Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any interest in a moderately challenging succession game?  (Read 3546 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a moderately challenging succession game?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 08:07:49 pm »

I'd like to make an official endorsement for ZM5's Lands of Duality and What Lurks Below as well.

They're pretty much designed to fit more into high fantasy (or more accurate, dark fantasy) feeling stuff, and when taken together they add some serious variation between each good or evil biome, and comes with a race addon that adds both friends such as the Friori and Leorians and foes like the weird, fire-and-metal tech augmented Burners or the vicious fungal-insectoid Cortinari to trade or square off with.

Their caster castes and wide variance in size, equipment quality, and war beasts would make them a hell of an addon.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 08:14:29 pm »

Since this would be a Cavern Fortress, Lands of Duality wouldn't see much use (though it is a neat mod I use in my solo games).  Similarly, What Lurks Below is great fun, but might be a bit too extreme.  I dunno.  I'm going to hack together a mod pack this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 11:04:04 am »

Edit 2: For anyone still reading this, I just learned something new.  When setting up a brand-spanking new install of DF, you need to disable Text Will Be Text when embarking.  Trying to embark with it turned on will instant-crash the game.  I've been updating the same installs for so long that I've never had this problem.

I've been tinkering with the pieces of various mods this weekend, the goal being to add new stuff while maintaining vanilla systems (primarily crafting there).  For those of you following along and potentially interested here; Is there a general/ballpark limit you can describe for interest in bothering with extra crafting options?  Again, my primary goal here is simply a Cavern-only challenge.  I'd be content doing that as pure vanilla, the modding discussion kindof ran away from that.

Edit: This question is prompted specifically by the full versions of Sver's Combat Reworked and Splint's Vanilla Expanded.  The mod does a great job of rebalancing gear, but also adds a few intermediate steps for metal crafting, which I understand may be a big turn-off.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:20:35 pm by Immortal-D »
Pages: 1 [2]