive generals. Soviets had Zhukov, who was as incompetent as it gets...
One of the most successful generals in WWII was incompetent?

Okay, another interesting possible topic is, what would have happened if the Normans were defeated at Hasting.
Interesting. Probably no Great Britain nor Empire, and as a result no USA in the way we would identify it. A non unified and probably infighting British Isles would have been a tempting cherry for any of the early middle age powers.
Also the British Isles would look decidedly more Scandinavian and the Byzantine Empire wouldn't get to make its extensive use of the Varangian Guard as the English would not have felt the same need to flee.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2014, 03:08:39 pm »

Scenarios come and go and multiple threads clutter and fight one another across all theatres of board operation until only one thread yet remains, subjecting all others to its unending hegemony in the top spot above a sea of emotion megathreads.

One of the most successful generals in WWII was incompetent?

Also the British Isles would look decidedly more Scandinavian and the Byzantine Empire wouldn't get to make its extensive use of the Varangian Guard as the English would not have felt the same need to flee.

Scandanavian, Germanic or Celtic, depending on who was left standing after the repeated infighting.
This is a blank sig.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2014, 03:13:38 pm »

Dont often hear people describe Zhukov as incompetent.
Zhukov did made some colossal failures during WW2. I wouldn't dismiss him or anyone else in the Red Army as woefully incompetent at the end of the war, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:16:14 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

What about the development of Ireland without Britain interfering? Would we see them grow to be a powerful nation of some sort? Or would they be riddled by infighting like England, Scotland, and Wales?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »

What about the development of Ireland without Britain interfering? Would we see them grow to be a powerful nation of some sort? Or would they be riddled by infighting like England, Scotland, and Wales?

The Irish provinces were just as infighty as the Scots, Welsh and Anglos.
This is a blank sig.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2014, 03:24:25 pm »

Yeah, that's true, but would one of them come out dominant without the influence of a strong nation interfering? or would other nations take actions to move into Ireland and stake a claim? France perhaps? Without England's strong navy to stand against them they would have an easier time claiming the seas.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2014, 03:43:23 pm »

Yeah, then they'd have to contend with the Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese. America would also be French.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »

Clearly, with the British out of the way, Courland would have colonized the New World.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2014, 03:50:30 pm »

Yeah, then they'd have to contend with the Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese. America would also be French.

I suspect the Spanish influence on the USA would also be far more significant.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2014, 03:55:44 pm »

I suspect the Spanish influence on the USA would also be far more significant.
And when no one's watching the Icelandic Empire pulls the rug out from Europe.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »

Hmm. I could see the British Isles becoming part of the Kalmar Union in the absence of a Norman influence, and a very Scandinavian US as a result, too.
This is a blank sig.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »

I secretly want a dominant Ireland (Irish here), but I recognize that reality does not equal Crusader Kings 2.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 82