Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and magma against the edge?  (Read 805 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Water and magma against the edge?
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:44:00 am »

Hey all, lurker who just signed up, etc, etc.

So I was looking at Hyndis' incredible Snaketributes map ( http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes ) and I saw how he used bridges to create an epic magma moat around the very very edge of the map. I thought this was cool, so I tried to do something similar with water on my map, though over a much bigger area (so as to turn my fort into an encircled island).

I've got a couple sets of eight-in-a-row-pumps hooked up to an aquifier, walls are built, I'm ready to turn the sucker on. Urist McSwitchy pulls the lever and the awesome pressure kicks in, certain to flood my outer walls within a minute or so. It would truly be pointlessly awesome.

Ten minutes later, it looks about the same. 7/7 water right near the pumps' output, 1/7 and 2/7 water a ways away, with the area not expanding. I think this is weird, and decide to try it with magma to see how that goes (I had some available, I just thought the water suited the fort's theme better). The magma starts to fill up against the edges, and despite only having one pump, is still filling pretty good.

So I'm wondering what the difference in code is here. Water flows off the map but magma doesn't? I mean, it's cool that magma stacks against the sides, but it'd be extremely great if anyone knew what was causing this difference and if there's any way I can change it. I really want my flooded atlantis fortress.

Sorry if this is already a known thing; I didn't see anything on the wiki about it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Water and magma against the edge?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:14:54 am »

Water flows off the map but magma doesn't?

Correct.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:56 am »

I really want my flooded atlantis fortress.

You have to DIG A LOT.
Finis sanctificat media.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:43 am »

"Water flows off the map but magma doesn't?" wasn't technically a question, just conversationally phrased as one. I'm not asking that. What I'm specifically wondering:

...what the difference in code is here. Water flows off the map but magma doesn't? I mean, it's cool that magma stacks against the sides, but it'd be extremely great if anyone knew what was causing this difference and if there's any way I can change it.

(and dur, of course I could dig out an island within the map, but without the map edges it's just a big moat. That's not the point of the project.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:32:59 am »

I don't know if you'd feel happier lining the edge of the board with raised bridges (1 deep, up to 10 wide) in order to retain the water and then ignoring them (or hiding them, leaving a slightly peculiar gap but otherwise more aesthetically pleasing?).  Never done something so extreme, myself, but it's apparently one of the solutions to the problem I think you're having.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:39:59 am »

"Water flows off the map but magma doesn't?" wasn't technically a question, just conversationally phrased as one. I'm not asking that. What I'm specifically wondering:

...what the difference in code is here. Water flows off the map but magma doesn't? I mean, it's cool that magma stacks against the sides, but it'd be extremely great if anyone knew what was causing this difference and if there's any way I can change it.

(and dur, of course I could dig out an island within the map, but without the map edges it's just a big moat. That's not the point of the project.)

It's hardcoded, there's nothing you can do about it.

Just keep in mind that if water didn't flow off the map, rivers wouldn't work, and waterfalls would become lethal.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 07:09:35 am »

Just keep in mind that if water didn't flow off the map, rivers wouldn't work, and waterfalls would become lethal.

Now, that would be a challenge.  Develop a fortress competing with a continually rising 'tide', digging in and sealing the first exploratory entryways off before water rose above them and/or could not be otherwise removed quick enough.

Bonus points for maintaining access to a Depot (e.g. a succession of platforms above the current water mark), though when boats come in I suppose you'd just build a set of 'harbours' on the side of a central chimney.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:55:30 am »

Having seen what happens when you get a waterfall that falls into a biome that freezes (but the waterfall itself doesn't), it wouldn't be so much of a challenge as it would be !!Fun!!.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:53 am »

Kind of a shame, though that makes sense. I don't think I'll try the raised bridges on the sides (though I have been using them to hold the trade depot path open); I ended up flooding the exterior walls with magma and I'll flood the interiors with water later. Spiralwaters continues construction! Thanks all.