Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: DF eBook Megaproject  (Read 12482 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: DF eBook Megaproject
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 03:59:26 pm »

Do you honestly think an ebook of stories would get more people interested in Dwarf Fortress- legalities aside?

The game brought us together to the forum- the forum then exposed us to the stories.
As such to make the assumption that these stories will bring people to the game is completely wacky. You are taking a process, reversing it, and assuming all the variables hold true.

In the end, the ebook would most likely benefit us, the current players, over anyone else. That is why we, the current players, are asking for it- not the prospective players.

Boatmurdered has been cited by like half of everyone as what got them into DF.  This isn't a far-fetched idea.  Your examples from your prior post make it pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Please note that none of the many people who drew fanart of The Simpsons ever got sued.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »

Goron, my apologies. I see so many copyright discussions turning into flamewars that I have a bad habit of just taking hostility for granted beyond 3 or 4 posts.
That's no excuse though. I apologize and withdraw my quote.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 05:22:07 pm »

Do you honestly think an ebook of stories would get more people interested in Dwarf Fortress- legalities aside?

The game brought us together to the forum- the forum then exposed us to the stories.
As such to make the assumption that these stories will bring people to the game is completely wacky. You are taking a process, reversing it, and assuming all the variables hold true.

In the end, the ebook would most likely benefit us, the current players, over anyone else. That is why we, the current players, are asking for it- not the prospective players.

Boatmurdered has been cited by like half of everyone as what got them into DF.  This isn't a far-fetched idea.  Your examples from your prior post make it pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Please note that none of the many people who drew fanart of The Simpsons ever got sued.
Ok, so of all you that got into game from boatmurdered, I'd like an honest count of the number that tried the game, then quit until they found a guide or tutorial or the wiki.

EDIT:
Goron, my apologies. I see so many copyright discussions turning into flamewars that I have a bad habit of just taking hostility for granted beyond 3 or 4 posts.
That's no excuse though. I apologize and withdraw my quote.
Thank you. That was actually very kind.
I was frustrated to see the rant accusation when all along I was in no way opposed to the concept of compiling stories (and actually see no legal reason why it couldn't be done- for the community or succession forts, at least- stories like kobald's quest may be trickier without author permission-and thats only if kobold's quest is single author like i think it is)...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:26:33 pm by Goron »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »

Ok, so of all you that got into game from boatmurdered, I'd like an honest count of the number that tried the game, then quit until they found a guide or tutorial or the wiki.

Please start a separate thread with a poll if you're curious (similar threads already exist, with plenty of people citing Boatmurdered as a primary or contributing influence).  Nobody is obligated to justify this undertaking to you with statistics, and it's especially unfair to the OP for you to derail his/her thread with these demands.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:33:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 05:31:17 pm »

Please start a separate thread with a poll if you're curious.  Nobody is obligated to justify this undertaking to you with statistics, and it's especially unfair to the OP for you to derail his/her thread with these demands.
My apologies.
I am not trying to derail an ebook idea.
I am simply stating that I think if the main goal is to draw new players, there are many other more beneficial paths to take.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »

Well when I started I just figured it out and had a tantrum spiral/food shortage and it was hilarious.
That was enough to keep my interest and I just figured out the interface by myself.
It wasn't that long after, though, that I found the wiki and that made life a lot easier, and also let me know about a lot of features that I was missing.

I think that there are a lot of good reasons to make the book, and I also think you don't really need a good reason. Its just for fun. I don't think we have to sit around being so worried about using it to get new players, or whether or not it will it help people, or what about all of our vague understandings of copyright.

Just do it and see.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »

Maybe it would make some sense to start a new thread in the creative projects section.

Keep it more on topic, and get started on the project.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »

My opinion is that you don't need Goron's permission to do it, and there are probably no actual legal issues to deal with.
!!&!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »

I am simply stating that I think if the main goal is to draw new players, there are many other more beneficial paths to take.

So to put it simply, you are telling someone who had an idea which people obviously like, given the response here, that his idea is not the most efficient way to draw in new players and that he should do something else.

Why don't YOU go do one of those other 'more beneficial' activities and leave the OP alone to pursue his idea?

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 07:42:44 pm »

So, I and everyone I personally know who plays DF got into it after reading boatmurdered and when I try to recruit someone I ask them to read it without telling them it was a game and it usually results in a  "What kind of fabulous thing did this come from?" "Well... its this game.." Thats 6 people and counting on my side purely from Boat murdered.

I think the e-book is a wonderful Idea.

So continue your arguement, and completely disregard my post and any other post that brings evidence against your wrong position. Aslong as the OP continues his idea and add Headshoots to the Ebook, that was one fucked up fortress.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »

I think an e-book would be a great idea, every single person i have shown the game itself give roughly the same response (matrix, meaningless code etc). to have a showcase of the best DF can offer would make most of the people i know interested.
also, how about including a gallery for rendered megaprojects too?

btw, funny thing is -i have never read boatmurdered, i was drawn into the game by /tg/ with the promise of elaborate deathtraps and violent combat.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:00 pm »

"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 02:01:43 pm »

The A Kobolds Ques stories were all writen by a single author, and I doubt he would disagree with you using them, you probably shuld contact him thou. If you have trubble with that I can get his Email, skype haldle, and a few such thing also by the way.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 02:51:12 pm »

Just finished Boatmurdered. Its in the 400 page range. Who knew? Anyway as soon as it finishes exporting, I'll make it available for downloading.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 03:06:52 pm »

To all 'legality' posters:
But you know that your discussion won't make him abandon the project?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8