Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002175 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4305 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:45 pm »

Yes. In fact, you can even have negative values.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »

whoa what happens with negatives?
just multiplies like usual.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:58:08 pm by mocman »
Have a wonderful day

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: March 01, 2013, 10:32:14 pm »

Negatives have negative value.

Endarei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: March 02, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »

'Ello again. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.

Sounds like a lot of stuff for a Pern mod would require extensive knowledge and use of DFhack and Interactions. More stuff for me to learn! Which...will be tricky at best, since I won't be able to do any playtesting. My ten year old laptop doesn't like the latest version of the game, to the point where it's pretty much unplayable within an in-game year after Embark. Oh, and trying to use the newer DFhack (newer than that for 0.31.21, that is) completely freezes my computer :D

I still like to grasp it as a possibility in the future and at least start to work on the basics of it. I'll try and respond to some of the points ya'all brought up to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you modify vanilla dwarves to give them multiple castes - like how the Genesis mod used to - but have one caste without [MALE] or [FEMALE]? Wouldn't that be like having hetero dwarves (male and female who marry and reproduce) and non-hetero dwarves (genderless who do not)? If you can target an interaction for MALE or FEMALE, then I would imagine you can target for certain castes of dwarves. Obviously, that's a very poor simulation because they're technically genderless. I only mention it as a workaround for game limitations.

I think you're right and making different castes for the different types would be the best way to get around that, unless there was a way to prevent them from forming relationships with the opposite sex and maintain their gender, which at this point I don't believe there is...? Still, we can work with what we've got.

On having a dragon adopt a specific human/dwarf and being telepathically bonded:

The dragon is the one who chooses the human to bond with, correct? Then perhaps you should use the [ADOPTS_OWNER] tag, making them similar to cats in how they adopt dwarves? You could keep prospective dwarves (or playable humans) near the dragon (assigned to a pen or chained?) until the dragon adopts one of them. (No cages, though, as they prevent cats from adopting.)

Eeeeee. The problem here would be 1.)Multiple cats can adopt an individual, and 2.)They only tend to adopt an individual who has 'likes cats...' in their profile. Considering how much fewer fauna Pern has vs. vanilla DF, the latter may not be -as- much of a problem but the former is right out.
I think the bonding would definitely have to be Interaction based at the very least, because I think the best way to prevent multiple bondings wound be to 'transform' the individual into a separate creature...? Being, a Rider/dragonman/etc... though I just realized, hierarchy will be an absolute bitch to set up properly.  :o The Holds and the Weyrs may need entirely separate entities. No, not may, they definitely will have to. >_<

If you are not averse to a bit of scripting in Lua or C++ for DFHack, a custom script could open up a lot more possibilities:
This would be lovely. However, I believe Dragons would have to be all separate castes under the same Creature file in order for clutches to be proper, and would caste-level prefstrings work for this? Which brings to mind another issue... how to acquire them? Would have to be on embark -- can't very well have rogue dragons romping about. Could we create a creature or item, erm, I believe item-as-a-creature would be what's needed here... for an egg, or eggs, to hatch into the first dragons... to prevent unbonded starters... Erk, but also, migrants tend to come with a randomish selection of whatever's available at Embark? Wait, this makes the eggitemcreature a better idea. yes I'm rambling, sorry. So we don't get unbonded or errantly bonded dragons with the migration waves.

Anyways, enough of that!! Moving on...

You could set the firestone as a specific food of dragons, ensuring that the dragons get fed exclusively that, much like pandas have for bamboo in their raws.

Also, no need for the syndrome to transform them into another caste/species of dragon, just have the temporary syndrome give them [CAN_DO_INTERACTION] with START and END values.

Sounds just about right... I wonder though, if it would be possible to make firestone a mineable stone, and perhaps use a custom building+reaction to turn that into edible/usable firestone for the Dragons...?
Also, can there be a way to make their fire attacks cause phosphine poisoning...? I started re-reading the first book...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, (canon)they need to expel the firestone after it's used up because they can't digest it. This sounds plausible with Interactions...?

Also...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaaand thus ends the amount of time I have on the Internet today. Sorry for my rambling and general uselessness.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: March 02, 2013, 09:16:47 pm »

I think you're right and making different castes for the different types would be the best way to get around that, unless there was a way to prevent them from forming relationships with the opposite sex and maintain their gender, which at this point I don't believe there is...? Still, we can work with what we've got.

What do you mean by that? You mean [STERILE}? I don't know anything about the books you are talking about.

Also, can there be a way to make their fire attacks cause phosphine poisoning...? I started re-reading the first book...

Yes, with syndromes, but you would probably have to have two separate attacks.

Also, (canon)they need to expel the firestone after it's used up because they can't digest it. This sounds plausible with Interactions...?

This will go a lot smother if you don't obsess over cannon. You should probably get the basics first, then add useless things like that.

I don't see how you can do much with those dragons, at the moment they are really over powered...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: March 02, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »

I'm sure I read about someone trying similar before but I can't figure out which search terms to use. It's also been a few months since I did any modding in DF and the first interaction I've messed around with.

I have a creature that has a body part which falls off after a short while. I did this by adding two parts, one which melts at room temperature, and one which doesn't but is attached to the body by the melting part.

The idea was to have the creature then animate this fallen part. For whatever reason it does not seem to count as a corpse, and so, cannot be reanimated.

Anyone else achieved similar?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »

I'm sure I read about someone trying similar before but I can't figure out which search terms to use. It's also been a few months since I did any modding in DF and the first interaction I've messed around with.

I have a creature that has a body part which falls off after a short while. I did this by adding two parts, one which melts at room temperature, and one which doesn't but is attached to the body by the melting part.

The idea was to have the creature then animate this fallen part. For whatever reason it does not seem to count as a corpse, and so, cannot be reanimated.

Anyone else achieved similar?

Narhiril had made something like that, and she let me borrow the scripts. I use it to fire missiles from my CIWS, and it appears to work fine.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »

the piece you drop has to be valid for reanimation ofc , so there might be constraints as to what in can be.  Hands for example.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30:09 pm »

the piece you drop has to be valid for reanimation ofc , so there might be constraints as to what in can be.  Hands for example.
Completely forgot to add [LIMB] to the parts. You reminded me that some parts won't reanimate.

Thank you both.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:44 am »

Say, I've been noticing a problem with my Daleks. Despite the outer tissue (the armor) being completely magma proof, upon contact with anything abnormally hot, the soft inner organ (internal creature) seems to burn away, leaving no corpse. So, if they die from heat there ought to be a corpse entirely complete except for the squishy mutant inside, and they shouldn't die in the first place from just being in a "burning" tile for 1 click. Anyone had similar problems with any kind of creature?

Tissue, creature, and bp_plan raws in my sig.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: March 03, 2013, 01:55:00 am »

Can a plant have more than one extract to barrel?

For example can I have a choice between extracting a jam or a jelly or a paste from an apricot?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4316 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:41 am »

@The13thRonin: Yes, if you make custom reactions for it. No, if you want to use the vanilla reaction.

@HugoLuman: That is normal, in vanilla DF the fat melts away, but the skin is intact... inner fat gone, outer skin ok. Same problem. You have to make everything fireproof.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:50 am »

@The13thRonin: Yes, if you make custom reactions for it. No, if you want to use the vanilla reaction.

@HugoLuman: That is normal, in vanilla DF the fat melts away, but the skin is intact... inner fat gone, outer skin ok. Same problem. You have to make everything fireproof.

Meph could you throw together a quick example for me please?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:03 am »

Say, I've been noticing a problem with my Daleks. Despite the outer tissue (the armor) being completely magma proof, upon contact with anything abnormally hot, the soft inner organ (internal creature) seems to burn away, leaving no corpse. So, if they die from heat there ought to be a corpse entirely complete except for the squishy mutant inside, and they shouldn't die in the first place from just being in a "burning" tile for 1 click. Anyone had similar problems with any kind of creature?

Tissue, creature, and bp_plan raws in my sig.

If you don't mind your Daleks changing temperature, giving them [FIXED_TEMP:XXX] will keep them from burning.

Meph could you throw together a quick example for me please?

I will give you one, not mine though. It makes plump helmets into wine, just change the wine and plump helmets into what you want.
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREW_HELMET_PLUMP]
[NAME:make plump helmet wine]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_W]
[REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:STRUCTURAL][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:DRINK]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: March 03, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »

I mean, the Daleks should probably still die from being in magma for too long, but the weird thing is they die instantly from anything 'burning' or hotter, when other creatures take a while to die from burns. The message is "died in the heat", not "melted" "bled to death" or "burned to death" like normal creatures get. Also, on death from this they ought to leave behind the shell, not just vanish.

I also gave the outer shell "tissue" a very high thickness and insulation value, shouldn't that slow down heat transfer to the internal squishy bit?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 544