Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Temperature gauge  (Read 2053 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature gauge
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:47 pm »

I would prefer the vague terms like in embark and adventure mode. You could check any visible tile using the 'k' menu. If Toady implements some kind of system where dwarves need LoS (potentially during the Lighting Arc) then it could very easily respect that.

If for some reason you need a more accurate reading then you could use a special item (modded or otherwise) or DFHack.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 03:40:16 am »

I'd like for it to be re-settable in the same way that keybindings are.
resettable in-game undermines the whole purpose of it being vague...

"Hmm let's just reset this to equal 100, 200, 300, 400."
"Oh look it triggered for 300. Let's just reset it now to equal 300, 325, 350, 375."
That was the idea. If the player wanted to reset the temperature and retrigger the thing they're messing with, they could do so, but it'd be a pain. Keeping it as an init option would make it even more of a pain, but I find navigating the keybinding menu to be bad enough.

It just occurred to me that precise temperature readings are already possible in-game. Take an item, leave it in the place you want measured, save the game, and starting fiddling with the boiling point of the item's material.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:06 am »

It just occurred to me that precise temperature readings are already possible in-game. Take an item, leave it in the place you want measured, save the game, and starting fiddling with the boiling point of the item's material.

You can already get a precise temperature reading using DFHack's probe command.  I thought the idea was to get a notion of temperature in game-appropriate terms.  Measuring temperature in degrees wasn't a thing in DF's timeframe.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:57:05 pm »

DFHack is a third-party program.

The game itself has to measure degrees in order to fit them into a temperature category. The 'lame, magical information' about the exact temperature of a tile is currently available as part of DF, but it would still be nice to have temperature categories beyond 'dangerously hot' and 'dangerously cold'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]