Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 7 (maybe more) wonders of the world  (Read 4040 times)

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
Re: 7 (maybe more) wonders of the world
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »

... I don't know if I'll make it of a toad considering it's a little difficult to visualize a 3-D version of it in 2-D.
Buy a box of Sugar Cubes and build one. Each horizontal section corresponds to a 2-D DF construction level.

Thanks for the thought (it'll help with any megaprojects I do as well; my next fort is going to be built as a huge 3D skull if I can get that done within 15 levels). Although I'm going to use Lego bricks because I have about a million of them.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:48 pm »

If you put a stiff paper card in between each level of sugar-cubes, your model will not only be easier to construct (more stable), it will also be easy to seperate it into layers again, for transferring to your DF game.

Our Mega-Projects are built with SCIENCE!
Never pet a burning dog.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 11:26:10 pm »

I'm 2/3 of the way done with the Church of Iden, but I don't know what it looks like because the 3D system still isn't working, I have the save transfered to 40d16 but it's still not working, oh well, I can worry about that later. I think it might look a bit like crap though because I suck. It'll at least be really big. I will post pictures as soon as I have them.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 11:40:12 pm »

fun fact: The pyramids of Eygpt orginaly had polished limestone blocks on their surface so they burned out people's retinas when they looked at them in the distance. The people dismanted the facade to use the limestone for constructing mosques so thats why the you have these staggered sandstone wrecks you see today.

Anyways, the temple of Iden MUST be a lighthouse. It doesn't matter if the sky isn't tall enough, or if it would be too fat around, a deity devoted to the sea should have a temple that is a lighthouse.

Make the lighthouse partially underwater if its not epic enough. A Jesuschurch doesn't make sense.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 12:23:55 am »

I planned out what I am going to do. As soon as I am finished with the main building (I have about 4 floors left to go) I will build a seperate lighthouse farther down the beach. It would just be the main tower as the lighthouse but because I've never built anything extremely tall before it became retarded looking. I might need to do some fixing of it if it looks as stupid as I htink it willl in 3D. Not until I get some more migrants though, I have 8 usable dwarfs right now. I have 10 total but one is seriously injured and the other is the only dwarf that has been in the military for more than a single battle. He is tasked with the protection of the builders. I also haven't gotten any migrants for 3 years because of all the deaths I had and there have been very few caravans that have actually made it back to their own cities. Luckily the last migrant wave I got had a married couple with kids and a pregnant dwarf. At this rate they are the future of the fort.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 12:41:24 am »

This will be awesome when you finish it. I have another few suggestions.

Build a maze of pressure plates that "randomly" open and close doors. You could substitute this for the Labyrinth. Face it, you need some diabolical sort of maze. 8)

Make a dungeon that uses an automated system to fill up and then drain the bottom z-levels. Adventurers have to enter at "low tide" and get through before "high tide." You could even have part of it permanently underwater so that adventurers would need to have some good swimming skill.

Another thing, these sites will show up on the travel map, no? I suggest that you make a lot (maybe a hundred or more) "dummy" sites that aren't anything special, so that it won't be easy to find the sites. Especially if you think some people will reclaim to cheat and see past sites.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 08:05:01 am »

a HUGE underground labyrinth!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Angellus

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 08:10:01 am »

Good luck!

Sounds wicked :D

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 10:41:23 am »

I must Back the colliseum, make sure you capture some megabeasts for brawling.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2009, 11:19:27 am »

Alrighty, I finally got Visual Dwarf running and the tower looks pretty sweet. However, it looks somewhat stupid because at some points I had a lack of obsidian and a huge amount of alunite, and at other times, I had a lack of alunite and huge amounts of obsidian, so some of the walls are mismatched in color. I'm going to go back through and tear down the rebuild the patchwork places so it looks like it has some sort of pattern. I'll get to that after I finish the main building. Meanwhile, I will be planning how/where I will make the lighthouse.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »

add also the "Lost city of Dwarflantis"

its one of the mega projects im currently working on and thinking up some idea's how to make it COMPLETLY OUT OF GLASS (Green glass , maybe that other one). Im currently making my fortress now and a migrant killing machine for some late game purposes

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2009, 05:10:01 pm »

Ooh ooh, I got another idea!

Embark in the middle of the desert. Then make a giant sculpture of a beer bottle and fill it with magma.

Armok dropped his booze.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 11:52:17 pm »

add also the "Lost city of Dwarflantis"

its one of the mega projects im currently working on and thinking up some idea's how to make it COMPLETLY OUT OF GLASS (Green glass , maybe that other one). Im currently making my fortress now and a migrant killing machine for some late game purposes

I'll add that to my list, wont get to it for a while though considering I'm still working on the church of Iden.
Pages: 1 2 [3]