Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Counsel of Wizards  (Read 5181 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Counsel of Wizards
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2024, 12:48:21 pm »

Gort  knew what had to be done. Blind servitude to uncaring gods, real or not, deserved punishment. Mindless devotion needed redirection, and enemies of the state he now served required retribution.

A few weeks after his successful raid, which brought Gort some fame, he stood in the central square of Aneberis's capital city. His best twelve orcish warriors flanked him, basking in the glory of their recent victory. Joining them on the square were captured priests and devoted servants of the god of the enemy, as well as assorted criminals, heretics, and followers of various minor cults and religions deemed disloyal to Anaberis.

Gort, son of Daker stood in the front of a crowd, ready to deliver a short but grim speach

"Citizens of Anaberis," Gort roared, his voice echoing off the stone buildings lining the square. "I, Gort, Son of Daker, once wandered the lands in search of a home. I found one here, in this proud republic. This city-state has given me more than just four walls and a roof over my head—it has bestowed upon me the honor of commanding a force to defend its people!"

Gort's eyes narrowed as he continued. "But not everyone respects the glory of our home! Anaberis has enemies both internal and external, and I am here to show you what will befall those who betray us!"

Then, under the watchful gaze of the patrician crowd, Gort's orcish warriors mercilessly slaughtered the devorws captured priests and devoted priests. The cries of agony and gushing blood filled the air as one by one as they met their gruesome end. Next, Gort's warriors turned to the criminals, heretics, and followers of minor cults deemed disloyal to Anaberis - their screams mingling with those of the first victims.

The square was soon awash in blood, and Gort's heart swelled with pride at his newfound power. He knew that this display would send a clear message to anyone who dared defy Anaberis: betrayal would be met with ruthless retribution. But there was other, more meaningful hidden side of what was happening.

Then, as if to finish the macabre show, an altar of Reese was brought to the center of the square and smashed to pieces with sledgehammers

Gort, a wizard who kept hiding his power, was performing the ritual, the slaughter wasn't meaningless, those were... reagents to his ritual.

Perform the ritual (details in the spoiler), spend priests of Reese and 1 Trust for the organization of this "event." and permission to use criminals in it.

Outside of the ritual, stay at the Republic, perform the duties of one of its generals, hide magical powers

Spoiler: the ritual (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:52:49 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2024, 03:33:27 pm »

Action: through ritual create a perfect leader figure
Perfect leaders are are made of Decisiveness, Trustworthiness, Empowerment of others, Clear communication, and Resilience.
For a target use a single fish-man child, preferably one of high birth, but a peasant will do. Collect the scales and add them to the model.
For decisiveness use a pair of dice, added in their entirety.
For trustworthiness use a puppy, by way of their fur.
For empowerment use a single battery.
For clear communication a transcript of a powerful speech.
For resilience diamond dust.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2024, 05:13:52 pm »

Hmm, the dwarves don't seem to be searching for me, or is it just a trick, they probably could have known I can se through stones and they arrange a regular mining operation as a disguise to look for something else, maybe if I show them it is too troublesome to look for me they will leave.

In the assembly of the giants:
"Oh listen to me great beings of stone, there are many options set before us to push away this dwarven scourge. We can fight them directly, and with your strength and my knowledge we will defeat them, but it will not be without sacrifice, especially if an army from the nation that sent those miners will come after they disappeared.
I think scaring them away will be our easiest method, but although you all are large and imposing I don't think you can scare them by mere aggression, you were probably known to them when they came. I have a plan, for the first step I will need some gold and gems"
Main part is making a spell to see motive of people I observe using various gems and glass optical instruments I can make, not a complete my reading or complex understanding of them but just seeing the big reason for their action: Greed, fear, lust for power, regular lust and so on.

Spoiler: Wizard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Old Mountain (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:41:44 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2024, 10:45:17 pm »

Rita Lin
Spoiler: Wizard: (click to show/hide)

Knowing that the herds would take time to recover and that food would likely still be short, Rita Lin uses foldspace portals to send diplomatic teams to make trade agreements and alliances with the other nations of panem. Successful teams will be sent stones from Gruggunium to build an arch, and instructed to gather stones to be brought back.
(I'm willing to spend the trust I just earned if necessary. I'm also setting up for a ritual to build permanent portals for trade.) 

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2024, 06:11:43 pm »

The courier with the letter found Invokana sitting on a chair.

This is not how the courier would have described the occasion, of course, as the courier, like many people, has an incomplete perspective of what qualifies a chair, or what qualifies sitting.

In particular, Invokana had discovered a particularly comfortable inverted rest position in midair above the ferrocrystalline structure she'd used to create a localized gravity-manipulating effect. Admittedly, it was proving difficult to stop sitting in the chair in question, and she'd actually found this position while trying to reach it to deactivate it, but as that had failed for the moment, she was spending her time getting work done trying to figure out how to improve it.

But yes, the courier. They arrived, and they were very concerned, as Invokana has found people often seem to be for some reason around magic, and they threw a letter at toward her before running off.

Skittish folks, couriers. Perhaps for the best; it must assist them avoiding being waylaid on the roads, yes? Yes, it was most likely natural selection of some variety.

The letter, though, the letter.
Yes, yes, shut up. The letter, the letter, you want to know about the letter. The letter will be told about as soon as she finishes opening, you impatient ass.

The copper of her cloak twists together, metal braids corded and struck, until a small blade lashed out across the top of the envelope, freeing its contents to be retrieved.

One awkward shuffle of paper later, as a letter just barely thinner than the envelope in came in was aggravatingly shimmied out of its container, she finally managed to get the communique into a readable state.
Once she did, she released an aggravated groan.

Really? Really? More loggers? There is an entire Creeping Wood to the south! Is not the Blue Sea bound by treaty most ancient to assist the Forest Guard besides?

...she has an idea.

"Greetings, greetings, we come to parlay! Parlay, surely, should not be refused, yes?"

The Kingdom of the Blue Sea is vaguely pleasant, she supposes, in a somewhat generic manner. The beaches are maintained, the settlements are sprawling, the trees are... smooth.
(Trees should not be smooth, but she supposed that a place as generic and sanded-down as this would have such offensively-flat trees. 'Palms', they called them. Gods knew why.)

"Yes, yes, I am certain we can come to agreements most agreeable, indeed, indeed. Why, would it not be most fine to solve one, ah, misalignment of interests with another? The Guard do tell us that they would quite love the assistance of experienced breakers-of-wood like yonselves, and should you find yourselves uncertain, I am certain that it would be of no issue to, ah, subsidize such expeditions south rather than east. What else might be the noble metals for?"

And so the nobles of the Blue Sea were, if not swayed, perhaps at least turned in their tide.
After all, wasn't it easier to get something that other people wanted to help you get?

Spoiler: Invokana (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Riverwood (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 10:38:41 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2024, 07:16:48 pm »

Teleniar carries on his investigations into the seals to figure out how one interacts with them, what might be required, etc.

What? No, he doesn't ask questions about the hazards. What do you take him for, a coward?

Spoiler: Wizard (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nation (click to show/hide)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]