Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know good books/resources on the Iranian Revolution of 1979?  (Read 1386 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

I'm currently writing an analysis essay based around the Iranian Revolution of 1979 -- yes, the one that involved the Shah of Iran fleeing to the US, and Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini winding up in power as Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic after the smoke cleared. Does anyone here know any good books/resources for it that I could use? Specifically, I need a book that deals with the social, political, and religious impact of the revolution, because I'm writing about the causes and effects. Any additional online journals and such would be greatly appreciated as well, though, because I need to cite at least 3 sources, and at least one of them has to be a book. I'm going to look for them myself, of course, but I figure it might go a bit faster if I made a quick post to see if anyone knew any specific books or resources that could help me out. Thanks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know good books/resources on the Iranian Revolution of 1979?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:55:34 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »

Yeah... but I kinda have to order a book within the next hour or two if it's gonna get here on time. Still, every little bit helps, and my teacher did say she would give me an extension in an E-Mail she sent me. So yeah, tomorrow evening should be fine. Thanks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:55:08 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:13:59 pm »

Oh, wow, seriously? That'd be great to get it from so close to the source... but I'm not desperate for them or anything, so no need to pressure your friend. Thanks a lot, though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:53:22 pm by Vector »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:15:05 pm »

I'm writing about the causes

I have no books to recommend for references, but I suggest you start with the 1953 coup for context. Iran was a parliamentary democracy until a disgreement with a Bristish oil company over who owned Iranian oil. The Iranians thought that they owned it. The British and americans disagreed, so they overthrew the Iranian government, replaced it with a monarchy and put a western-friendly king in charge, so they could continue exploiting their oil resources.

The 1979 revolution ousted the puppet government, but instead of going back to a democracy they ended up instead with a theocracy with a huge vendetta against the west.

Bascally, the whole thing was a huge case of What the Hell, Hero? in 1953 that in 1979 turned out to also be Nice Job Breaking It Hero.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 02:34:38 am »

There's an animated film called Persepolis which covers the Iranian revolution and is worth watching.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 02:35:16 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:53:00 pm by Vector »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »

This includes, among other things, a pretty interesting firsthand account of the revolution by Peter Scholl-Latour, a German journalist who accompanied Khomeini from Paris to Teheran in 1979. Unfortunately it does not appear to have been translated into English...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:15:45 pm by XXSockXX »