Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002464 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »

I found out something odd

I tried making a Ducklord, whose bite is supposed to turn people into ducks. It's not working yet, giving me errors, BUT people in the arena who I set to be effected by it immediately transform into toads. Weird, huh?

I'm having this problem too when trying to make an immediate werebeast self-polymorph. I always just get turned into a toad. What's up here?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WEREBEAST:DEFAULT just checking you actually made a creature token called "WEREBEAST"? you can try using any creature here, just go RACE:CASTE, e.g. ELF:FEMALE should work

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 03:37:08 pm »

That's the thing: there's no errors, just the toad transformation. As for the werebeast creature, I can't find it in my RAWs, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

But there's a conflict here:

1) The werebeast interaction uses the same logic the werebeast curse uses in-game. Seriously, I just stole the transformation part of the interaction from the vanilla interactions. So wouldn't it use one of the "werebeast types" generated in worldgen (see advanced worldgen), which is what the old devlogs seemed to imply?
2) If it doesn't, then why does the vanilla game come with no werebeast creature RAWs (unless I'm not seeing them)? By that logic werebeast curses would just turn you into a toad every appropriate phase.

Note that I'm not doing this in the testing arena, I'm doing it in-game in a world with generated werebeast types.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:38:44 pm by freeformschooler »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »

Because the werebeast creatures aren't special creatures; they're either the person, or the beast, at seperate times, randomly defined. For example, my adventurer got bitten. Every full moon he turns into a cat for a bit. Then turns back. So I have to hole up in a lair.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 03:39:22 pm »

[CDI_USAGE_HINT:xxx]

I would like to know what the available parameters are for this token.  So far, I've seen GREETING, ATTACK, CLEAN_SELF, and CLEAN_FRIEND, but I'm trying to get the AI to actively cast buffs on allies, and I don't know if there are any more arguments I can give it.

I really wish there was a RANDOM_TIMES or FOR_TEH_LULZ token for it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:41:15 pm by narhiril »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 03:39:31 pm »

The word "WEREBEAST" only appears in the directory "interaction examples" along with this disclaimer from toady :

"Note: This assumes there's a casteless beast "WEREBEAST".  Inside of its bite attack, you'd put:
      (SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:WEREBEAST_BITE) with square brackets."

Not in the main raws directory. you need to replace Toady's "example" with an actual "race".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:41:26 pm by Reelya »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »

1) The werebeast interaction uses the same logic the werebeast curse uses in-game. Seriously, I just stole the transformation part of the interaction from the vanilla interactions. So wouldn't it use one of the "werebeast types" generated in worldgen (see advanced worldgen)?
No.  They are, for the most part, generated with a variety of, well, variations between each of the 10+ types a world will get. Why would it- no, HOW would it generate the werebeast types using the exact same ID?  It follows the same logic that the raws do.  Use the same ID twice and you get hilariously broken games.  There's no WEREBEAST defined because they're given unique IDs.
2) If it doesn't, then why does the vanilla game come with no werebeast creature RAWs (unless I'm not seeing them)? By that logic werebeast curses would just turn you into a toad every appropriate phase.
Because that.  They're randomized, not in the raws.

Because the werebeast creatures aren't special creatures
Definitionswise, they are.  They are NOT, however, named WEREBEAST, and they are not in the raws, because they're randomly generated.
If you could open up the world.sav, you'd see all of the random definitions for that world.  If you were to use one of the IDs from that list, I -guess- it would work, though that's a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:44:10 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

I fixed it; it works.

I had to create a new casteless version of the duck, but it's all good.

It's hilarious watching "Dwarf 1 has turned into a duck!"
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »

Same as Forgotten Beasts etc, they have dynamically generated "raws" embedded in the save files themselves. If you knew the dynamic name of the were beasts (e.g. WEREWOLF, WEREPIG or whatever name toady's given them) you might be able to use that in the game (perhaps even transforming into Forgotten Beasts etc), but there's no singular "WEREBEAST" because as stated, that's just an "example name".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:02 pm »

I fixed it; it works.

What about DUCK:FEMALE as the target? that worked for me in Fortress Mode syndromes.

Dwarven sex-change potion anyone?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »

The tag has two tokens attached -- CREATURE, and CASTE.
DUCK:STANDARD would net you a casteless DUCK.
DUCK:MALE would retrieve a male DUCK.

You'd not have a way to pass on the curse, though, going that route.
As the example raw states, the creature to transform into should have an attack that performs the cursing interaction.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »

Ohhh, I think I get it now. What's being generated at worldgen when you set the number of werebeast types is the actual interactions for turning you into any number of werebeasts, plus the werebeast types. Am I correct here? That would explain why the werebeast interaction examples are... well, in the examples folder.

So is there any way to mod in a spell that turns you into a werebeast instantly? I remember you can be one of the demon types by adding a DEMON_7 or whatever entry as a playable civ. Can you do the same with werebeasts? (Obviously this would be easier if they were WEREBEAST_1 etc, which I'm not certain it is as opposed to WEREWOLF or WERETOAD like Reelya said)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

I fixed it; it works.

What about DUCK:FEMALE as the target? that worked for me in Fortress Mode syndromes.

I wrote the raws for this as soon as the info about the interaction tokens was leaked.  ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »

I added a transforming syndrome into a drink, based on Deon's Witcher ideas.

Dwarven Wine which turns the drinker into a plump helmet man (female) etc.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »

I fixed it; it works.

I wrote the raws for this as soon as the info about the interaction tokens was leaked.  ;)
Well, i'm having a problem with my version: it's set with 2 syndromes 1 affects MALE and the other FEMALE, to swap castes, but while drinking dwarven wine with the syndrome, they rapidly get changed back and forth. Without making "dummy" castes I can't see how to make it "stick". I know it's easy to make the "transformed" castes but i like to find the most elegant solution if i've missed it.

EDIT: I guess i can delay the "START" to be longer than 1 drink takes!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:57:13 pm by Reelya »

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

Ducks don't pass on the curse. Only ducklords.

It's really fun. Sick an elephant on a ducklord. A long battle later (ducklords ARE pretty tough), I get the message "Ducklord 1 has been slain!" Check back in 5 minutes, "The elephant has turned into a duck!"

But I can actually turn a person into a casteless duck by using STANDARD?
The werebeast uses caste:default, so I tried using that on a non-casteless duck and that broke it, which is why I created a new duck with no castes in it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 544