Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Roguelike Shopkeeper Simulator (being created)  (Read 5767 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Roguelike Shopkeeper Simulator (being created)
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

So some may recognize that I attempted to make a game before.  I'm still on that.  But some things just kinda stared at me and went "You sure you wanna tackle me, bub?" so I muttered something about my mother calling and needing to go because I was busy.

Then I thought a bit about what I enjoy.  Autonomous games, or the 'zero-player genre' as some call it.  I opted to do something similar, and make a shopkeeper sim, or 'item shop tale' as some may know it.  Except do it Dwarven.  And that means metal.  In fact, that means 'blacksmith sim' or 'bearded metal midget tale'.

What does that mean?
Material Choices: Every part of a weapon will have a different (or same, if you choose) material.  Axe head, axe shaft, axe handle.  The head can be metal, the shaft can be metal or wood, and the handle can be leather.  Cheap copper axe, oak handle, common leather handle for the farmer.  Exquisite steel blade, iron shaft, troll hide handle for the soldier.

Irrelevant Materials: Silver daggers wouldn't be good for combat.  But maybe a necromancer will buy one.  Solid gold short sword would be terrible.  But perhaps the local priest wants to hang one in the Temple of Eternal Warfare.  Black Bronze arrows are actually made from precious metals and cannot hold an edge.  But maybe an adventurer is hunting a night creature with a particular weakness.  Platinum plate armor is poor.  But it is fancy, and the duke needs something he can rub in everyone else's face when he attends the next royal court.  Steel will be standard, but every item will have its place... somewhere, probably.

Non-Specific Overworld: Nations and wars matter, in the sense that you get better business and it may affect who rules your area and how that ruler handles the market.  You may be approached by one general to make a cluster of spears for his men.  Accepting or denying his request may change the course of a battle, and the war.  Or it may not, and fate tips one way anyways and you're just along for the ride.

Non-Specific Instanced Dungeons: What's that?  Out of iron because goblins have taken the mine?  If only some brave adventurer would go down and clear them out?  Too bad you're a buggery old smith.  But you do have the funds to hire a mercenary...  You can also lend the merc a wheelbarrow.  Sounds like a perfect chance to score some free ore!  There's probably no one selling dragon leather either.  Might want to get a mercenary decked out and on his way to harvest the goodness.

Outfits Matter:  Goblin> "Oh I see you're wearing a metal helmet.  I'll just die then."  Nope.  If your merc isn't wearing leg armor, expect him to come back without shins!  If your plate armor has cheaply-constructed rivets, expect the pauldrons to fall off and expect your customer to hold a grudge over his recently-missing arms!

So what have I got so far?  Not much.  I've mostly been removing code from my last attempt (in a copy, of course).  Item shop doesn't matter about things like Line of Sight, or scrolling map view, or many of these nice things.  This makes it all much simpler and smaller and easier to handle.  I've been brainstorming and pecking at code, and am ready to open myself to Bay12 suggestions and get to work!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Roguelike Shopkeeper Simulator (being created)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:11 pm »

Sounds like a game I would enjoy playing.  If it reaches the point where alpha or beta playtesting might be possible and helpful, offer a chance if you wish feedback.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:16:57 am »

Man, sounds similar to a game I have been planning for a year, but with witches and charms instead of smithing.

My idea: "keeping your shopkeep happy" elements (it is DF inspired, after all). Use the money you get to buy meat instead of plump helmets and drink hearty ale instead of well water. But be careful not to eat too much into your profits.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:40 am »

Sounds pretty cool. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »

Sounds a bit like a game I've stumbled across recently, can't remember the name exactly. But this sounds like a fun idea. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »

Sounds fun enough to play
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »

I'm blundering along with low focus and haphazard attempts, same as usual.  Being how modular I want to make things, items are most differentiated by flags.  Like, you start with an old forge and a crappy stone anvil, but you can upgrade to proper iron equipment, and steel, and all the rest.  A stone anvil, iron anvil, steel anvil, dragon-plate anvil, etc, will all be flagged with [ANVIL] and then a magnitude, like a stone anvil will have a mag of 1, while iron will have more like 5.  Then, items being crafted will have requirements, like ore requires a smelter, so anything [SMELTER] will work.  Then ingots have to be forged, so any [FORGE] will work, mostly.  An iron ingot can be done in a crappy furnace, but an adamantine ingot must be done in a [FORGE] of magnitude 20, so it'll be restricted to the higher-tier equipment.  Magnitude will also play a role in crafting speed.  A furnace is fine, with a mag 1, but a blast furnace would be mag 10, and that magnitude translates into a faster crafting speed when used, or more precision in making higher quality items.

This also simplifies the code quite a bit.  Instead of "Is there a forge nearby?  Is there an iron forge nearby?  Is there an enchanted forge nearby?  Is there a skyforge nearby?"  It'll just say "Is there anything [FORGE] nearby?  No?  Fuck, bailout, abandon ship!"

Which is what I'm doing right now.  Abandoning ship.  Making items and tossing them around the room and checking how their flags behave.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:04 am »

ptw

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »

Sounds fun! I like zero-player games too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:28 pm »

So, by the anvil example, are you simulating craftworks too? How can that work from a "zero player" perspective?

Are you going to put in an order system, adventurer xyz needs shin guards, so he orders some with a budget of X. Your smith checks materials available, and decides whether that is possible or not?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:38:45 pm by Mullet Master »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »

Was this inspired by Jacksmith?!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »

Was this inspired by Jacksmith?!
I could have sworn I referenced that in OP...  Guess not.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »

ANVIL!

Almost like "Hodor!" ;)

Anyway, project sounds great for a start! What are you doing this with? Python?

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 06:52:08 pm »

So, any progress to share? Maybe a Google Code page with a source code for us to peek into?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:58 pm »

So, any progress to share? Maybe a Google Code page with a source code for us to peek into violate thoroughly?

FTFY.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧