Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246454 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - **Earliest access! Testing Details linked in OP **
« Reply #1410 on: July 24, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

I believe these spelling mistakes changes were done in the Shakespearean way to give deeper meaning to the word*.
Estableished was to show that not only was this established; it also had table like qualities.

(http://blog.shakespearegeek.com/2008/03/original-spelling-argument.html):
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 24, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »

I believe these spelling mistakes changes were done in the Shakespearean way to give deeper meaning to the word*.
Estableished was to show that not only was this established; it also had table like qualities.

(http://blog.shakespearegeek.com/2008/03/original-spelling-argument.html):

The fact that he then goes on to spell the word correctly, every other time it appears, goes against your theory. It simply looks like he misspelt the word initially, but forgot to edit.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 24, 2014, 03:59:17 pm »

Rotating works, thanks guys - now, is there a key to delete objects that are incorrectly placed?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 24, 2014, 06:00:25 pm »

Rotating works, thanks guys - now, is there a key to delete objects that are incorrectly placed?

Aside from wiping the whole floorplan before beginning construction and starting over, there is not. Yet.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 24, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »

Meh! Seems like a pretty fundamental thing in a game where building and adding furniture plays a key role...I've dived in, and recognise it's in 'Earliest Access' stage, but there are some really integral things that I just can't believe aren't present yet!

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:18 pm »

Well, core systems are more important than playability atm.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 24, 2014, 06:20:22 pm »

Remember, we couldn't add things to corners for a while.  Just give it some time, it's on the list.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »

Yeah, it's miles ahead of where it was when I got the testing invite. Patience.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »

Being able to rotate something is secondary to being able to... you know, place it at all. Use it properly. And actually construct it in the first place.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »

But... you can rotate it? And place anything, and build anything (that's currently implemented). There's just not renovation yet. Since the point of this is to make sure the game doesn't blow up/crash/melt, and all. Priorities.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:22 am »

You can rotate it, but you can't delete something you accidentally place. Or save.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 25, 2014, 08:20:31 am »

You can rotate it, but you can't delete something you accidentally place. Or save.

All of these things have already been stated - I can't tell if you're deliberately trolling or just a massive kill-joy.

This is exactly the problem with early access though, even when you're as crystal clear on how early it is, people still say 'but why isn't this in yet!!'

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 25, 2014, 09:00:28 am »

All of these things have already been stated - I can't tell if you're deliberately trolling or just a massive kill-joy.

This is exactly the problem with early access though, even when you're as crystal clear on how early it is, people still say 'but why isn't this in yet!!'

They have been clearly stated as not being in yet, but what I'm saying is they seem to be base-level mechanics that most games have in from a very early stage.

I'm not bemoaning 'Earliest Access' or Early Access, I have been present on a number of public and private Alpha and Beta tests, it simply baffles me how two seemingly core mechanics (they aren't flavour additions!) haven't been implemented at this stage.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 25, 2014, 10:53:51 am »

From what I've gathered over at the gaslamp forums, saving was close to working fine on some test systems back before the earliest access was announced, but a loophole cropped up in a test case last-minute (windows 7 32-bit, IIRC) that exposed a flaw with the whole thing and they decided to plug that, redoing a big chunk of the save code in the process or some such. One of the coders is spending 100% of his time working on saves right now.

As for buildings... deleting the interior modules probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. Deleting the punch-through-walls exterior modules will be a Very Big Deal. I'm guessing it was a choice between doing the easy part first and leaving out the second, doing both with prolonged internal testing that would have delayed the game by quite a bit and still likely had problems on release (which they'd have to re-code), or waiting on it til the game was stable and letting a large group of voluntary testers poke at the system to save development time for other things (like making sure the game doesn't catch on fire and explode while drinking all the good beer).

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 25, 2014, 11:04:21 am »

They have been clearly stated as not being in yet, but what I'm saying is they seem to be base-level mechanics that most games have in from a very early stage.

I'm not bemoaning 'Earliest Access' or Early Access, I have been present on a number of public and private Alpha and Beta tests, it simply baffles me how two seemingly core mechanics (they aren't flavour additions!) haven't been implemented at this stage.

1) If your definition of "core" is "anything that isn't flavor", we have differing definitions, though "flavor" isn't particularly well-defined, either, and prone to subjective interpretation.

2) Personally, and I assume for Retropunch, as well, you're drawing a distinction between "bemoaning 'Earliest Access'" and expressing your bafflement that we do not accept as existing.

So, what I'm saying is, it all comes down to semantics. :-)
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 105