Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games you bought that you thought you'd hate, but ended up loving  (Read 2543 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you bought that you thought you'd hate, but ended up loving
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2023, 10:05:39 am »

Also, undo move button with no restrictions or questions asked. Why isn't this a mandatory feature in every game??

The explanation I've seen against an always available 'undo' button is that it allows the player to get information that wasn't previously available to them for free. In a Civ-like game, that could take the form of moving your unit into unknown/unexplored territory. If your move uncovers a hostile unit, then you undo the move, you now know that there's a unit there, allowing you to avoid that square or otherwise prepare for what you now know is in that unexplored space.

In single-player games there's a valid argument that the player is only cheating themselves with this behavior (or that it can be replicated by fast-saving/fast-loading before every more), which I don't disagree with; but it is a valid reason not to allow you to just take back moves willy-nilly.

Edit: Just my luck, getting on the top of a new page with an only moderately-relevant to the thread side-discussion.

Um, okay - On Topic: Luck Be A Landlord sounds sorta ridiculous as a game premise (you're playing a slot machine against ever-increasing rent payments; adding new symbols with every spin to customize the machine to allow you to win enough money.) But I got it as part of a Humble Bundle and decided to give it a go - I've now got over 100 wins under my belt and 68 hours played. It's surprisingly addictive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:13:46 am by AlStar »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2023, 01:03:24 am »

Undertale.  It had the annoying homestuck fandom so I was bah humbug about it for a long time but I couldn't help it, it's impossible not to love everything about it.
Shoes...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 04:27:06 pm »

Um, okay - On Topic: Luck Be A Landlord sounds sorta ridiculous as a game premise (you're playing a slot machine against ever-increasing rent payments; adding new symbols with every spin to customize the machine to allow you to win enough money.) But I got it as part of a Humble Bundle and decided to give it a go - I've now got over 100 wins under my belt and 68 hours played. It's surprisingly addictive.

Slot machines are known to be addictive. This one probably even lets you win. The real world ones don't.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 08:50:11 pm »

Yeh, there's several drafting-style games like luck be a landlord these days... I've seen a RPG-styled one and a farming one just off the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a couple others.

The nice thing about them being games instead of intentionally unwinnable-in-aggregate money-extractors is, yes, they actually let you win, ha.

... though really, while the general presentation is like a slot machine, the actual mechanics are... fairly divorced from how a slot machine works, on any level beyond aesthetics. They're more like a draft based card game or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2023, 01:47:22 am »

Thread title is strange to me. Why would I spend money on something I actively think I won't like?

I wasn't very interested in Deep Rock Galactic, but a friend bought it for me and it's very good. I did not in fact buy it, nor did I expect that I'd hate it, else I wouldn't have even expended the time to try it. :p
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2023, 07:14:46 am »

Thread title is strange to me. Why would I spend money on something I actively think I won't like?
Sometimes you just really want to see how they did the thing in question, and more directly than watching youtube vids or whatev'. You don't expect to enjoy the experience, but you're willing to drop a few bucks to see the attempt at whatever weird design is involved.

That'd be one reason, anyway, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2023, 10:58:45 am »

Sometimes you just really want to see how they did the thing in question, and more directly than watching youtube vids or whatev'. You don't expect to enjoy the experience, but you're willing to drop a few bucks to see the attempt at whatever weird design is involved.

That'd be one reason, anyway, heh.

Actually, for me, watching youtube videos does the opposite of creating hype, it makes anti-hype for me. usually "gonna hate this, looks so bad. Its probably just some youtuber or livestreamer hyping it up for views or being paid for it" even if they aren't, thats the first thing I think of. My mindset is only for the bigger youtubers though, the smaller channels my mind has more trust in. Whether thats fair or not dunno, thats just my mindset sadly cause a lot of youtubers get paid for making a game look good (like all the mobile junky game ads some do and they make them out to be like the next coming of games). So I go in expecting the game to be a piece of junk that was just hyped up, and end up...well...tbh...not liking most of them at all. So I was exactly correct in knowing it was useless youtuber hype or they just like that kinda game :P But do sometimes like one or two every couple months they hype up. In other words, watching videos and livestreams are useless for me.

I gotta actually play the game to really know if I'll like it or not.

With that said...I have a perfect game, though not entirely accurate to the title.

I bought X4 Foundations KNOWING I'd like it. Except, when I got in and did the tutorial it broke and I would have refunded it cause a tutorial breaking? Usually a sign of an extremely bad game, especially when the rest of the tutorials are known to often break completely. I don't mind jankiness (heck love Kenshi), but wow was that a bad impression and "sadly" went above my refund time. But I kept playing, and actually enjoying it a lot...without doing anymore tutorials xD I just did the basic to learn to fly and the controls, thats it. But that was a very terrible first impression.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2023, 08:10:19 pm »

I wasn't very interested in Deep Rock Galactic, but a friend bought it for me and it's very good. I did not in fact buy it, nor did I expect that I'd hate it, else I wouldn't have even expended the time to try it. :p
Yeah, closest I got was CKII

Thought I'd like it after EUIV, didn't like it, decided to stick with it and after 20 hours it suddenly clicked and I spent over 1000 hours in total on it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 08:48:31 am »

For the longest time I thought card game shit was just kinda anathema to me.  Drawing and then strategizing with what you got, what's been discarded, what you've still got in the draw, I never really got it, even when I had, like, yugioh and shit.  I also remember from Arc the Lad 3 or whatever that there was some card mage who could turn enemies into a kind of card to cast, and I thought that was kinda artificial and weird and I didn't like it.  I drew the conclusion from these that card games are just not my jam.

I think I had Slay the Spire on ignore forever until I watched someone play it.  Snagged it, dug it a lot.  Now 'roguelike deckbuilder' and 'card battler' are on my list of stuff that I just habitually search for, like rpgs and 4xs and stuff.  Across the Obelisk has most of my time in the genre I think, co-op's a hell of a drug.

I still suck at the card stuff mind.  Most of those games want you to cut your deck down and make it all efficient and stuff, but I just like seeing what the dice roll the cards pull.  Sometimes I even manage to do cool shit!

In retrospect it might just be gacha nonsense.  Finish fight, get my choice of 3 cards to add to the deck, sometimes it's something rad.  Doesn't beg me for microtransaction money to buy more spins, though, so there's that going for it.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2023, 09:20:35 am »

I still suck at the card stuff mind.  Most of those games want you to cut your deck down and make it all efficient and stuff, but I just like seeing what the dice roll the cards pull.  Sometimes I even manage to do cool shit!

Try taking a peek at Blood Card-- you're encouraged to have a large deck (most of the time) because your deck is your hp!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2023, 05:42:56 pm »

When I first downloaded Dwarf Fortress I was certain I'd hate it. Not because of the UI or ASCII, but being generally skeptical about anything that was described by reviews as a "rogue-like".

Didn't take long until it became my favorite game of all time and a integral part of my life.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 07:47:04 pm »

I didn’t buy it, but I didn’t think I’d enjoy Teamfight Tactics half so much as I am. The mix of the long-term strategy with frantic inputs necessary to do things as efficiently as possible makes the game almost endlessly optimisable to play, I feel, both in terms of the build you go for but also rolling or levelling or slamming items at the right times depending on the situation and with sufficient speed.

All of which does mean I’m terrible at it, but it’s very fun. And it sometimes fulfils the same ‘seeing instructions be executed correctly’ feeling that DF sometimes does, with a swarm of dwarves rushing to do something. And so satisfying to get a first place.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 [2]