Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Wet Season has arrived!  (Read 5116 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Wet Season has arrived!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 08:43:33 pm »

It's an irl thing. In the tropics, you only really refer to the seasons as wet and dry.

The four seasons are only for calendar purposes and have no real relationship to what's happening outside your window.
The four seasons have to do with the sun. They're not just a construct. Just different on the equator and other side of the earth.
Eh, I meant to say they're only for calendar purposes at/around the equator. The further north/south you go, the more relevant they get. This is because the equator gets the same amount of sun-time year-round (almost exactly 50% per day). It makes sense if you think that if it's winter in the northern hemisphere, summer in the southern hemisphere, so what season is it going to be on the border between the two?

That's easy, flush a toilet!  Go with the same season as the water swirl.  Unless... does toilet water not swirl at the equator?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 04:45:04 am »

It swirls in the direction the toilet is designed to swirl in, unless your toilet is the size of  an ocean basin and the coriolis effect is actually relevant.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:26:53 am »

It swirls in the direction the toilet is designed to swirl in, unless your toilet is the size of  an ocean basin and the coriolis effect is actually relevant.

False!  The Simpsons clearly demonstrated that Australian toilets flush the wrong way.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 09:31:46 am »

False!  The Simpsons clearly demonstrated that Australian toilets flush the wrong way.
A toilet at the equator actually SPANS the equator.  Water in the northern half of the bowl flows counterclockwise and water in the southern half flows clockwise. The two flows meet at a certain point right at the equator and, having no way to go down, shoot straight up into space.  Obviously.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:45 am »

also don't channel during wet season!
my moat got flushed while the miner was still at it and he drowned.
i don't exactly know how it's determined where water spawns, but during wet season some places just create water, just like murky pools do, but they become quills.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:56 pm »

A toilet at the equator actually SPANS the equator.  Water in the northern half of the bowl flows counterclockwise and water in the southern half flows clockwise. The two flows meet at a certain point right at the equator and, having no way to go down, shoot straight up into space.  Obviously.

Toilets built on an angle have been used as a primitive form of artillery in the past. The liquid shoots up out of the toilet, then arcs back down after it is no longer spanning the equator.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:21 pm »

i don't exactly know how it's determined where water spawns, but during wet season some places just create water, just like murky pools do, but they become quills.

I'd be interested to try playing a map like that. What kind of biome should I look for? Just tropical, or something more specific?

P.S. Quills?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:22:26 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 09:18:21 pm »

It is kinda pointless unless irrigation is necessary to grow proper crops.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:59 pm »

Not quite true... having trouble getting water in my current embark, and I'd really like to get something going for my hospital. It said on the embark screen that there was an aquifer, but there isn't... just two murky pools on the whole map. Making more would be worthwhile. But it's super rainy around here, so channeling and creating artificial murky pools would actually be kind of nice (even if I need water purification... not sure if I will or not).

So in general, if you have trouble getting water in a rainy area... it could help.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:27 am »

Not quite true... having trouble getting water in my current embark, and I'd really like to get something going for my hospital. It said on the embark screen that there was an aquifer, but there isn't... just two murky pools on the whole map. Making more would be worthwhile. But it's super rainy around here, so channeling and creating artificial murky pools would actually be kind of nice (even if I need water purification... not sure if I will or not).

So in general, if you have trouble getting water in a rainy area... it could help.
Do you have a single biome embark or a multi biome one? In the latter case you may have an aquifer only in one of the biomes.
The DFHack command "reveal" can be used to show if you actually have an aquifer and where it is (you should probably crash DF afterwards as reveal/unreveal are said to be capable of creating nasty side effects). The DFHack command "prospect all" shows the level(s) of any aquifer, if I remember correctly.

Normally at least one cavern contains a lake which can be used to siphon off water into a safe cistern.

I recently had a two biome embark with an aquifer in both of them, but somehow I managed to strike the earth where there wasn't one, and I still don't understand how that came to be. A fair bit of probing allowed me to find both of them eventually, though.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 04:16:59 am »

I'd be interested to try playing a map like that. What kind of biome should I look for? Just tropical, or something more specific?

P.S. Quills?
erm oldenglish word for a spring (water source) - derived from the german word for spring "Quelle" - and that's why it came up first :D
if i remember correctly it was mountain in a warm biome and a tropical forest on the other half of the reclaim.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2]