Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.05] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp  (Read 54743 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
[47.05] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:01:43 am »

This is something I've been working on for a while now - finally its finished.

This mod seeks to expand the list of creatures, plants and weather effects unique to good and evil biomes - similarly to my cave revamp mod, the different biomes are themed, though there still are shared creatures between different sets.
The themed biomes are:
-Mountains - Heavenly Peaks (Good)/Hellfire Peak (Evil)
-Swamps - Forgotten Land (Good)/Spore Swamp (Evil)
-Marshes - Primal Marshland (Good)/The Flesh-Marshes (Evil)
-Tropical Forests - Fey Woods (Good)/Tainted Jungle (Evil)
-Temperate Forests - Wondrous Wildland (Good)/Vile Forest (Evil)
-Glaciers - Crystalline Crown (Good)/End of the World (Evil)
-Tundras - Enchanted Frost (Good)/Cold Death (Evil)
-Taigas - Wintry Woodland (Good)/Frozen Woods (Evil)
-Sandy Deserts - Spellbound Oasis (Good)/Ravaged Wastes (Evil)
-Badlands - Glass Barrens (Good)/Chaotic Wasteland (Evil)
-Rocky Wastelands - Earthen Realm (Good)/Charred Land (Evil)
-Savannas - Ancestral Veldt (Good)/Pestilent Flats (Evil)
-Shrublands/Grasslands - Pure Hills (Good)/Corpse Highland (Evil)
-Oceans - Oceanic Domain (Good)/Furious Storm (Evil)
-Lakes - The Azure Expanse (Good)/Toxic Lagoon (Evil)

-Race Addon info

Keep in mind I took "good" to moreso mean "magical/enchanted", rather than "benign" - the creatures in good biomes won't neccessarily be any less predatory than in other areas.

Last thing, there's two reactions tied to two plants in good biomes. Goldleaf is one of the plants, found only in good mountains - you can take several seeds from it to make a single bar of gold - the other one is the Cryostalk, found in good glaciers - you can take seeds from it to make bars of Cryocite, a metal that is very sharp and light, but brittle, and so is not usable for armor.

Be also wary of some of the fruit-bearing plants and trees - the unique ones in good swamps and tropical forests, as well as those from evil marshes, arctic biomes, temperate forests, savannas, shrub/grasslands, sandy/rock deserts and mountains can cause negative effects if eaten raw. Brewed, however, they are no threat, and some may in fact provide attribute buffs.

Big thanks to my girlfriend for the banner - her instagram has more art stuff, check it out.

Spoiler: Weather Types (click to show/hide)

Download links:
Raws Only version - includes instructions on how to add the reactions to existing civ files, as well as optional files for rearranging vanilla good/evil plants.
Race Addon - adds 17 races that make use of the creatures from this pack as pets, plus have some of their own unique pets made specifically for this pack.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:42:20 am by ZM5 »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: [44.10] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 08:19:51 am »

Looks cool, I'm totally going to check it out more thoroughly whenever a more complete version comes out.

It'd be nice with a download for just the new raws, so you won't have to sort out all the standard DF raws when trying to get an overlook to what's new/mix it with other mods, and also so you don't have to download a whole DF for each new version (not that it matters much as DF is pretty tiny, but still).

Also, about how many new creatures are there in the current pack/how many will there be in the final version, if you could give an estimation?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:28:04 am »

The raws only version is the one that only has the new stuff - the other two are pre-installed for convenience.

There's around 238 new creatures added to good biomes, and 52 to evil biomes currently - once I'm done with the evil biomes the number should be similar on both ends, though evil may have a bit more.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:39:51 am »

So Fey Gas can strip Can Learn to a creature such as Kobold / Troll, so they can be butchered?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:02 am »

It'd temporarily strip it from dwarves and the like as well, should they fall under its effects. Its only a random (resistable) chance as well, so it wouldn't be a common occurence, but it could happen.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 12:00:12 pm »

The raws only version is the one that only has the new stuff - the other two are pre-installed for convenience.

There's around 238 new creatures added to good biomes, and 52 to evil biomes currently - once I'm done with the evil biomes the number should be similar on both ends, though evil may have a bit more.

Woops, missed that.

That's quite an expansive batch, very impressive. I quick-created a world and made a settlement in a good forest, and directly I was met with primeval trees and poison frogs. A nice update to the previously pretty stale good biomes, indeed.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:07:03 pm »

Oh nice, if it has primeval trees that'd actually be a marshland.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:27:21 pm »

Speaking only from my knowledge of older df versions (34.11), it used to be impossible to remove the intelligent flag afaik, the [SYNDROME] used to just have no effect. There was a list someplace of all non-removable tags once added. Not sure if it's still applicable, but it may be an obstacle if so.Sorry if this is outright wrong/horribly outdated, I've been on a very long hiatus :) Edit; to clarify, I mean the syndrome CE_REMOVE_TAG doesn't work with certain tags. I think. Maybe?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:31:37 pm by Godlysockpuppet »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 04:38:42 pm »

It should work since [INTELLIGENT] is just a shorthand for CAN_LEARN+CAN_SPEAK, both of which can be removed via CE_REMOVE_TAG (they're used for IT_REQUIRES in vanilla interactions - it shares the same list of tokens that can be removed/added).

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:44 pm »

It should work since [INTELLIGENT] is just a shorthand for CAN_LEARN+CAN_SPEAK, both of which can be removed via CE_REMOVE_TAG (they're used for IT_REQUIRES in vanilla interactions - it shares the same list of tokens that can be removed/added).
Probably just me going a bit mental so :)Also I really like the description of the mod and the artwork you have up at the top there. Best of luck

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 07:39:14 pm »

Ooooo, another Zm5 pack?

well shit, the human fort I was gonna get rolling might have to wait until this is done!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 09:25:02 am »

Heh, it's still gonna be a long while before this is finished, considering the amount of body plans, interactions, plants and materials I'll still have to make.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 03:56:42 pm »

Mrmm. Well, I guess I can use what's here for a preview for the mod then. Fighting mutants and possessed humans sounds fun.

EDIT: Would I be missing out on anything major using the mod as is for the fort?

Kingra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »

Some things I found.
Sacred Confessors are unable to fly despite having four wings.
The Glass sentinels that the Glassweavers create are hostile to the Glassweavers.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 03:14:44 am »

Mrmm. Well, I guess I can use what's here for a preview for the mod then. Fighting mutants and possessed humans sounds fun.

EDIT: Would I be missing out on anything major using the mod as is for the fort?
If you're going to embark on a good biome, then no, not particularly - while I still have to expand them a bit more they should be good enough. For evil biomes, only marshes, swamps and jungles have creatures so far - no new plant types or weather types yet.

Some things I found.
Sacred Confessors are unable to fly despite having four wings.
The Glass sentinels that the Glassweavers create are hostile to the Glassweavers.
The former is intentional - the Sacred Confessor wings are more decorative rather than functional.

Ah, I forgot to add NOT_LIVING to them to prevent that from happening - I'll fix it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8