Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246451 times)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #945 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »

Basically forum people are our people.  We wander the plains of the internet, grazing on your arguments about game mechanics.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

Beware the poison of the derail bushes or the spikes of the spambot shrub.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 08, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »

Basically forum people are our people.  We wander the plains of the internet, grazing on your arguments about game mechanics.

That is a truly terrifying diet.  However if that's what you did for Dredmor, it worked well.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 09, 2014, 02:27:18 am »

Daniel,

I have to ask.  How much focus does your team place on humor and the macabre during development?

In planning sessions, do you try to somehow quantify hilarity and potential for "fun", even if it's just by voting or something?

I am imagining in my head what a team meeting to discuss featured might evolve into at Gaslamp, and while it's probably not very accurate, I'm wondering how inaccurate it might be.

Have you ever considered hiding a camera from the rest of the team for a team meeting, then after it's over, going through and editing out the parts that might be objectionable or otherwise not releasable, and let us see how your team interacts in a planning / feature discussion meeting?

I have a sneaky suspicion that even if only you knew about the camera during the meeting, it would still be hilarious.  If the rest of the team knew about it, it would probably devolve into madness because you certainly appear to have a great deal of latent ham on your team.

Watching from the sidelines as a dev team builds something with as much potential as CE seems to have is entertaining to begin with.  You guys take it over the top.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »

Well if there's any hint as to what their development meetings are usually like, it normally involves a knife fight or two to get them to agree to something.*

*There's a comic strip somewhere that I can't find the URL for that has them knife fighting and it's driving me crazy that I can't find it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:44 pm »

Well if there's any hint as to what their development meetings are usually like, it normally involves a knife fight or two to get them to agree to something.*

*There's a comic strip somewhere that I can't find the URL for that has them knife fighting and it's driving me crazy that I can't find it.
Good sir!
The pit is far more than some mere plebeian knife fighting institution! It is a place where the honour and valour of ideas is fought for with all varieties of weapons.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 10, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

I don't know which blog post had it, though.

Edit: Conflict Resolution; Tools for all people.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:39:24 pm by 0x517A5D »

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »

Hahaha oh yes.  The pit.  We moved offices, so we don't have a Pit anymore...  It's really sad, but there's an alley that's probably even more dangerous.

Humo(u)r is something we have a knack for just because of the team chemistry.  We make jokes in games just as a part of being in the office together.  It's a weird, cool experience, and a great way to manage the stress of game development.  It actually got a little out-of-hand with Dungeons of Dredmor.  At the time, we just put in what we thought was entertaining because it was the sort of game which should: it really matched the tone of the art and alleviated a lot of the stress of playing roguelikes. 

With Clockwork Empires we're putting a bit more of a filter on what goes in.  David, Nicholas and I each do a bit of policing on the content to make sure that the tone stays just right.  CE is not zany like Dredmor.  The humor is very dark, partially because it fits the setting, it informs (and is informed by) the art, and giving players decisions that they should feel a combination of guilt and satisfaction from are very interesting and worth talking about.

So we make dark jokes all the time, there are some in Dredmor, we're just filtering out the random pop culture stuff and focusing on the things that are period appropriate, a little macabre, and some that are just sort of British for the colonial angle.  The frontier has always been an exceptionally dangerous, dirty, horrible place, filled with pain.  We want to show that a little bit, but give it a stiff upper lip and make that entertaining and enjoyable.

As far as capturing the process, it's an interesting idea.  I have thought at one time or another to just put up a webcam, but if you've ever watched Notch stream dev work you'd know that it's 99% very uninteresting entertainment.  We grumble and we type and we drink lots of coffee.  There's also a fair amount of stuff that isn't PG, and what is interesting and fun to watch wouldn't happen in a specific context.  It would just be too difficult.  The best we can do is to provide video interviews now and then, as our enthusiasm and camaraderie pretty accurately seems to come across in those.  I keep joking that we should publish a book based on our internal blogs, wiki, commit messages, and tweets, but now there is no time, there is only the deadline.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:46 pm »

I am interested in hearing more about this deadline.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 10, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »

I am interested in hearing more about this deadline.
Indeed. Inform us of this deadline. Or cower in fear as I cut my hands and draw strange bloody shapes in the air.

I am prepared to deploy WED.

Weapons of eldritch destruction.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 10, 2014, 02:56:10 pm »

Heh, I am waiting to have a barbershop on top of a pie shop.   ;)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 10, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »

Can't really go into specifics, as due to our strange industry they're actually worth a fair amount on the open market to the Right People.  I'll answer your questions about them once they come to light though.  Please don't cast that spell on me.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:08 pm »

I have thought at one time or another to just put up a webcam, but if you've ever watched Notch stream dev work you'd know that it's 99% very uninteresting entertainment.  We grumble and we type and we drink lots of coffee.
This gave me a mental image of a sped up video, covering an office setting, with a table where empty cans of energy drinks starts stacking up.
Time = Can^2?

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

Can't really go into specifics, as due to our strange industry they're actually worth a fair amount on the open market to the Right People.  I'll answer your questions about them once they come to light though.  Please don't cast that spell on me.

Already did. This particular abomination uses paranoia to drive its targets insane. Every time something fails in your life you will wonder if its because you refused my diabolical and nefarious demands. Soon the torment will be too much and the creature shall feed on your delicious insanity.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2014, 03:18:11 pm »

Already did. This particular abomination uses paranoia to drive its targets insane. Every time something fails in your life you will wonder if its because you refused my diabolical and nefarious demands. Soon the torment will be too much and the creature shall feed on your delicious insanity.

So business as usual then?  Good stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 105