Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops can have a wheelbarrow  (Read 3203 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshops can have a wheelbarrow
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:58 am »

Simple idea: Workshops can have one wheelbarrow assigned to them. When not in use it will be left inside the workshop or in an adjacent space. When workshop dwarf is going to get a heavy material he will take the wheelbarrow with him to get it.
()==[:::::::::::::>

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops can have a wheelbarrow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:27 am »

I really like this idea  :)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:34 am »

I went a step further and said workshops should actually *be* a stockpile, with all the usual settings and the ability to give and take, etc.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »

This would solve the biggest issue I have with masons shops, eg they are very slow unless you stockpile stone right next to them.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

shadus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »

This is already accomplishable using stockpiles around a shop (make shop areas 5x5 vs 3x3) and using burrows... that said, this would simplify things massively.  I really like the idea.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:27 am »

It doesn't make any sense to stockpile stone around a mason shop.  Those things you build on the spot with the stone.  Then you designate the area all around them as a custom stockpile, g)ive to the shop, and have it run nonstop until it runs out, at which point you de-designate the stockpile and deconstruct the shop.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:59 am »

It doesn't make any sense to stockpile stone around a mason shop.  Those things you build on the spot with the stone.  Then you designate the area all around them as a custom stockpile, g)ive to the shop, and have it run nonstop until it runs out, at which point you de-designate the stockpile and deconstruct the shop.
That's not really an option if you make use of profiles and burrows (which, I might add, can be very handy given the inseparable nature of construction jobs.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »

This would solve the biggest issue I have with masons shops, eg they are very slow unless you stockpile stone right next to them.
If you don't get the settings right they're very slow anyway; for example, forgetting to make the workshop only take from a stockpile leaves your masons free to decide that boulder 2 tiles away is farther away than a boulder 1 tile but 47 z-levels away.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:00:58 pm »

I went a step further and said workshops should actually *be* a stockpile, with all the usual settings and the ability to give and take, etc.
And have a reserve of material. And make workshops bigger for this purpose... But once a workshop have full stockpile functionality, why not to separate them into two specialized buildings, let this stockpile accept more material and customize, and set it up as a stockpile by pointing at it... wait.  ;)
This can't be as fast as a stockpile next to the workshop anyway. There are many, many reasons to set stockpiles there, such as fine profiling.

If you don't get the settings right they're very slow anyway; for example, forgetting to make the workshop only take from a stockpile leaves your masons free to decide that boulder 2 tiles away is farther away than a boulder 1 tile but 47 z-levels away.
True, but it's a path issue and appears only on setup mistake. Local material stockpiles solve many problems at once... and simply make sense.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:22 pm »

YES!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:08:11 pm »

This would be so tremendously helpful for smelting, masonry, and certain construction jobs, And I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as complicated to implement as some suggestions for speeding up workflow.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:06:44 pm »

I'm more like "wait, someone doesn't  stockpile materials right next to the workshop? Why?"

But yeah, setup unified for 'shops and 'piles is a good idea. Wheelbarrows and material control made easy.
Storage function glued to the workshop itself - bad idea: it would make control untidy, and may reduce flexibility.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"