Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999493 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3975 on: February 04, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »

That does make sense, I suppose.  The things aren't supposed to be even as large as I made them, but since size matters so much and is otherwise invisible in game just upping it is probably a perfectly acceptable way to handle this.

It was just kind of odd that they died so easily to run of the mill human sized things in world gen, despite the damage reduction, an iron hardness magical shield and natural combat skills.

Considering how many nonmaterial FBs I've seen one shotted by a single soldier, I suppose it shouldn't be so shocking, especially if that stuff isn't taken into account in worldgen.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:12 pm »

is their any way to make it so they don't use 750 coins to buy 20$ worth of shotgun shells? will i have to make coins come in many stacks of 5?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:20 pm »

since coins are minted in stacks of 500 at the forge, it's not terribly convenient to have prices lower than 500 coins.  But yes, you can make some custom reaction that creates products of smaller stacks of coins.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: February 04, 2013, 10:28:45 pm »

Also, you can specify the denominations and materials of coins in the entity raws.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:07 am »

if i'm modding crops and decide i want to change the growth period, what tags do i look for and can this be achieved post world gen?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: February 05, 2013, 01:27:16 am »

if i'm modding crops and decide i want to change the growth period, what tags do i look for and can this be achieved post world gen?

[GROWDUR:(ticks/10)], yes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: February 05, 2013, 02:36:03 am »

[GROWDUR:(ticks/10)], yes.
To add a little something [GROWDUR:1008] = 1 season to grow. You should be able to extrapolate everything else you need from that data point.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3982 on: February 05, 2013, 06:04:30 am »

Would "at_peace_with_wildlife" help dwarves not to freak out about animals wandering close ? Or any other solution for this ? (I can only think of making them blind, or adding nofear, which would affect all creatures as far as I know)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: February 05, 2013, 06:17:54 am »

Would "at_peace_with_wildlife" help dwarves not to freak out about animals wandering close ? Or any other solution for this ? (I can only think of making them blind, or adding nofear, which would affect all creatures as far as I know)
That will make them ignore peaceful animals and most ordinarily hostile ones (like wolves) and vice-versa. Essentially, any animal that an Elf Adventurer can walk past will be subject to this.

It may also break hunters however as I don't think they will hunt anything they are 'at peace' with.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:10:36 am by Avelon »
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:13 am »

I've defined custom items which are toys called bars. I have one for each weapons grade material, and one that is simply called 'bar'.

I've successfully created a reaction to produce one using ANY weapon as a reagent, but I'm wanting to specifically have a material requirement for each reaction.

For extra points I'd really like to be able to deduce from the item's size a specific number of bars, but I have no idea how to even look up such information if this is possible. =/

My current working reaction to produce the items themselves from weapons is as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This produces, consuming 1 weapon, a single "bar", which has no material properties associated with it and weighs nothing. The main problem is that it doesn't correctly identify the item material to create a 'copper' bar, and the secondary problem (since this is for now a personal mod and I can adhere to my own rules if there's no workaround) is that it does not require the weapon to be copper.

Any insight?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:03:15 am by Avelon »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:47 am »

Check other reactions to see the proper format.

The reagent token should be [REAGENT:name:amount:type:subtype:material type:material]
So for copper items you need [REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:INORGANIC:COPPER].

The product follows the same logic, [PRODUCT:chance:amount:type:subtype:material type:material].
So for your situation it should be [PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_TOY_COPPER_BAR_AVE:INORGANIC:COPPER]
Also product dimension is only feasible for bars, thread and cloth, don't use it with single items.
Since you already make it from copper, making it a copper "copper bar" makes no sense, and calling it bar will cause confusion with real bars, name it something like "ingot".

Also making everything for every metal type is a bad idea, you will end with tons of reactions.
Instead take material from reagent.

The ideal solution is

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:SMELT_METAL_ITEM_ADV]
[NAME:Melt metal item]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:METAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_TOY_INGOT:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]

Now you just need to define that ingot toy, and also add [REACTION_CLASS:METAL] to your METAL_TEMPLATE in material_template_default.txt so it would take metal items only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:53 am »

The Answer
The Answer is an artifact Post. It menaces with spikes of Concise Awesome.

AHA! Now that I actually see it in front of me it makes perfect sense. I've been modifying my question as !!SCIENCE!! uncovered new truths for me but this covers everything! Thank you!

The 'INORGANIC' tag by its Wiki description did not strike me as the likely answer to my problem. So it turns out I was just overthinking it. The reaction class tag just needed to be in its own brackets. *facepalm*

Would this then mean that I could, with a single melt-down reaction, create ingots of ANY type of metal and then, with another similar forge reaction, create a sword out of ANY type of ingot? Hmmm...don't answer that, it's time for more !!SCIENCE!!. =D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: February 05, 2013, 02:06:01 pm »

Would this then mean that I could, with a single melt-down reaction, create ingots of ANY type of metal and then, with another similar forge reaction, create a sword out of ANY type of ingot? Hmmm...don't answer that, it's time for more !!SCIENCE!!. =D
Yes. I'm being helpful and you can't stop me! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »

The Answer
The Answer is an artifact Post. It menaces with spikes of Concise Awesome.

AHA! Now that I actually see it in front of me it makes perfect sense. I've been modifying my question as !!SCIENCE!! uncovered new truths for me but this covers everything! Thank you!

The 'INORGANIC' tag by its Wiki description did not strike me as the likely answer to my problem. So it turns out I was just overthinking it. The reaction class tag just needed to be in its own brackets. *facepalm*

For reference, these are reactions from Genesis:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREAK_WEAPON_BARS_ADV]
[NAME:break weapon into bar]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:weapon:1:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:METAL]
[REAGENT:toolset:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_TOOLSET:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:weapon:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:CONCENTRATION]

[REACTION:BREAK_ARMOR_BARS_ADV]
[NAME:break armor into bar]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:armor:1:ARMOR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:METAL]
[REAGENT:toolset:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_TOOLSET:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:armor:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

[REACTION:CRAFT_METAL_DAGGER]
[NAME:craft dagger]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:blade:150:BAR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:METAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:blade:NONE]

Note that I use actual bars, and it's not the best idea because there's a problem with a requirement of amount+1 for bars, so I will probably switch the system to ingots too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: February 05, 2013, 03:14:32 pm »

So, still working on that custom race... they have "red line" hostility, generated through trading in their [INTELLIGENT] tag for [CAN_LEARN].  Their insta-boiling item corpse works about as intended, so when killed the main bit vanishes in a short-lived cloud.

What's not working is their [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD].  I added that tag to a basic strike, which they do attempt to perform.  However, it seems incapable of actually hitting!  the attack "passes right through" harmlessly.  In arena testing, they were occassionally able to draw blood by using an attack that "Gouges" rather than the altered punch ("Touches"), but failed miserably at draining the life from dwarves with their 'mere' touch.

Is the problem with their material (basically a non-hot version of the flame template), causing attacks to pass through their enemies, or is it attempting to put blood-sucking on an attack that doesn't penetrate that's the issue?  Something stranger?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 544