Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: DF eBook Megaproject  (Read 12517 times)

Angellus

Re: DF eBook Megaproject
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »

To all 'legality' posters:
But you know that your discussion won't make him abandon the project?
No, you refer the legal issue's to the bookmaker who happens to be a magma-man.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2009, 05:16:44 pm »

Uploading the Boatmurdered eBook is put off for a couple of days. I made a large mistake with the pictures. Want a hint as to what i have to do to fix it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:18:30 pm by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »

If the pictures are on a website, grab a firefox extension like downthemall and it will download all the pictures on the page.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2009, 06:50:41 pm »

Yeah you should be able to get a plugin to grab the whole site all at once.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2009, 08:08:00 pm »

Copy/Paste into Onenote, Save as PDF.
This is a 10 minute jobby.. 2 hours if you count all the time Id stop and read the story..

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

yea OneNote is gawd, I love that thing

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:55 pm »

Reading Nist Akath on the forum right now, I'd really love to have it in some sort of offline format.

Good on you for doing this. Archiving stuff from external image sites also a big win, a bunch of nist akath pictures are gone already....
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Angellus

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2009, 04:37:06 am »

How is this project going?

Is there a single webpage which has the whole boatmurdered story by the way?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2009, 04:46:08 am »

Even if not flagrantly illegal, reproducing the short fiction written for the Boatmurdered LP without consent is a pretty flagrant dick move.   It's not like it would be hard to email the originators and ask them.   And it's not like they're particularly likely to say no. 

It's the insinuation that repackaging someone else's efforts is a viable way to contribute to the community that's upsetting.

Is there a single webpage which has the whole boatmurdered story by the way?

Yes, as a quick Google for 'Boatmurdered' turns up. 

Edit:  Rereading the thread, am I correct in that the 'pro-eBook' opinion is basically "Who cares about asking permission and respecting the wishes of the beloved community members who originally made the saga we know and love, I'll do what I want"?   Because I'm having trouble interpreting it as anything else than going out of the way to alienate people who've contributed a great deal.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:54:50 am by Capntastic »

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2009, 06:39:54 am »

It's the insinuation that repackaging someone else's efforts is a viable way to contribute to the community that's upsetting.

Edit:  Rereading the thread, am I correct in that the 'pro-eBook' opinion is basically "Who cares about asking permission and respecting the wishes of the beloved community members who originally made the saga we know and love, I'll do what I want"?   Because I'm having trouble interpreting it as anything else than going out of the way to alienate people who've contributed a great deal.
This is like saying you can't write a book about Caeser without asking him first. Boatmurdered and other stories are a part of the history of DF. Nobody owns the stories or any part of them. They belong to the community. Sure, people contributed to the story, but they don't own it. It is a part of history and is out of the creators' hands. It is for this reason that I believe that this ebook should be created - to document the history of this great game and its community.

And to all those nay-sayers citing legal issues: cry some more. What are you gonna do? Sue the internet? Most of you clearly don't have the foggiest what you're talking about. By some of the logic demonstrated in this thread already, the archives of Boatmurdered that are online are illegal. They are, of course, not. And what is this ebook but a really big archive? If you're going to say that something's illegal, say why instead of giving a general vibe. FYI: reproducing somebody's work without permission - not actually illegal. How do you think newspapers work? Things would be legally iffy if quintin said all of the work was his and began selling it, but it is painfully obvious that he is not doing this.
For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
Did they even call afterward?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2009, 06:58:00 am »

The Let's Play Archives did not ask permission from all of the contributors to let their work be archived. The contributors did not ask Toady for permission to make a short story about the game.

I do not see why archiving Boatmurdered(which, I repeat, has already been archived) would offend anyone in particular. Not unless the situation is disproportionately blown up.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2009, 08:00:15 am »

I do not see why archiving Boatmurdered(which, I repeat, has already been archived) would offend anyone in particular.

Maybe they'll cry over how nice it will look in this flashy sparkling eBook with a cover made out of microcline?
I don't see why anyone would be against an attempt to store DF history, it is already done.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:17 am »

This is like saying you can't write a book about Caeser without asking him first. Boatmurdered and other stories are a part of the history of DF. Nobody owns the stories or any part of them. They belong to the community. Sure, people contributed to the story, but they don't own it. It is a part of history and is out of the creators' hands. It is for this reason that I believe that this ebook should be created - to document the history of this great game and its community.

And to all those nay-sayers citing legal issues: cry some more. What are you gonna do? Sue the internet? Most of you clearly don't have the foggiest what you're talking about. By some of the logic demonstrated in this thread already, the archives of Boatmurdered that are online are illegal. They are, of course, not. And what is this ebook but a really big archive? If you're going to say that something's illegal, say why instead of giving a general vibe. FYI: reproducing somebody's work without permission - not actually illegal. How do you think newspapers work? Things would be legally iffy if quintin said all of the work was his and began selling it, but it is painfully obvious that he is not doing this.

This is quite possibly the most horribly incorrect understanding of copyright law I have ever read, with the possible exception of "it's okay to have a game ROM so long as you delete it within 24 hours." This is simply staggering in how wrong it is.

Congratulations, forum goer. Congratulations.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2009, 01:05:29 pm »

How about a positive effort?
I understand that pretty much nothing is public domain unless expressly released by the author, or out of the term of protection (in the US). I don't really know that much about the tangle of US copyright law besides that, so maybe the people here that do could suggest some workarounds to make it happen?

I'm not sure what steps the OP is already taking, but it might be better to present him with options, instead of 'you're a dick.'

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2009, 04:41:55 pm »

I'd just like to point out that the SA Let's Play forum has rules explicitly stating that all LPs deemed sufficiently awesome will be archived, and it's an opt out program.   So yes, permission was given for the Let's Play Archive to archive Boatmurdered.

Regardless, people like Sarack saying 'cry some more' are pretty dazzling examples of why I'm against this:  It's rude, immature, and generally disrespectful to the community.

Edit:  Sarack, for someone claiming everyone but you in the thread doesn't know what they're talking about, you pretty much missed the entire point of my post.   Let me summarize, again:  Regardless of legality, it's still a really dick move to go out of your way not to ask permission.   It's excluding the people who originally made the thing you so cherish from the 'eBook project'.   Is it really such an unbearable Herculean task to fire off like, a dozen emails and actually contact members of the community? 

Edit:  Looks like I was incorrect about the LP Archive, and it is in fact opt in.   This means that the originators of Boatmurdered wanted LP Archive to host it.   Perhaps if you asked them, Quintin, they'd let you make an authorized copy as well?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:50:19 pm by Capntastic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8