Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarven Science: Why Blocks are Better than Rocks  (Read 7145 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Dwarven Science: Why Blocks are Better than Rocks
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »

Re: having a hundred block-makers, that just makes measuring efficiency even more obscure though, since you have the time spent to build all the mason shops and even more time moving blocks from shop -> primary stockpile -> secondary stockpile, although done in "massive parallel".  Efficiency and effectiveness don't always coincide.

Ya, building masons shops can take forever, you have to disable all of your masons jobs, wait for him to eat/sleep/drink/break, then finally he'll get around to building that extra workshop.

Or wait, 100 dwarves? I can get 100 dwarves to build 100 mason shops faster than one mason can build a 5x1 wall, not that I would need that many but it was funny to watch it all play out.

Again back to fortress design, I plan out my fortress to have multiple workshops that I think will be required in place of one, although I never thought to put my haulers as masons. I like my epic marble room with legendary marble furniture :/ I normally only have two masons, and after they're done filling my rooms with doors and furniture they churn out blocks. Once my mechanic has all the traps built and placed I have a large supply of blocks waiting to be used.

On an entirely separate note, I just got 38 immigrants in the first year O.o Haulers/randomfuzzykillers galore :)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 07:49:22 pm »

just build a couple masons workshops that are assigned to the dedicated masons, have these churning blocks until the masons are legendary, then churn the fancy furniture.  Have haulers act as masons for building walls and such (you can use burrows to make sure your legendary masons dont waste time here) because an army of masons is better than a few legendary when it comes to constructing.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2010, 11:07:17 pm »

just build a couple masons workshops that are assigned to the dedicated masons, have these churning blocks until the masons are legendary, then churn the fancy furniture.  Have haulers act as masons for building walls and such (you can use burrows to make sure your legendary masons dont waste time here) because an army of masons is better than a few legendary when it comes to constructing.

Protip on how to mass produce fancy furniture for those bothersome nobles :) I have them set with engraving too and train their engraving by smoothing my whole fortress.

It's that or a lava trap and 'accidental' death.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »

Bothersome nobles will be happy with furniture made of gold. What other use do you have for that gold ore that is everywhere?
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:20 pm »

The argumentation seems to be focused largely on either irrelevant facets of theoretical scenarios, or notions of efficiency or the lack thereof.

Personally, I have my masons all currently set to make blocks, on repeat.

This has nothing to do with the ease with which constructions are made from blocks, though I noticed that before and was pleased with it. Honestly, for all the effort and hauling it would take to atom-smash the spare rocks in my fortress, it is JUST as easy for me to have them converted into blocks and then stored in a blocks/bars stockpile where they can be stored in BINS.

That is enough for me to have every single rock converted into blocks. No more hunting rocks to have them dumped to have them atom-smashed. I just put blocks on R, and walk away and any time I need a wall or bridge or paved road or whatever, it gets done in one third of the time. If I need anything from the masons, I queue up the task ahead of the blocks, or cancel out one of the mason's block-making duties, and then let him get back to it once my task is completed.

And really, if I still want to atom-smash the damned things, I just smash them with the bins and cut my losses. That may not amount to any trumping kind of efficiency, but it gives me a lot more time to focus on any variety of other projects that are more important and more conducive to both fun and Fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]