Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 696845 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Harsh Existence of Space Pioneers
It is the start of twenty-fifth century, and with it comes an end to a century long period of warfare that had been fueled by an increasing scarcity in mineral and fossil fuels. The two things that allowed this period of fierce bloodshed to come to a close are the Third Russian-American Treaty that led to the establishment of the United Earth Peacekeeping Force, and the advancements in nuclear power generation brought on by Julias Garcia.

The Third Russian-American Treaty came about after the complete slaughter of three hundred thousand innocent civilians during the Fifth Siege of Moscow, a battle which occurred between the West American Union and the New Soviet Bloc. With this treaty all of the powers involved in the conflict agreed to fund the creation of a peacekeeping force that would enforce a law making all warfare illegal on the surface of Earth. This peacekeeping force became known as the United Earth Peacekeeping Force or UEPF, and it based itself in the remains of the territory that once was known as Great Britain.

With this treaty, and the realization that continued warfare would doom the human race's ability to survive on the currently fragile surface of Earth all nations turned their sights to the sole untapped source of land, and income. Space.

Dozens of factions began to ramp up research, and funding into space programs all of them vying to be the first into space and the first to acquire a source of power in this untapped domain. This sudden focus triggered the Second Space Race which would last nearly eighty-five years, and would encompass the very first of numerous conflicts that would occur in space. During this time an unrivaled genius appeared in the employ of the UEPF, one Julias Garcia who would single-handedly manage to advance knowledge on nuclear power generation and solar power by what surely would've taken three hundred years otherwise.

By the end of the period that would become to be known as the Second Space Race dozens of nations made it out into the depths of space, and established strongholds in that vast, endless reach. With these strongholds came a much needed influx of resources, and in some cases (like the West American Union's Lunar solar field) near endless power came the new Era and calendar. The new calendar was declared the Space Frontier Era, and would later come to be known as the era of Space Pioneers, brave men and women who set out into the darkness of space to establish small footholds for humanity. This is the tale of one such group, and their struggles to create a new life in space.

This was an idea born from a single sentence that I thought of the other day, the entirety of which was 'What if the New Soviet Bloc ended up causing war to be outlawed on Earth?'. I'll not go into how I came up with that idea, because my brain thinks in a pattern reminiscent or a can shot with a 12-gauge shotgun. Anyway the basic idea is that the players are a group of Space Pioneers who start out with some basic gear, a simple spaceship, and the rights to create some small outpost in their own corner of space whether that be on the Moon, Mars, or even the Asteroid Belt. The players must do their all to build an outpost, and create enough excess resources to survive and possibly even prosper in the frontier of space.

That is the basics of the backstory I have for the game though I'm still wondering how to handle the actual game, I could make it just a six player group of PCs setting up an outpost but that seems like a rather small group. On the other hand I could make it a group of NPCs led by the PCs, but then I'd have to figure out how I want loyalty and such to be handled for the NPCs. Any thoughts on the setting itself, or ideas on whether to go only PCs or PCs and NPCs are very much appreciated.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I'd play it.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile

Why not have 10 player then each player brings along a companion.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

That sounds absolutely suicidal.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've handled 10+ players each in two of my games without any problems. What's so bad this time around?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've handled 10+ players each in two of my games without any problems. What's so bad this time around?
Key word: I've.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Good lord are we talking about over 6 player games again?

That never turns out well (Unless you're sean mirrisan then you can just barf out a goddamn novel for three hundred turns man was a machine)

Believe me, I know. I was there for the Incident.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:40:52 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because I know my capabilities as a GM, and the systems I use tend to require a moderate amount of work and time to run turns with along with updating statuses for the PCs and their equipment. Generally speaking for any game with a system beyond the basic d6 having ten players is going to end up killing it as the workload wears the GM out. At least that is how I feel about going beyond six players.

Going above (at most) eight players is almost always a bad idea, a GM's focus should be on providing a fun time for the players and increasing the number of players only serves to increase the GM's workload and detract from time that would have been better spent focusing on making a lower number of players turns at a higher quality. Of course that is just my thought's on player limits, so please no one take that as me saying this is the absolute rule you must follow. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm re-reading Kingspawn of Allochthon. What a masterpiece.
* Yoink wipes tears of laughter from his eyes.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Key word: I've.

Your games are an arena and a minimalist game, both of which can typically handle large numbers of players without issue. This is because you don't have to worry about making the setting feel original/novel, the NPCs feel human (or alien, as the case may be), the plot feel dramatic, or anything else. You need to keep the pointy bits of metal going into other people. Actually running a game with a story, regions that are more than colored paper-mache, engaging characters, funny moments properly interspersed with thought provoking drama... That's orders of magnitude more challenging.

Thinking of it as a complexity algorithm. Minimalist games and arenas vary in complexity from constant time algorithms up to nLogn algorithms. Anything with an interactive story or background puts you firmly in the realm of n^2+.  (n being the number of players in this vague and meandering CS analogy)

Going above (at most) eight players is almost always a bad idea, a GM's focus should be on providing a fun time for the players and increasing the number of players only serves to increase the GM's workload and detract from time that would have been better spent focusing on making a lower number of players turns at a higher quality. Of course that is just my thought's on player limits, so please no one take that as me saying this is the absolute rule you must follow. :P

Eight players can be done with a rules low (or lookups low) system where the game is more about fluidity than big set-pieces. I've never managed it, and you were there for my one attempt at it with two teams of four.

Certainly not an absolute rule, but as a general rule: A game with more than 2 GMs* or more than 8 Players, that is neither minimalist nor PVP based, needs to have a long talk with itself before it goes outside. It can work, but it's going to be hard.

*Absolute Rule: Read about what Derm refers to, quite aptly, as the 'the Incident' if you ever want to try something with more than 4 GMs simultaneously. Write a dissertation over why 'the Incident' failed so spectacularly, and what makes you think you're qualified to avoid it. When complete, slam your head into the resulting document until you lose consciousness. God help you if you still want to try.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:54:16 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm re-reading Kingspawn of Allochthon. What a masterpiece.
* Yoink wipes tears of laughter from his eyes.
Aaaaaannd I finished it. Cut down before its time What a tragedy.
* Yoink wipes tears of grief from his eyes and stifles a sob.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Is this Incident something unmentionable or can you give some pointers where to find more about it?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe it was called Eternal Rtd. Iirc the idea was to rotate the gm to avoid burnout, more or less. It didn't last long.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe it was called Eternal Rtd. Iirc the idea was to rotate the gm to avoid burnout, more or less. It didn't last long.

Actually, I don't think that's the Incident that Derm is referring to. I think I remember the endless RTD, and while I remember it failing, I don't remember it quite reaching the spectacle of the Incident. It was still one GM at a time, not 5 GMs knit together by 6th Arch-GM.
---

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Good lord are we talking about over 6 player games again?
That never turns out well (Unless you're sean mirrisan then you can just barf out a goddamn novel for three hundred turns man was a machine)
Believe me, I know. I was there for the Incident.

ER is running a 6 man mission right now... on top of a 22 man mission. And 5 or so dweebs on planet, and another handful on ship.

Granted, it needs a wiki to keep its shit together, but still. It's all doable.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 661