Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire Detection Pool  (Read 2466 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire Detection Pool
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »

While I know the name trick and history check for detecting vampires, I want to try a less player knowledge-driven method.  Since it's been established by others that vampires don't drown, I'm going to make a meeting zone/screw pump pool that all migrants have to pass through.  However, does this need to be pumped to 7/7 for a short period of time, or can lesser depths still cause panic in mortal dwarves?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Vampire Detection Pool
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »

7/7 with an open space above. Or just with ramps. Or some way to drain the water.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »

Ah! A large 7/7 pool with ramps, but with a retracting drawbridge floor above it.  Migrants gather up above it, then the lever is pulled, dropping them all into it.  All the mortals swim like mad to the ramps, while any vampires will just stand there in the water like nothing is amiss, right?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:26:16 pm »

I would expect vampire will try to leave too. But he will be only one without large DROWNING sign.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »

Even if your dwarves are modded to be aquatic, they'll stay out of water deep enough to breathe if they can. Their only hope is that you drop them in some pool without an exit.

The vampire likely won't be marked as DROWNING, though. That'll help.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:07 pm »

A hospital flooding incident of mine says no drowning tag on vamps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »

-snip-

Not if it's 7/7 all the way :P

Or if there's no open space above the 7/7

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:25:02 pm »

Oh... I just read that vampires can't be stunned.  So perhaps we don't even need water.  If mortal dwarves fall into a dry pit, they'll be stunned, right?  Is there a minimum height to guarantee the stun effect?  A side benefit of this would be minor injuries that help keep hospital staff trained up.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:34:41 pm »

Any height fall will cause stun for normal dwarves, unless (I think) they land on another dwarf.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 05:35:33 pm »

Drop them 1 floor.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »

Can you designate a bridge as a meeting room?

If so, make an entrance to the fort a retractable bridge that drops 1 z level down. The Immigration and Customs entrance, if you would. When they all gather there and stop blinking, pull the lever and see who passes the immigration test.

You could also fill it with water, just make easily accessible ramps to dry land. Actually I think that might cause them to be stunned long enough to drown. Better to just make it a dry landing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:02:14 pm by Montague »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »

Make a meeting hall zone over it, should work.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)