Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Babies...  (Read 3466 times)

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
Dwarf Babies...
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:22 am »

So I have a fort of about thirty dwarves with a population cap on, because I wanted to see what it would be like to raise a whole generation from infancy. The problem I've run into now is that only two female dwarves are bearing any children. Don't get me wrong, my hat's off to the poor girls, they've each had over ten children, but it's been years now and no one else is having any kids. The idea of a fort with only two clans mixing blood is interesting, but not what I really had in mind. Is this usual behavior? How can I get the other dwarfs to knock some boots?  :D
CrundleHorn

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Babies...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:49:23 am »

Are you having any trouble getting them married off? Unwed dwarfettes will not breed.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:11 am »

I've also had issues with this, but I'm certain it's a result of my keeping dwarves working at all times. No idling in the meeting hall means no friends, which means minimal chance of a tantrum spiral, but it also means rather limited reproducing.

I may have to introduce a mating burrow so that I can limit friendships while promoting the creation of children for the turkey filled horror chambers...
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:28:12 am »

I seem to have a lot of lovers running around, but I guess my dwarves have commitment issues. Any quick way to get them hitched? Maybe a crossbow wedding or something? The whole "lovers" thing threw me off, I assumed they were already doing the nasty.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:34:57 am by CrundleHorn »
CrundleHorn

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:45:36 am »

I seem to have a lot of lovers running around, but I guess my dwarves have commitment issues. Any quick way to get them hitched? Maybe a crossbow wedding or something? The whole "lovers" thing threw me off, I assumed they were already doing the nasty.
"Lovers", it seems, involves things like holding hands and reading Dwarven poetry. Dwarves are rather old school when it comes to pre-marital reproduction efforts.

..Wait, you want them to push out babies? What's wrong with migrants?  ???
IMHO babies and children are just an unnecessary strain on a fort, unless you're going for the "thirteen-year-old thoroughly traumatized supersoldiers" approach. Also, babies and kids getting 'napped or killed in some !!Fun!! way is a good way to start a tantrum spiral...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:54:05 am »

Why babies? I've never had enough generations of a single family to have any grandparents or anything. So I just kinda wanted to see how long I could keep em going. I do love epic amounts of migrants, but they only slow down my PC so I wanted to try and limit them this time. Eventually the babies will do the same I'm sure, but not for many years I hope. Also, the "lovers" tag should read "sweethearts", unless I've been way off about the meaning of "lovers" my whole life.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:55:49 am by CrundleHorn »
CrundleHorn

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:58:15 am »

I'd suggest modding dwarven babies to mature much faster than the default, otherwise those little brats will end up in the magma pipe.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:02:25 am »

restrict all "lovers" to a 1x2 burrow with their partners and surround them with happy things like prepared meals and statues of dead elves.  eventually one of them will convert gods over to the other ones dieties and they'll get hitched. This can also work for arranged marrages assuming they haven't already started going out with someone.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:06:58 am »

Haha, they need to convert each other first?  ::) I had no idea...
CrundleHorn

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:47:27 am »

If you don't have a dedicated meeting area and your wagon is still up, your dwarves will congregate in a giant pile of midgets and socialize like crazy. I've spent the first six years of my current fort trying to get a pump stack working, completely neglecting pretty much all non-essentials, and as a result I've basically been getting ten marriages a season. I've even had three sets of triplets (all from the same mother, rather terrifyingly), when before this fort I'd never seen a dwarf give birth to more than one child at a time.
くコ:彡

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 07:29:36 am »

I've even had three sets of triplets (all from the same mother, rather terrifyingly)

Peculiar...

You know. In real life you need a certain set of genes to get twins or triplets. Not everyone has that gene... my girlfriend, for instance, has not had twins born anywhere in her family tree (and she has researched it a lot) while my grandfather had a twin brother.
 She is pretty thrilled about that because she thinks twins are the cutest thing ever. I tend to agree... but there will be many years before we get children at all.

Anyway I wonder if it was intentional? oh Toady ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »

Anyway I wonder if it was intentional? oh Toady ...

DF has some pretty bonkers genetics.