Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On sword arms and multiple attacks per weapon.  (Read 1613 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On sword arms and multiple attacks per weapon.
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »

I was wondering if it was possible to give a weapon multiple attacks per turn such as a chain saw would do.
The serrated discs can aleady do this but I wasn't sure how it works on weapons.

On the sword arm: I wanted to make a full sword arm for a mutant ogre, cosmetic and fuctional.
If anyone has some body detail raws of sword arms already fixed up then that would help lots.
I think I can get the basic attack working but I want to fully replace one forearm and hand with a sword for my ogre, like if the dorfs did genetics on ogres.
So help with this would be nice.

EDIT:To avoid necroing I will thank you in the original post, edits don't bumb do they?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:29:06 pm by zubb2 »
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: On sword arms and multiple attacks per weapon.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »

No.

The sword arm is possible. Just make two new body parts: the one arm without the sword and the arm with. Give the arm with a metal material--see the bronze colossus, but replace ALL:ALL with WEAPON:ALL or whatever.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:58 pm »

I have been doing some more work on this and also some lolly gagging and eating hamburgers, this is what I have so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Way back up at the top spoiler I have replaced my earlier attempts to get the working sword arm to have material.
By working I mean it is recognized by DF but it gets the attack passes through message in arena.
I had this problem before but can't remember how to fix it.

I am asking for help making the arm be recognized as bronze, just to be clear.

As for making the sword arm an edged weapon I think that is done in the attack definition and I think I can get that to work if I could get the arm to be bronze.
So I don't need help with that right now.

Enough rambling, any help would be great.

One page back isn't necro.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:36:30 pm »

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE]

I had forgoten this tag to the bronze collosus version of the bronze material.

New problem.
I had two mutant ogres fight each other and the sword arm sails off in an arc in one hit.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:42:43 am »

see bronze or metals for that matter have a easy impact fracture. Which when a cut attack fails to sever/shear the material it changes to blunt which breaks/fractures the tissue. Add in a more elastic or squishy tissue material under the metal

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:SWORD:BONE] - this can break/sever but it can take a bit more of a beating
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:SWORD:BRONZE]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 12:53:00 am »

[SELECT_BODY:...]

what is this

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:58 am »

[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE]

I had forgoten this tag to the bronze collosus version of the bronze material.

New problem.
I had two mutant ogres fight each other and the sword arm sails off in an arc in one hit.
The tissue needs the [CONNECTS] tag. Bodyparts that have none of these allways get severed in one hit. Adding bone underneath it like someone suggested should also work.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:20:10 am »

I got this to work.
The sword arm was dented in the arena instead of flying off.
I placed the bone as layer under, not 100 percent sure this is the right tag.
I just need to add the attack and this should be working.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

Aright this is the entire thing and I beleive it is done.

I tested in arena and it behaves like you might expect an ogre with a sword arm would behave.

I haven't tested in fort mode yet, but I think I have all those tags right.

Copie it if you want, tack zubb in the raws somewhere if you do please.

Thanks for the help anybody.