Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999394 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3450 on: December 25, 2012, 06:15:30 pm »

I believe it's both, actually.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 25, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »

yeah, some testing of two different ranged weapons & ammo with different values against one another in arena confirmed this. They work well after the testing, so I've got that covered.

Couple more questions:
Adding the [WEAPON] and [AMMO] tags to the dwarves' entity file will allow them to forge both the weapons and its ammo in a metalsmith's forge, I'm assuming? similar to the melee weapons?

Is it possible to set how much ammo can be forged from one bar without the use of a separate workshop and reactions? Looking at the wiki's page on ammo tokens, I assume this is hardcoded otherwise.

Also, how is [MATERIAL_SIZE] measured in units? Is it the number of bars divided by 3 (1 bar=50, 3 bars=150, 10 bars=3333, etc) or just the number of raw units (1 bar, 3 bars, 3 logs, etc.) The pages on the wiki for weapons tokens and armor tokens seem to contradict one another on this.
Spoiler: Wiki quotes (click to show/hide)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 25, 2012, 07:11:01 pm »

Quick question, if you tame a wild animal completely and send some of the tames specimens back home with the caravan, can you then embark with that animal in later forts?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 25, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »

@Space Cat: It's the armor one. What it means is that the MATERIAL_SIZE divided by three is the number of bars required to forge the weapon--for example, a size of 12 will take 4 bars.

@Hugo: The game tells you if your civ has actually gained knowledge about the creature.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 25, 2012, 08:17:32 pm »

@Space Cat: It's the armor one. What it means is that the MATERIAL_SIZE divided by three is the number of bars required to forge the weapon--for example, a size of 12 will take 4 bars.
Does this apply to all items? item_armor.txt makes sense, all the armors there cost 3 material units. But then there's items like helms[MATERIAL_SIZE:2] or axes[MATERIAL_SIZE:4] or all the item_trapcomp's which can't be wholly divided by 3. Does this mean these items require fractions of a whole bar or something? I recall reading that forges store "fractions" of bars for later use.

So hypothetically if I want a chainsword to cost the same number of bars to forge as it takes for 3 serrated blades, [MATERIAL_SIZE:4] each, then that would make the sword [MATERIAL_SIZE:12] which in reality takes only 4 bars to forge one chainsword?

How a dwarf can pull a fully running chainsword from four bars of metal is beyond me.  :P

In reactions though bars are still worth 150 per bar, right?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 25, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »

They don't require them, but they do melt down to them.

Bars are 150, yes.

EDIT: Quick question: is the player spawned with a random COMBATHARDNESS in adventurer mode?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:07:46 am by Putnam »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 26, 2012, 06:18:12 am »

Having added a new weapon that's permitted in the entity file, do I also need to add a reaction to make that weapon available out of metal, or does having MATERIAL_SIZE take care of that for me?  And, with it being a ranged weapon, do I need a reaction to be able to produce its ammo out of metal?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3457 on: December 26, 2012, 06:27:09 am »

Can I create a custom item that rots away and creates miasma? I once tried adding rots/miasma to inorganics, but it didnt work. I want to make a waste byproduct that works like butchery waste.

I assume PRODUCT:100:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:WASTE:MUSCLE would work, given a fake creature called "waste" that has muscle tissue that is inedible. The only problem I see is the naming, it should be an inorganic mat, not "name-meat".

Any ideas ?

@mrspace cat: no, once it is enabled, any metal that is used for weapons can be used to make your weapon. :) The ammo you need to enable in the entity file as well, nothing more.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »

1.  Can you make a creature that has a weapon for a limb [so, one of their hands ends in a sword, for example]?  If so, how?

2.  I'm still learning the new interaction coding, but I had an idea for a robotic creature that blasts out clouds of steam as an attack.  Can this be done?  What would it look like, code-wise?

3.  Could I give a creature a single sphere bodypart used for standing/locomotion rather than a pair of legs?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 26, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »

Thuellai: Nope, thouls be fine.

Meph: Add [PREFIX:NONE] to the WASTE creature's MUSCLE material.

Thuellai (again): 1. Yes, through applications of materials, body detail plans, and attacks. It's pretty complex.
2. Yep. TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW or TRAILING_DUST_FLOW attack with the material being WATER:NONE.
3. Yep. By the way, I think sphere centurions have already been done; you could look those up for help (I'm not discouraging you from making your own, but looking up how others did what you're doing is a good way to learn).

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: December 26, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

Just ran into something really obnoxious during testing.

The butchering of enemy ponies, in the arena, worked perfectly. Butchering other creatures, including beast-ponies, in the test fort also worked perfectly.
But when i tried to butcher an enemy pony, I got a heap of "frozen diomedian pony unknown substance" in place of organs and meat. Somehow, it worked fine with bones and hair and skin and nervous tissue, but not the meat. I checked the raws, everything's in order there (as it should be, as everything worked in the arena).

Why doesn't it work now if it worked in the arena???

Here's a material and tissue template of one of the tissue that got turned to "substance", as well as the template "pony" creature that I use, and the detail plans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:48:36 am by Valikdu »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: December 26, 2012, 03:30:26 pm »

If I want a creature to use a specific weapon, is there a way to ensure that monster has that kind of weapon?  Say, an undead knight type creature that I'd like to always carry a sword?

Also, are innate ranged attacks possible, or would that require an interaction?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:32:35 pm by Thuellai »

~LegacyCWAL

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 26, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »

For the sword: my Fortbent mod has two creatures that spawn with weapons. It's like the sphere centuriona, but with the part connected to a hand/arm instead of being the arm.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: December 26, 2012, 09:22:22 pm »

@Hugo: The game tells you if your civ has actually gained knowledge about the creature.
I know that, but does that mean you can then embark with that creature in later forts?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 26, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

If your civ's knowledge is high enough, probably.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 544