Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002395 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1050 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:33 am »

METAL:IRON should work just as well as INORGANIC:IRON - the game considers METAL an acceptable substitute when specifying material.

Did you make these changes to the raws before making a new world?  Adding reactions requires a world regen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:03 am »

Anyone know why this reaction works even without reagents?
I tried two different versions of the reagent

[REACTION:MAKE_STRAW_BEDDING]
   [NAME:make straw bedding]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
   [SKILL:WOODCRAFT]
   [REAGENT:straw:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:STRAW]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:straw:STRAW]

[REACTION:MAKE_STRAW_BASKET]
   [NAME:weave straw basket]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_B]
   [REAGENT:straw:BLOCKS:PONY_STRAW:PLANT_MAT:PONY_STRAW:STRAW]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_BASKET:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:straw:STRAW]

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

METAL:IRON should work just as well as INORGANIC:IRON - the game considers METAL an acceptable substitute when specifying material.

Did you make these changes to the raws before making a new world?  Adding reactions requires a world regen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's a leftover from an early version when metals and minerals were different objects.  When the two were merged into "inorganics," STONE and METAL were simply re-pointed to the same place as INORGANIC, so they're literally the same thing.  That's why dwarves in strange moods ask for "rock bars" - the pointer for METAL:NONE was moved to the newer "inorganic" object class and "rock" is the default name for inorganic materials, while "metal" was the default name for the old "metal" objects.

I'm also guessing that's why Toady hasn't bothered to fix it - for such a minor issue, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than just changing a string somewhere.  If he changed "rock" to "metal," you'd get dwarves asking for "metal blocks," and if he changed it to "inorganic," both would sound awkward.  In order to fix it, he'd probably need to make the mood look for the IS_METAL token within inorganic materials for bars, and it really just isn't important enough to warrant the time needed to do that when there are so many other things to do.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:33:54 am by narhiril »

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 21, 2012, 10:36:43 am »

I'm getting a complete crash on my third attempt to get my night creature working x.x

Only the original terror can abduct and convert others( and only into slaves of the terror ), there is an interaction but that turns them into a converted terror(takes over the victims body etc etc etc ). I'm getting a crash bug during world gen, i'm going to try removeing caste names i think it's trying to apply "wife" of the yellow eye terror instead of "the terrors slave"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1054 on: March 21, 2012, 11:45:24 am »

Anyone know why this reaction works even without reagents?
I tried two different versions of the reagent

[REACTION:MAKE_STRAW_BEDDING]
   [NAME:make straw bedding]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
   [REAGENT:straw:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:STRAW]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:straw:STRAW]

[REACTION:MAKE_STRAW_BASKET]
   [NAME:weave straw basket]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_B]
   [REAGENT:straw:BLOCKS:PONY_STRAW:PLANT_MAT:PONY_STRAW:STRAW]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_BASKET:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:straw:STRAW]

Your REAGENT line has too few tokens in it, you left out the one that indicates the quantity.  You probably want it to be:

[REAGENT:straw:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE]

assuming you only want it to require 1 unit of straw for the reaction.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:52 am »

Doh! I keep missing such simple things... Thanks :P

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »

Doh! I keep missing such simple things... Thanks :P

If we didn't all do it at some point, there wouldn't be any posts in this thread.  ^_^

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 21, 2012, 01:43:16 pm »

Heh, fair enough.. It's kinda silly tho, just as i think im getting the hang of this, a new problem arises.

How would i go about producing seeds from a reaction?

I tried
   [PROCUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wheat:SEEDS] with [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEEDS:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED] defined in the plant

I tried
   [PROCUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:PONY_GRASS_WHEAT:SEED]

usually you get a generic material item out of the process but with this there's just nothing.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »

Heh, fair enough.. It's kinda silly tho, just as i think im getting the hang of this, a new problem arises.

How would i go about producing seeds from a reaction?

I tried
   [PROCUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wheat:SEEDS] with [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEEDS:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED] defined in the plant

I tried
   [PROCUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:PONY_GRASS_WHEAT:SEED]

usually you get a generic material item out of the process but with this there's just nothing.

"Product" is typically spelled with a "d" in there somewhere.  ^_^

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 21, 2012, 02:07:50 pm »

just shoot me now...

I think i need to add a spellchecker to my NP++

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 21, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »

just shoot me now...

I think i need to add a spellchecker to my NP++

The errorlog is your friend, it tends to catch most of these little issues.  In your DF directory, look for a file named "errorlog.txt" - every time you load up a world or arena, this spits out any issues it finds in the raws.  It doesn't catch everything, but it's good about catching spelling or context errors.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »

ohyeah, i try my best to keep my errorlog non-existant. It doesn't seem to catch my bad spelling tho.

Thanks for all the help btw to everyone in this thread. Mightily helpful and I've gone from having NO idea what to do with most of this, to actually making interresting stuff that works (my spelling aside) without referencing other objects now, so yay :D

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:08 am »

I've been looking around trying to find the fabled vapourstone for stone-gas, but I can't seem to find any templates. Does anyone have one handy, or give me some temperature values that will create non-scalding gas at room temperature?

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:41 am »

[BOILING_POINT:10040]+[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10050] should work; 10066 or 10067 is normal body temperature.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 22, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »

All you need is boiling point that is low.  Setting it to 10000 means that stone sublimates at 0 degrees Celsius/32 Fahrenheit.  I currently have my test fort vaporizing millions of stones at this setting, and it works just fine.

If the stones combust, they raise the temperature, but if they just vaporize at a given temperature, they don't do any harm.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 544