Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evolving of megabeasts? "Highlander-movie"-lik  (Read 832 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Evolving of megabeasts? "Highlander-movie"-lik
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

In the next release we'll have monsters collecting their kills in lists.

It's a pity to see a mighty dragon dead through worldgen just because he was killed by a 8th peasant and his lifespan is determined as "while he kills 7 adventurers".
I suggest to have a chance system with the chance of the MB being killed decreasing with its kills, like it gains experience. And maybe some new creature types for it to evolve in.

Like, let's say, we have a dragon which kills 8-10 adventurers. Then it transforms to a hier tier dragon with better characteristics, like "elder dragon", or "dread dragon", or it'll gain a "blue-", "red-" or another color type.

The idea is to have a few god-like megabeasts, but not due to random generation, but due to their kill lists.

It would be neat to kill the Deisakgmeron, the dread elder shadow hydra with the knowledge that it killed a hundred of adventurers before you.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving of megabeasts? "Highlander-movie"-lik
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

I think once Toady handles skills growth in worldgen, dragons and such will get pretty scary with time. They will gain skills with every encounter they survive, and thus become harder to kill for the next adventurer.

To add to the topic, I think names could be generated according to the amount of kills of the creature. Like some veterancy system in RTSes. 5 kills - short name (name Stuffstuff). 10 kills - longer name (name Stuffstuff the stuff). 25 kills - even longer name (name Stuffstuff the stuff of stuff). 50 kills - almost longest name (name Stuffstuff the stuffy stuff-stuff). 100 kills - longest name (name Stuffstuff the stuffy stuff-stuff of stuff). Re-generated each time, of course. Maybe take the kills into account (like if the monster kills mostly elves, he would be Elfbane, and so forth).

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

You spoke of titles already, like lifebane... But I'd accept even the name-longiture thing. It's still a nice desicion.

Also I understand the Toady will have different system, but what I'm talking about is some boost for megabeasts due to an adventurer kill, and usual skill growth isn't enough, because it usually kills an adventurer in a few hits not gaining a lot of skills.
It's possible that a skill gain with a time will be enough.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Honestly, I dislike the idea of 'tiers', especially for dragons and stuff.   A dragon is terrifying no matter what.   Adding tiers and color schemes just breaks it down into D&D metagaming.  "oh this guy is blue, I can take it out so long as I drink an ice potion" or whatever.

If it's just 'a dragon', with semi-randomized characteristics or whatever, it's got mystique and such at its disposal.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>5 kills - short name (name Stuffstuff). 10 kills - longer name (name Stuffstuff the stuff). 25 kills - even longer name (name Stuffstuff the stuff of stuff). 50 kills - almost longest name (name Stuffstuff the stuffy stuff-stuff). 100 kills - longest name (name Stuffstuff the stuffy stuff-stuff of stuff). Re-generated each time, of course. Maybe take the kills into account (like if the monster kills mostly elves, he would be Elfbane, and so forth).</STRONG>

Mmm....Morkeleb the Black: scariest dragon ever.  Also the oldest (at least for the world he lived in). :P

I endorse this naming idea, though more and more names has always annoyed me.  I think each race would pick "a fitting name" based on their race, humans would probably have something shorter.  The Dread, of Burnination, the Old, etc.  Whereas dwarves would tack on more and more titles, they seem to love long names.  The Old and Dread [name] of Burnination.  Elves I could see as somewhere in between, and probably use more compound names, The Great-Wrym [name], [name] of BurntForest, etc.

So for humans there'd be scales of importance, "scary" "evil" "murderous" "dread" "really f*ing scary," and as the dragon did more and more acts, humans would name it for the most destructive one (or a series, such as killing 12 swordsmen in a row he might be [name] the Sword Breaker--12 typed kills -> "murderous" vs. burning a town to the ground: "murderous," single act [name] the City Torcher).

</ramble>

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

I thought monsters already got harder after they got a name.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

They do, because of skill-ups.  Even deer can become deadly monsters of death dealing if they happen to kill a historical figure (by accident or not).  There was a story someone posted about one such deer... ended up so powerful, his legendary adventurers couldn't touch it, even ranged.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

I also dislike the idea of tiers, but XP for dragons is a good thing.

But it could be really buggy.  Imagine a dragon that sets fire to a half-dozen dwarves and leaves.  He might get experience for the six he killed.  He might not, since the fire killed them.  Or he might also get experience for EVERY SINGLE THING they touch.  The last thing I want is a dragon who levels up a dozen times DURING THE BATTLE just because his fire spreads.

I think the first release with this system in place will probably be really... interesting.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 03:09:00 am »

Lyphoras the human drunk has been struck down!
Targasos, the dread black dragon seems stronger
Zeratul the protoss dark templar has been struck down!
Targasos, the dread black dragon seems stronger

its a really cool idea  :D! But if released, the first version will hopefully have alot of tasty bugs

een failing lately?

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>I also dislike the idea of tiers, but XP for dragons is a good thing.

But it could be really buggy.  Imagine a dragon that sets fire to a half-dozen dwarves and leaves.  He might get experience for the six he killed.  He might not, since the fire killed them.  Or he might also get experience for EVERY SINGLE THING they touch.  The last thing I want is a dragon who levels up a dozen times DURING THE BATTLE just because his fire spreads.

I think the first release with this system in place will probably be really... interesting.</STRONG>

Dwarf fortress XP doesn't work like that. He'd get XP for successfully hitting the adventurers with fire, then if he just sat around and watched them burn to death he'd get nothign but kill credit.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrax:
<STRONG>The last thing I want is a dragon who levels up a dozen times DURING THE BATTLE just because his fire spreads.</STRONG>
Well, he did start the fire, shouldn't he be credited for it?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.