Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire lawgiver arrives.  (Read 4634 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Vampire lawgiver arrives.
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:40 am »

So I know diplomats are usually not only humans but also demons and creatures that have risen to great power over the years but having an open vampire as a diplomat is just dumb. Arent vampires killed once known in dwarf fortress?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire lawgiver arrives.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:35:49 am »

Guess you're about to find out!!

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:39:54 am »

Well...what are you waiting for?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:43:45 am »

He's a leader of human civ, why would your dwarves kill him? Btw he'll still happily have some of your dwarves for his snack, I had this happen to me.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:19:00 am »

Yeah, I got a vampire law giver too. A real nice, civil fella.
Obviously, the humans don't know he's one; it's not like they sparkle or anything.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:53 am »

the humans don't know he's one

"Hi I am a vampire. hehe, yeah, they dont know. Dont worry I wont kill anyone here just keep it a secret. Oh being a vampire is real good, able to live for a long time and as long as there are no adventurers around you can basically do what you want. A cousin of mine has told me he has killed thousands, elves included of course. Hes probably bragging though."
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:11 am »

had this happen with no incident.  I made a note to look him up in legends mode.  He only visited once, despite being visited by numerous human law givers.  I'm not sure if he was deposed, or if I was just visited by different human civs.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:04 am »

In legends, it looks like Vampires with actual LAW_MAKING responsibilities tend to lay oppressive edicts upon people once they are suspected.

"Hey, aren't you..."

"CURFEW! Get back to your houses"
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:23 pm »

i had one a while ago kill one of my dorfs and blame someone else. he was the only witness. i convicted him, but my justice dorf refuses to issue sentence to anyone (YAY! no need to worry about mandates. . . ) i decided to take matters into my own hands and had my military target and kill him (no issue there since he was not a member of my civ). the humans sent one siege, who all ended up naked in my arena for recruit training, and then sent a *normal* diplomat to negotiate a truce. i set up a temporary office for my baron on the observation deck of the arena and let him watch the training. . . no problems since!
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »

had this happen with no incident.  I made a note to look him up in legends mode.  He only visited once, despite being visited by numerous human law givers.  I'm not sure if he was deposed, or if I was just visited by different human civs.
It's because of the bug where historical figures vanish from existence the moment they leave your map. As such he simply ceased to exist when he walked off the edge of your map, resulting in his inability to visit a second time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:30 pm »

It's because of the bug where historical figures vanish from existence the moment they leave your map. As such he simply ceased to exist when he walked off the edge of your map, resulting in his inability to visit a second time.

So the enemies made during fortress life (I think they are guys who ran away) can't be met and dealt with while adventuring later? Pity. I really wanted to whack one nasty goblin macelord.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:18:18 pm »

So I know diplomats are usually not only humans but also demons and creatures that have risen to great power over the years but having an open vampire as a diplomat is just dumb. Arent vampires killed once known in dwarf fortress?
Nope. They might or might not be driven out. In adventure mode, you'll often see people say that they know that someone in power is a vampire, but they're afraid to do anything about it. It's not like they are all subtle; I've seen more than one animalperson vampire in power.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.