Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tormentvirgins: Because dying from bugs twice wasn't enough  (Read 1820 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Tormentvirgins: Because dying from bugs twice wasn't enough
« on: March 30, 2022, 05:42:37 am »

So, as one does, I've been trying to get back into the game after a decent length hiatus. We've all been there, right? Anyways, I've got a brilliant fort planned. Bigger, better, bolder, trying to break the mold all my previous boring glacier hellforts were making. I planned, modded, wrote, and prepared the perfect embark, researched my lore, savescummed embark parties for the perfect ragtag crew, outlined rules and restrictions, and I even did a little art! The perfect storm, all neat and ready for me to hit play. I embarked... and quit. Didn't really feel like all that work. Recording things nicely? Gross. Actual narration? Cool, but ehhh. I just wasn't in the mood.

What does that all mean? That means, quite clearly, one thing: goblin time! It's time for the third fort in the series of throwaway forts. I've got a system at this point here, so I'll just CTRL+C CTRL+V the 'rules' I follow with these forts. They're pretty loose, but you get the point.
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
However, as you'll note in Badwild, I happened to quite easily get a bunch of legendary warriors that easily crushed large dwarven armies even when they couldn't figure out how pants work. That's pretty clearly a violation of rule number one, so something has to change.
Spoiler: Perfect! (click to show/hide)
Well, so maybe 20% is a bit much, that's 5 years of new training to equal 1 year of regular training, which is only getting to ~10 skill level in most things. I should nerf it so I don't lose so many gobli—
Okay then. 10%. This is fine. We'll just crank population way up to compensate for our compensations, since more goblins = more bloodshed, and that's what we all really want out of this, innit? I've got a fancy new laptop I want to test the limits of, so I'll see how well 140 goblins goes and go up from there if I think I can handle it.

After all the boring work making a new install of DF with all races playable mod, the aforementioned combat skill rate mods, a tileset installation, init changes, setting up an imgur dump and dedicated folder for images, DFhack installation, all the work that sucks is done! Oh right, world gen. Hm. Fiiine, I'll make a—no, screw this. I'm taking my fancy world from that perfect fort I'm technically still planning and then throwing an ugly horde of goblins right at my beautiful masterpiece of a world. Doesn't have enough dwarves, so I guess I'll tweak mountains a bit and call it a day. And after slightly more "why aren't the dwarves doing anything" than I'd like, I get this nice little world, "The World of Forever".
It'll do just fine. I appreciate the irony in the name, since this is the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of a DnD one shot.

After a quick comb through, I find a spot that won't immediately suck, and look no further. I want to do a good biome fort, since I keep doing evil biomes all the time in everything and it's getting a mite old.
It's perfectly flat, has a bit of metal, not too many annoying trees, and is near a bunch of dwarves and a few elves. Didn't look for humans settlements, but it says there's humans somewhere in range, so whatever. We'll be angering everybody we can, probably including one of the also nearby goblin civilizations. Also, there is a very small gap in the mountains.
Spoiler: See: red circle (click to show/hide)
So I don't have to trek all over the place for murderin. We'll be members of "The Wickedness of Failing," another name too hilarious to pass up. It's the Western goblin civilization of the three.

I do take the care to actually prepare carefully for the embark, so I can follow my CP rule. I get a bunch of ore for my military:
and some medics + worthless peasants. The medics have adequate skill in all 5 medical skills.

Maybe "prepare carefully" was an overstatement. Whatever! Embark!
Tormentvirgins... huh. Alright. Doubt they'll be too many families in this fort and I seriously hope there's not an absence of torment, so this'll be an easy name to live up to. 'specially if we see the same frustrating bugs as we have the last two times. Well, lets see what we've got!
Nice flat area, very few annoying ponds (though I suppose that also means very little hospital water, but when did inadequate medical supplies ever stop me from running a hospital?), and a general upbeat vibe from the good biome.

And now... lets get the show on the road. I set up initial labors for the CPs, which is everything a goblin will actually bother doing that isn't medical labor or mining/woodcutting.
I begin my setup. Here's the basic floorplan. Might do a bunch of aboveground stuff to kill time, but goblins aren't afraid of the dark. Also I need stones to do stuff.
I also offload all nobility things on the woodcutter medic, since he's not perpetually busy digging.

By the end of spring, we've got a nice fort carved out. The second empty square is carved out, so I make it into a tavern. Everybody's busy, but it'll keep the beak dogs from attracting those abominable unicorns.

Everything's going smoothly, and the fort is progressing quick. And then suddenly—
*sighhh* Yes thank you game, I am aware that goblins send their caravans in the summer. Thank you. Whatever, I didn't need anything from them in bulk anyways. I'll just remember to make a depot next time. I request metal and medical supplies and give orders for a depot to be made for them to sit in while I don't actually bother trading with them.

After the caravan, things are pretty quiet for most of the rest of the season. I set up a military and start prep for training (it's all hands on deck for a bit longer, though, can't let the CPs have a "break" just yet).
Not a full 10 yet, but training will be extremely slow when it starts and I'm not even starting it yet, so not much reason to worry about skill gap yet. I just make a copper whip+wood shield uniform for now, since that's what I've got.

And then, almost exactly halfway through summer, hark! Migrants!
Spoiler: Poor souls (click to show/hide)
I watch them stream onto the map and then have a look at what they all actually are.
Three children, which isn't ideal but doesn't really matter. None of them will be working age any time soon—the oldest is three. Still, I get four able bodies out of it, so it's not the end of the world. It basically doubles my workforce, since three of my starting seven are medics.

The medics with pickaxes are getting low on stuff to do, so I also designate a *real* barracks to be dug and make them dig the main staircase all the way down to the caverns.
I'm lucky and they hit the caverns in a nice spot: the breach is only one z level tall, making it nice and easy to re-seal and continue the staircase uninterrupted with a minor amount of construction. While the stairway is open, one of the medics has a brief encounter with a hungry head, which I didn't actually see in real time since I've been zooming along at 200 FPS to get stuff done.
Only bruises, so missus medic doesn't really need any medical care. I don't even bother making a zone. Most of the people who should be down there are armed, either with picks or the whips I brought along, but in order to minimize incidents I order the CPs to dogpile both the hungry head and a nearby giant olm. It goes as expected.
Spoiler: Whips do that, yeah (click to show/hide)
Shortly after, a troll peacefully wanders up the staircase before scaring the liaison and murdering one of the beak dogs. My CPs get a bit more combat XP.
I opt to quickly finish the walling-off, since that troll could've been actually dangerous to my untrained goblins, and as much as mass-murder is fun, I don't quite want it yet because it will inhibit future mass-murder if it happens now.

Just as mid-autumn hits, the medics hit warm stone, finishing the main staircase.

My second hard-coded wave arrives a little later, bringing an almost identical group to the last one for all the things that matter to me, which is number of usable goblins versus number of useless children.
This wave fills up the last of my first squad, with two extra CPs that I don't bother recruiting, since I don't have any semblance of a metalworking industry online and I only brought ten whips.

Speaking of metalworking, one of our "Deep metals" is native silver.
Spoiler: Also see: troll blood (click to show/hide)
Nice for blunt weapons, though there's still nothing to make armor out of except for imported/initially brought iron. That said, I brought plenty of limonite at the start, as you all saw.

Winter flies by, with a few big progress milestones but nothing of actual interest. I finish clear-cutting the embark and moving all the wood around my staircase,
and smoothing has begun,
and metalworking is getting underway,
and lastly...
Marriage! Between two of the starting seven, who happened to have downtime on account of both being medics. Guess the miners need more work, can't go around getting married couples having children.

And with that, the year draws to a quiet close. Chisels clink, the forges are coming to life, trees have been cut down, and... dangit, that sounds too dwarfy! The goblins are all unskilled, the fort has already been given a nice sprinkling of blood, merchants gave me a bunch of free garbage on account of the series' trademark bugs, goblins are going to start getting upset since I haven't made an atom smasher to destroy those troll corpses, we have no functioning hospital and will need one soon, and nobody is competent at anythi—wait I said that one already. You get the point. Goblins! Not Dwarves™!

All in all, not too shabby for a first year, given that I'm hard-pressed to even embellish things to be going poorly. Didn't make as much progress as I would've liked, but a lot of the heavy lifting is out of the way, like rooms being set up and wood being hauled. Wood will be a serious problem for smithing and I'll definitely have to look to the caverns for extra, which I also need for a good source of water. Next year will probably be another boring one, since I need those things, a hospital, a bit of training (for all the good it will do; it's probably worthless with how much I nerfed it), and to really crank my metalsmithing up, since my unskilled goblins will get massacred with no armor. Come to think of it, I need more bedrooms too, but that'll become a backburner project as I should have enough goblins to do multiple things next year. And... huh. Since I have virtually no ability to get skilled soldiers, I might need to unironically use beak dogs for raids, which I guess would have to be a year 2 project as well. So, a lot on my plate, but not unmanageable.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Tormentvirgins: Because dying from bugs twice wasn't enough
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 06:34:34 pm »

Pretty neat. PTW.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 01:54:22 pm »

Back to where we left off, the start of a new year! With spring comes new possibilities, new projects, and also new inst—
Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
Okay, look, I know, I know, I really should've checked goblin active seasons, or at least made sure my depot rebuilt in a timely manner after I destroyed it to get the buggy guys out of here, but whatever!
Well, lets see what they brought, at least.
Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
That's it. That's all they brought. That's not some little screencap of part of their wares. That's literally everything they brought. Courtesy of no pack animals and the last guys getting technically robbed. I make a few wooden spiked balls and buy it all. Also I have no appraiser, so I have no clue how much any of this stuff is worth.

Anyways, spring brings something more important than the apparently useless caravan: meatshields! migrants!
A whopping 38 of them, too! They quickly get the CP treatment, except for the one legendary diagnoser, who will be giving the CPs treatment. The wave also brings a lot of children, but many of them are close to adulthood, with about half being over 10.

Since I'm now over 50 population, the goblins elect an overseer, which is presumably the goblin equivalent of mayor.
Spoiler: Hey, that's *my* job! (click to show/hide)
In obtaining the prestigious position, our dear Stozu demands his customary nobles' quarters.
I don't particularly care. His life doesn't mean anything to me, and right now the miners have better things to do than dig out a dining room for somebody who doesn't need to eat. I can do the office, though, since I've already got a few extra useless rooms that I never decided what to do with, and one of them is already the broker/bookkeeper/chief medical goblin/manager's office, so why not offices?

In other news, summer arrives, and brings yet another caravan. I could get used to this. This one, unlike the last two, isn't utterly pathetic, and brings me some much needed iron and copper. I also notice yet another usage of the discount dwarven dialogue bundle.
It must be a running joke among goblin outposts. Or maybe they're mocking me for making a pretty dwarfy looking outpost.

Shortly after that, we get some more migrants, bringing the population up to 71. Usual boring stuff continues. Two guilds try to establish themselves, both stoneworking related because a lot of goblins have become engravers due to smoothing everything.
I deny them, though I start working on some spots for guildhalls anyways.

Additionally, the next floor is dug and smoothed.
The hospital is on the bottom left, to be filled with beds and coffers, and eventually to be given some water somehow. Top left has another workshop space and a bunch more bedrooms, as well as some empty rooms that will probably become guildhalls.

Things continue to be boring and quiet. More migrants again bolster the ranks to 80, with 52 usable CPs. Three squads are equipped with full iron (minus the breastplates, which I make from copper), and finally, we have the beginnings of a military. Nobody is good at anything, but 30 goblins with armor can handle quite a bit just by virtue of dogpiling the target.
One squad has whips, one has scimitars, and one has morningstars. Nobody has any skill, but sparring has just begun, so some novices should start popping up in the whip squad soon, which has a season or so on the morningstars.

Winter also flies by in an instant, courtesy of my fancy new powerful computer, which has kept me at 200 FPS thus far. One week in winter sees the first births—five of them in a row.
Some of the migrant children have been growing into adults as well, and have been turned into CPs.

And that's a wrap for the year. Could've done more like delving into the caverns and setting up beak dog training, but eh. Got the hospital up and running (barring water; I'll explore the caverns next year and if there's no water there I'll clean some ponds and bucket that over). Took longer than expected because I wasn't playing much—this fort is hardly top priority, and has yet to really pick up steam. It might stay boring for another few years, honestly, though you all get the gist of what's going on so I can start skipping these kinds of boring domestic things and focus on projects and bloodshed. Oh right, and in other news I also ran out of wood. Or, well, I have like 10 logs left and cancelled charcoal production manually. There's enough to last for a few more squads, but cavern wood will be needed if I want to arm my max population.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:20:37 am »

Did you think this fort would be abandoned, like the others that I actually cared about? Haha. Not right now (no promises for later). Update time!

First order of business! Wood! Which is incredibly boring. That encompasses the first three seasons, and goes on in the background for another two. Nothing else of interest really happens during that time. I make a spear squad. In these seasons the population goes the rest of the way to 140 as well, mostly from a single migration wave.

Finally, after a long boring wait that you didn't have to endure or experience in any meaningful way (other than the three month hiatus), something interesting happens. Elves!
Spoiler: Finally! (click to show/hide)
The fight is fairly boring, and by the time my soldiers get there the thirty or so are mostly routed by the beak dogs and one of my squads who was nearby. Nonetheless, like half of the participants are sent to the hospital for minor injuries.
Spoiler: Wimps. (click to show/hide)
I rest my case on making such a large hospital.

After the siege, things continue to go swiftly and blandly. I do a lot of trading for metal and continue hauling wood up from the caverns. Just as all my three massive stockpiles are filled, the wood dries up and I witness the result of my goblins' toil.
Spoiler: Colors! (click to show/hide)
Pretty, but not much to see.
Spoiler: Messy! (click to show/hide)
And I also added a second forge area, which was probably unnecessary given my low influx of metal. Eh.

In other notable news, I've harvested the power of rain to produce drinkable water! I've got a big thing set up to pump rainwater into a cistern, moving and purifying it in one move. Since, if you didn't read the other posts, I have no other renewable source of drinking water.
Spoiler: Dwarfy! (click to show/hide)

And then, finally, more violence. The elves show up again, in force this time, and more importantly, with war beasts.
Spoiler: Elves! (click to show/hide)
I'm actually scared of elves. Will this be the end of the fort? My military is deep in the caverns overseeing some trivial water hauling, the beak dogs are scattered and injured from last time, and there are a *lot* of giant cougars and alligators. This siege is 130ish in number, and I still only have 40 practically untrained soldiers. Some of them have achieved the great feat of novice weapon skill.

Nnnnooppe! The animals the elves brought, are, of course, not war trained. Half of them spend the entire battle fleeing back and forth, fighting off their terror versus their loyalty to their rapidly dying elven masters. Eventually, their terror wins, and the animals are bravely freed from their oppressive elven masters via extreme violence.
Spoiler: Rekt! (click to show/hide)
The battle is hard-fought, and thanks to my own poorly-given charge order and general unpreparedness, ten goblins die in the fight, one of which succumbed to infection months after the fight. I quickly get to work making soap to remedy the issue.

The fight also creates even more wounded than last time, giving my doctors plenty of work, and me yet another reason to be thankful for this ridiculous size hospital. I fear that it will eventually be fully occupied when my military is full-size and the sieges are of foes other than elves. Plenty of the dead should have also merely been wounded, had their goblins-in-arms been there to back them up.
Spoiler: Blood! (click to show/hide)

Speaking of hospitals, my attempt to fill the hospital well I kind of half made ends up emptying the cavern lake.
Spoiler: RIP (click to show/hide)

For the dead, they get an elaborate dwarven-style crypt-labyrinth to rest in. I make it a decent bit bigger than I need.

After this second siege, I get back into serious military development. All that trading is put to good use, and I'm able to make real sets of mostly iron armor for a fifth squad, which I give flails. Arrows and bolts are being bought in bulk from the traders so I don't have to spend anything but a few silver discs for a lot of ammo, and the beginnings of two ranged squads are set up as well.

And then, everything happens at once. First, I see a combat report.
Spoiler: *notices dragon* uwu? (click to show/hide)
A cave dragon! I can totally capture that, probably. I ignore the goblins in my head telling me to avoid mechanisms because cave dragons are decidedly a goblin war beast, and I need them. Just gotta get mechanisms and I'm set, because I keep buying beak dogs to avoid the regular 50-cap on each species of animal.

Before I even have time to process the cave dragon, though, I get ripped from my machinations.
Spoiler: Dun dun dunnnn (click to show/hide)
Humans!
I gear my fresh meat up for the meat grinder. Will this by Tormentvirgins' first real fight, its end, or a total pushover like last time we tried to have a cliffhanger?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 08:40:44 am by NordicNooob »