Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40.05 appreciation  (Read 1085 times)

TerminallyBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
40.05 appreciation
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:42 am »

Remember all those pre-release hype threads, the rumors, the anticipation, the lurkers coming out of the woodwork? As a fortress only kind of guy, it all sort of passed me by...
jumping, climbing, new sites - meh. adventure mode,
multi-tile trees and new plants - meh. sounds elfy, 
changes to the dwarven mind - meh. 'thinks that introspection is valueless and those that waste time in self-examination are deluded fools',
a truly activated living world - ...actually this was kinda cool, but what of my ancient 34.11 forts and even ancienter(?!?) laptop on which I play...

And then, the new announcements: longpatrol thoughts, projectile tweaks, sensible plantings, non-dwarf diplomats, animal people frequencies... too many to list. And you know what... NOW I'M HYPED!!! So just a very big Thanks Toady!
It has affected me so much I broke my long-standing aversion to internet social interactions (ie: posting). Don't worry Im sure it will wear off soon.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40.05 appreciation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:52 am »

not to mention rock swort swords are now actually capable of cutting things now instead of working has night sticks thanks to obsidian now having proper yield and sheer values now instead of needing to mod them in.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:48 am »

I would like to officially welcome you to the forum, TerminallyBeard! Please enjoy your stay. We have drinks on the table to your right, and if you need anything, just ask. Someone will probably help, eventually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dekana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:00 am »

Seconded! I spent a little bit of time on 40.01 when it came out, but as I mostly play Fortress mode, I ended up going back to DF 2012. However, thanks to the bug fixes in the new version, I plan to start up a new fortress and play the heck out of it! It's amazing what just a couple of weeks of bug fixing accomplished - patrol thoughts, growth bug, teleporting items on deconstruct, dwarfs standing on the spot they want to construct on - all fixed! Also, thanks to the community members who helped find, diagnose, and propose fixes to the various bugs over the last two years.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:11:13 am »

I've been waiting for this particular release before jumping back into the game. I figure many of the biggest problems are taken care of by this point and I should be able to play without many crashes. Now all I need is the Starter Pack to be updated to .05! :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:59:43 am »

I agree the bug fixes make it like playing a whole new game. Also, training now isn't working perfectly but they actually gain skills at a reasonable level. Hooray for Toady!