Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 682928 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3825 on: June 12, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »

Since homosexual behavior is all over the place with social mammals (and occasionally outside that category), it's probably safe to assume it has a benefit, even if we can't quite identify it.

Well Homosexuality =/= Doesn't do sex with opposite gender (Then again Sex with same gender =/= Homosexual >_< but that is a debate for another day)

However if we had to look towards an animal for a possible template for the benefit of same sex pairings... Look no further than Elephants.

In their advanced age Elephants will typically pair up with a member of the same sex.... Well female elephants do at least.

Sure it isn't homosexual... But it gives a good idea.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: June 12, 2017, 10:19:59 pm »

A plausible alternative in the evolutionary discussion is that homosexual behavior isn't beneficial, but is "neutral". Species require social sexuality, all members of a species look fairly alike regardless of sex, and so sexual attraction is sometimes developed towards one's own sex. If it does no harm to the species overall, there will be no genetic pressure against this outcome.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »

Anyway, with mental illness wouldn't it need to have negative effects?
Being sexually and/or romantically attracted to members of the same sex is a pretty huge negative effect that you appear to have overlooked, but I would really rather not be banned (at least not while I have RTDs I need to participate in!) so if you'll forgive me I would rather not continue this conversation here.   

Not that I really intended to participate in a "conversation" to begin with- I just couldn't let the original insult slide without at least saying something.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: June 12, 2017, 10:29:39 pm »

... quite a lot of people would disagree, there. Also not quite sure how you'd call the starting bit an insult. Caricature, sure, but they're arguments spurious enough to stand it. But a'ight.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:01 pm »

"Insulting comment" would perhaps have been a better term for it, but that would have made the second paragraph of my post too long, causing it to spill over onto a second line of text and triggering my OCD, probably then causing me to ramble some more to balance it out and leaving the entire post an unsightly mess overall. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: June 12, 2017, 10:43:14 pm »

True being gay does attract gay bashers... which is a HUGE negative.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: June 12, 2017, 10:51:17 pm »

I respect if you don't want to talk about it, Yoink, but I am honestly curious.  Both about why there's a huge negative effect, and also what you perceived as an insult.

Of course this forum is heavily supportive of LGBT, so I understand if you'd rather go by PMs.  Otherwise you could get flooded with aggressive replies, which leads to anger, which leads to bans ):  It's kinda brave to speak up about it, I think we should try to encourage (or at least allow) that to some extent.

Because honestly I'm just as mystified as CrocAndBearLover.  The only compelling case against homosexuality I've ever heard has been people parroting that it's gross, my whole life, a sentiment I internalized.
But why though.  Is there any rational reason?

Argument 3 is the closest I've seen, but it just doesn't hold up.  Australia's weird for supposedly needing more people.  If banning same-sex marriage encourages population growth, should China ration hetero marriage?  Child-rearing is still incentivized in America by tax benefits, surely that makes more sense.  Unless population growth in Australia is limited by genitals rather than means.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:02 pm »

Yoink could be referring to the belief that Gay Sex causes injury, disease, and cancer.

That would be a belief that would piss people off to hear.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:53 am »

He did say:
Has anyone ever made a good argument against LGBT, particularly gays?
...You went on to list three of them?* ???   
Sorta curious which three of those four he considered valid. 

As for injury and cancer, that's just a certain type of sex if I, um, understand correctly.  It's commonly associated with gay people, but it's hardly synonymous.  Heterosexuals do it, and gay people have many other options.

Disease is also something everybody has to deal with, even AIDS.  And we've come a long way, maybe partially due to being allowed to date normally in public.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3834 on: June 13, 2017, 12:48:46 am »

Given the fuzzy nature of an electron's position, is there any way to define the size of one ine a way that make sense?

Not really, AFAIK. We have an upper bound on the size, but no real way to measure a lower bound (at least, with current technology).

What does the upper bond relate to?

Weird rest mass-energy shenanigans I don't properly understand.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:10 am »

Oh, man. Can of worms there, though I agree that it is a mental deviation from the natural pattern.

Actually, while the bomb is sitting on the table anyway, I have a question regarding homosexuality. Why are so many gays so obviously gay? The speech, the sentiments, the hand gestures. Sometimes even the clothing. It's surreal.

Keep in ming the obvious selection bias. You're going to notice the "obviously gay" guy, while assuming the normal looking gay guy is straight.  Out of all my friends that are gay/lesbian (which is what, 7? 8? I haven't had my morning coffee yet), only one could count as "obviously gay". Although even in that case I assumed he was just standard Italian and only learned he was gay when he told me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:20:25 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:02 am »

Oh, man. Can of worms there, though I agree that it is a mental deviation from the natural pattern.

Actually, while the bomb is sitting on the table anyway, I have a question regarding homosexuality. Why are so many gays so obviously gay? The speech, the sentiments, the hand gestures. Sometimes even the clothing. It's surreal.

Keep in ming the obvious selection bias. You're going to notice the "obviously gay" guy, while assuming the normal looking gay guy is straight.  Out of all my friends that are gay/lesbian (which is what, 7? 8? I haven't had my morning coffee yet), only one could count as "obviously gay". Although even in that case I assumed he was just standard Italian and only learned he was gay when he told me.
Sure. But to bring up my previous point regarding the television show which brought it to mind (Pointless), you know which pairs are gay and which are just friends. Every single time. Just because of how they stand, use their hands, talk and dress.

That's what's so confusing. Statistically speaking, I know there've been a few gays I haven't known were gays. But every single one I've seen on that programme is instantly recognisable for what he/she is.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:58 am »

I don't know that show, but keep in mind that they're not a random sample. It could be that whoever is in charge of casting prefers to grab stereotypical gays to make it easier for the audience.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: June 13, 2017, 03:28:01 pm »

Say you have a server, with some files on it that are publicly accessible. When someone accesses that server and downloads a file, are you charged for that bandwidth?
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 636