Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002296 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2460 on: August 21, 2012, 01:32:27 pm »

Yes
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

kk, thanks.
Another question, this one about contact area on edge attacks.

Will a higher number lop of limbs more, but be stopped by armor more than a weapon with a small contact area?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #2462 on: August 21, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »

How would I make a wearable item that's made from glass? Reading on the wiki, haven't found it yet.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: August 21, 2012, 06:36:35 pm »

Will a higher number lop of limbs more, but be stopped by armor more than a weapon with a small contact area?
I believe it would but I'm not 100% on that one.

How would I make a wearable item that's made from glass? Reading on the wiki, haven't found it yet.
You would need to make a custom reaction that created a clothing or armor type item made out of glass.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: August 22, 2012, 01:43:17 am »

kk, thanks.
Another question, this one about contact area on edge attacks.

Time for one of my favorite Toady quotes, I forget when/where this came from but it is probably searchable:

Well, there's contact areas and contact areas, he he he, and edges are assumed to be at a small enough scale that my numbers don't resolve well there.  Edges move partially over to different calculations, using the shear value differences and their "edge" numbers without worrying so much about the particulars of the vanishingly small surface area of the slice, whereas bludgeoning weapons use the overall contact areas and do more actual pushing around in a more straightforward way.  It's sort of crappy and cobbled together, but hopefully it'll work out.  The edges still keep track generally of how much they are slicing through and how much momentum is behind them, so slashes are different from thrusts in that respect.  There's nothing here that wouldn't make an engineer vomit though.

In general, I don't have enough dimension information to do a really good simulation.  Critters parts have weird shapes, so I haven't fussed that much.  It oftentimes conflates total surface areas, volumes and depths, in ways that don't necessarily scale realistically, but it's not like I can do much about what these things look like.  As long as the results are good over the range of sizes and actions in the game, it doesn't matter as much, but some extra raw variables will probably come in over time as problems arise.

FAKEEDIT: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1007133#msg1007133

My guess is that severing is determined by the cut area (width x depth) vs body part area, where the depth is capped by the weapon's maximum penetration, and the width is capped by the weapon contact area (or body part size if smaller).

Oh, and decapitation/bisection is hindered by the [CONNECTOR] tokens in the spine body parts - they have to be destroyed in order to sever the body parts. It becomes much easier to cleave people in half if you remove those tokens.

Damage adds up, as I kept hacking an elephant in the lower body after removing the [CONNECTOR] token from the lower spine, and I was first cutting through the fat, and then the muscle. After 9 fat hits, and 5 muscle hits, the elephant fell in half.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: August 22, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »

What's the difference between the ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER and the ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL tags?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:55 pm »

EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER determines whether you can butcher the creature in Dorf mode (I think); EAT_SAPIENT_KILL shows up in worldgen as elves devouring other species.

fantafox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »

Now, I am trying to make a time lord race so that I can play with him in Adventure Mode.  Everything was pretty self explanatory to do.  Would it be possible to make it so that whenever your character dies, a different creature of the same species would take his place, and you could then take control of that creature?  If so, how?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:11 pm »

Im no professional, but i do not beleive that is possible *yet*.

I think Toady One said in one of his interveiw things that reincarnation may be coming up.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: August 23, 2012, 12:49:33 am »

I was gonna make a new thread but I'll ask here instead.
How would I go about adding in castes to vanilla DF?
Like say I wanted to use some of the castes from Masterwork, like smith savant, talented doctor, priest of Armok, etc., would I have to do anything major to the raws?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

You could just copy+paste those particular castes into the dwarf file under creature_standard.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:03 am »

Heya folks, longtime DF player and frequent lurker of this sub-forum where I enthusiastically try out just about everything the community produces. 

So, after a break from DF in general and a subsequent discovery of all the cool stuff people are doing now with sydromes and interactions I figure I just might be able to make something I've been pondering a while....a total conversion.  (Yes, I know its generally a suicidal first project, but i write source in a variety of languages for a living, I can probably get to grips with RAWs in short order)

A couple of quicknot-so-quick questions:

1. Clothing Rot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Vanilla workshops and reactions

3. Entities, materials, preferences

Hmmm, this one became mainly a 'what can i actually get at?' post.  If you see any pitfalls ahead for me with the unmoddable side of the game yet I havent specifically asked here then please drop it in as a btw, you might save me many hours :)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Concept for the curious.

EDIT2: I dont know why im not following normal software engineering design principles here and testing after every little tweak.  I just made a whole range of changes to a host of different files and now one of those changes somewhere is breaking the worldgens.  Rather than backtrack to the culprit im gonna revert and step forwards to it.  Lucky version control was beaten into my head day 1 year 1 at uni.  Also, extra bonus question.  How can i crack open the fortressintro.file in /announcements?  I know this is possible since i've seen mods where embarks do not refer to mountainhomes etc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:45:25 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2472 on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:39 am »

Heya folks, longtime DF player and frequent lurker of this sub-forum where I enthusiastically try out just about everything the community produces. 
No, you cannot remove the hardcoded workshops and their reactions.
Maybe if the one type of wood in the world spontaneously combusts... like Warlord255's Bonfire mod's FIREWOOD.
Could try having no trees in the raws. And one of the herbalism plants would be the closest thing. But I think the worldgen will not be happy with "no trees ever".
Did you try removing    [ITEMS_HARD][ITEMS_WEAPON] from the WOOD_TEMPLATE?

I don't think you can get metal barrels as bonus containers at embark.

"a futuristic TC" what'choo talking about?

Clothing... compensate for the worn spacesuits issue with "decon showers" ie. mist generators.

As a codist you'll probably like the string dump of DF exe: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:String_dump
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:22:13 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »

Thanks for the reply :)

First up, yay!, String Dump, there goes several hours no doubt....

by 'futuristic TC' i meant TC to stand for Total Conversion, its maybe not an acronym in use here.

I cant really have my only wood type combust on harvest, I do need it extensively in reactions to start my tech-tree, I was just looking for ways to stop it being used as wood, even though it has to be considered by the game to be wood (so it grows as a tree for starters)

I'll try dropping some tags from the wood template, firstly losing hard and weapon, then i'll try cloning the wood material and dropping the [wood] tag one version.  Theres a note in the raws indicating that this single tag on the material comes with a lot of hardcode.  If this latter fixes things then i guess i'll have a tree that drops wood without a [wood] tag and one that drops wood with a [wood] tag but where the wood goes poof at harvest.  Fills the slots of trees exist but you cant get normal wood at an embark.  Will see just which of these points DF chokes on, its never easy :)

Metal barrels was me wondering if i could embark with drinks in a world with no wood, but as you predicted, im having issues with a world without any tree types.  (though a world with no cloth yielding plants ran fine, just a lot of colonists wearing cloth clothing with no material descriptor such as ' ' trousers.)

EDIT: I did try stripping [INDOOR_WOOD] and [OUTDOOR_WOOD] from the entity definition itself, which does stop you embarking with the one wood-type in my world since they are no longer allowed to cut it down, yet through the magic of DF I could still take drinks in barrels made of the wood.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:12:35 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:12 pm »

So, I'm trying to create a Trogloraptor mod. Here's what I've got:
Spoiler: body_trogloraptor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: creature_trogloraptor (click to show/hide)
Basically, the Trogloraptor refuses to use the Slash attack I gave it and you can't use it while playing as one. Also, if anyone has a better name for its limbs I'd be glad to hear them ;P
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 544