Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you have to be smart to play DF?  (Read 716 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have to be smart to play DF?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 07:04:01 pm »

You don't have to be smart. But you have to be curious, creative and be willing to spend time learning what you need to do for all the various things in game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 07:07:00 pm »

Not so much intelligence as sheer persistence. The UI's rather difficult to get your head around and it'll take some time to memorise the whole thing, but it's not really *hard*.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Doopna64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 07:40:07 pm »

Were you told this through the internet or in-person? In other words, can this information be verified?
Online. I don't get enough in real life to talk about this topic. Haha.

Doopna64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 07:41:10 pm »

Next, I don't know. I'm asking. I was told that if you didn't pay and played the game, you were getting sued by the creators with potentially other consequences down the line.

Yeah, the game has been free this whole time and there is probably gonna be a free version with aasci graphics still. They're not going to sue you for downloading and playing the official aasci version. The difference with the pay version is that it has picture graphics and probably some effort to make controls that aren't horrible to use. Maybe some other stuff, IDK. Anyway if you want to play DF you can play it right now.

This forum is moderated by the developers of the game themselves, so you can see that we're all playing it and talking about it right where they can see and have been for the past, what, 15 years.

Anyway, welcome, consider joining the Mafia subforum if you are inclined, take a look around, we're pretty chill here.
(DONT BAN PLS! SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!)

Mafia, eh? I haven't played that since StarCraft II. I'd be willing to give it a go. How does it work here? I'm sure there are cultural differences.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 07:47:56 pm »

Well, it's kinda slower paced, games usually last a couple weeks. But just go down to the subforum, we'll teach you how we play here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 02:22:25 am »

(DONT BAN PLS! SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!)
I've never seen anyone banned because of double posting or any amount of posting, so you should be fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 02:36:12 am »

haha I am a genius

*pulls lever and entire fort floods with water drowning everyone*

One time I was pleased as punch to be making bauxite pumps to get magma from a lower level to where my workshops were.

Ended that fortress rather quickly ‘cause I put the pumps 1 z-level too high.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 05:26:52 am »

You think you've got the channel all sorted out, have checked over them several times to make sure. You pull the lever, watch the water/lava go down the channel and through your grates, only for it to go through a x level diagonal hole you missed because you wanted it all to fit in the space between your dining hall and the training room.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 09:24:20 am »

DF is optimised towards people with a powerful single core brain processor versus people with multiple powerful tandem brain processors
Pages: 1 [2]