Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few noob questions  (Read 3995 times)

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few noob questions
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:43 am »

Currently, The New Adventure mode in my personal opinion is completely broken which means if you're even the little bit of experienced you won't be experiencing any !!FUN!!

Let's start by talking how utterly broken becoming a Intelligent Wilderness Creature. Becoming a Wilderness Creature that is massive is beyond broken, especially when you are taking on civilized enemies (goblins, humans and such) as you can literally explode heads with your punches and scratch of limbs easily.

Here's the big Kicker, For non enemies it will force them into a brawl, So they will never draw their weapons (unless you aim for the neck)  even if you're blowing off their limbs.

If you are interested in becoming an all mighty god, here's a list of all the sizes. Try finding something bigger then 1,000,000 (for me that was rhinecerosman)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:List_of_creatures_by_adult_size

Secondly for some reason most Civilized enemies are big wusses, If you are surrounded by a group of humans and you kill one or sometimess even just inflict a wound, They all just run away and it's very often for you too feel uneasy, To have the agreesive "Legendary" Rebel warlord to run away from you without you doing anything.

3. For Some reason Every single civilzation is always at peace with each other, so the only threat to you are Beasts, Night creatures and the boogeymen.

4. Super Training is soo easy, All you need to do now is to go to Mead halls (Which are in every single hamlet) and get armor and a Training weapon. Then all you do is go to city grab cat and let it attack you, Until your defensive skills are were you want them to be, Then you can start whaling on all the animals in town to get High Weapon skill.

5. This one is minor and likely a bug, But when enemies of a civ set up temporary camps (The rare chance that that actually happens btw) THEY ARE ALWAYS SLEEPING even in the middle of day. Really weird

If you want a challenge start up 0.34.11, It fixes all these Problems that the new versions have brought.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 01:51:48 am »

Yeah I've had a hard time just working out the basic controls, so I'll keep watching this thread for other nubies like me.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:35 am »

It's been awhile, but to pay a tavern keeper I believe you just enter the trade menu with them then select your debt; then trade them an items or item equivalent in value to that debt, I have had tavern keepers refuse service to me before but I don't recall exactly how I managed that.
But they did end up saying snarky things.
May be unrelated to whether or not I payed debts though, though for some reason I'm pretty sure that was the reason. But it's been awhile and I haven't done any science on it.
The problem is you can't pay with just coins, even though the amount you owe is expressed in coins. You can "pay" with non-coin items.

They'll refuse you service, or just charge more, if they're aware you've done something they don't like - like killing their family or friends. If they consider you a hero they'll do the opposite and not charge you for anything.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 02:50:41 am »

Currently, The New Adventure mode in my personal opinion is completely broken which means if you're even the little bit of experienced you won't be experiencing any !!FUN!!
I believed this up until recently. The trick to having an interesting adventure mode game is to generate a world with a long history. Longer history worlds seem to have tougher people, more enemies, and much more bizarre and unexplainable occurrences.

By longer, I mean at least 700 years.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:57:56 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:19 am »

3 is not true. I guess you're not letting history run long enough.
Goblin civs war with everyone else. Human civs war with everyone else, other human civs and occasionally have civil wars within one civ. Elves get caught up in the excitement, fight whoever, get killed.
While Dwarves only defend in wars for some reason unless you alter their values/ethics drastically (haven't fully worked out where the balance tips).

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:49 am »

I believed this up until recently. The trick to having an interesting adventure mode game is to generate a world with a long history. Longer history worlds seem to have tougher people, more enemies, and much more bizarre and unexplainable occurrences.

I guess so, I mean i have never generated a world past 250 years, Because it takes forever. I'll test out a pocket world

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:31 am »

I guess so, I mean i have never generated a world past 250 years, Because it takes forever. I'll test out a pocket world
I suggest making a custom 98x98 world based off of medium region settings. It might take an hour or two to get up to 1000 years, but it's worth it
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 [2]