Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The old guard  (Read 1989 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
The old guard
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

The senate and supreme court seem a little too resistant to change.

For the senate, I played through 3 straight elections after disbanding for 30 years to let my sleepers do some work.  Every time, the country was elite liberal on all the issues.  Two of those three there was extreme public interest on at least one issue.  There were barely any seat changes, even when I cheated to rerun the elections several times.  Although the senate is about 60% elite liberal it's doesn't count as an elite liberal institution.

But that's pretty progressive compared to the supreme court.  Sherry Africa refuses to step down.  She's been on the bench for more then 72 years now.  While we all know that senile decrepit fossils on the supreme court is traditional, I think she's pushing it a little far.  I can just picture the news right now
"Our top story tonight, according to experts, Chief Justice Sherry Africa is STILL dead.  As of yet, still no sign that she intends to step down.  In other news, Liberal Crime Squad founder Kristin Stone raided Conservative Daily News today.  She wandered around for half an hour, chatting with all the elite liberals working in the organization before going on the air and making senile ramblings about the threats to our liberal freedoms which existed half a century ago.  She then fled on foot at approximately half a mile per hour, setting a new speed record for a hundred year old woman on a walker."

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
Re: The old guard
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

I feel your pain, as I'm having the same kind of problems.  Well, not with the senate, they've been elite liberal for a decade, but the Supreme court has been a thorn in my side forever.  Currently it contains a single elite liberal.  I've been just skipping time, my sleepers are plenty to keep the cause active, so me and my cadre of elite liberals have been waiting for decades, with only very occasional changes to the supreme court.  You should be able to enact specific changes to them, or they should change more quickly on their own.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

There is a constitutional amendment designed to short circuit the supreme court process and declare victory, but I believe it requires everything else (all issues, both houses of congress, and the executive branch) to all be elite liberal before the game will take it up. When you lose the game, it's generally because of the conservative counterpart to this amendment. Have you been seeing this amendment?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

I wish that if you start in Washington DC, you get a special senate building. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

I wonder how hard (and processor intensive) it would be to assign age to all the relevant characters (all your activists and sleepers obviously, but also the supreme judges and in future various antagonists of note)

then once you reach some ages you get penalties to stats (and bonuses too- for teenagers when they grow up), and after a certain age you get ever increasing chance to die of old age every month (like say it would be 1/10000 at 50, but go up to 1/100 every month by the time you reach 90)

[ March 12, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Not inherently hard, and you wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever on game performance. Biggest challenges (and they aren't big, just things that need to be done) are:

1) Supreme Court and other officeholders are not people, they are nothing more than an alignment and, at most, a group of letters to represent a name. No reason an age can't be added to this, but it wouldn't be as clean to code aging if there are a lot of special non-persons that need to be aged as well.

2) Aging would need to be managed on a daily basis, and we'd just need to have some algorithm for deciding whether people are getting old and dying.

3) Birthdates and starting ages have to be assigned to the founder according to the initial option they choose, if character ages are to be shown to the player.

Old saves would be broken. Truly, the only actual problem is just that somebody would have to do it, and it sounds dreadfully boring to me.  ;)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

well I guess I could try to do it. (I learned pascal instead of C in school though, so I don't know if I'm really able).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

I have everything except the supreme court at elite liberal (all green in the status page).  Still no luck.  Damn Judges, why can't they be more like my many sleeper judges.  

Be able to kidnap and do the interrogation thing to supreme court judges (and other important members of the government).

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

Would be cool if your sleeper judges could be "accidentally" picked for the Supreme Court, and only show their true colors when they get on the bench. Wouldn't be the first time a Supreme Court justice has veered hard left after getting a lifetime term on the court.  ;)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

I've yet to see the amendment in action but that's probably due too the senate being too moderate liberally.  Guess I'll just go get more sleepers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »

I saw that ammendment once...it was nearly accepted, but fell short. Would have insta-won the game for me though.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Would be cool if your sleeper judges could be "accidentally" picked for the Supreme Court, and only show their true colors when they get on the bench. Wouldn't be the first time a Supreme Court justice has veered hard left after getting a lifetime term on the court.   ;)</STRONG>

!!! That just gave me an idea.
You should be able to have your liberals run for president. If they win, they would naturally appoint judges from among your side whenever one steps down.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

Eventually I have a fantasy about the political system being more in-depth and descriptive, with a full political season complete with elections and presidential candidates visiting and letting you interfere with the campaign, etc.. At that point, combined with having an external Liberal party organization, you could run a challenger candidate. Might be cool if you could groom somebody for the Presidency by first getting them into Congress and such. Or perhaps adopt an existing Elite Liberal politician and get them to come to you for policy cues. I don't know, really, just something to think about.