Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1002161 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4860 on: April 22, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

I don't think feathers actually show up as an item in-game right now (so regardless of how big the bird is you never get them). I seem to remember someone doing a workaround that output a skin type item or something like that, but I don't think you can get just plain old feathers right now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4861 on: April 22, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »

No. Grass and trees grow on stone as well, even slade, but never on depth 4 (magmalake) or 5 (hell). You can make a plant with depth:5:5, but it wont grow in hell. Once you breach hell, it will start growing in the caverns/on soil.

Interesting fact. I might try this one for an experiment.

Allow me to correct this by setting the sentence right.

Yes nothing grows on cave level 4-5 because there is no... Mud, cavern grass, plants, trees grow on stone due to all cavern ground being coated in mud. And since magma sea and clown tent lack mud, nothing will grow. But due to how Toady has the cave levels setup yes breaching those layers will make plants/grass on all levels.

So in short:
Grass/Plants/Trees in cavern levels can grow on anything covered in mud, and on soil. But stone covered in mud works too.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:59 pm »

Feathers don't currently exist, but that doesn't mean you can't make them. I'm fairly certain that, if nothing else, you can just use it as an EBO. I don't know if you can just slap that into a body detail plan or not, though.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:02 pm »

A note on Feathers.

I'm not sure how Toady has it worked into the game, but you can obtain feathers as a body part by designating the feathers as a shearable tissue.  However, like with all tissues, the game seems to keep track of how "big" the sheared tissue is once severed, for the purpose of things such as spinning into thread (if it doesn't hit some threshold, the game won't use it).  This indicates some product dimension type mechanic is involved (just like with butchering).

Just like with organs and other tissues when butchering, if the BODY_SIZE*REL_SIZE(factor of body part rel_size and tissue thickness I believe) of the tissue in question doesn't hit some threshold, then it won't display as a product of the butchering.  Shearing is a special case where the game will output the tissue after the shearing task, but it will have the pseudo-product_dimension below the game's desired critical value, possibly making it unusable (at least for hard-coded reactions, such as spinning thread or carving crafts).

Some quick science:

I took turkeys and cranked their body size up to 5000000 (three orders of magnitude).  I also increased the tissue layer thickness for all feather to 10 (10x increase).  After butchering, "Feather" was observable in the butchering results.  But it was only that, 'Stray Turkey Gobbler Feather'.  No number of units, just like skin.  There were 110 Meat and 72 bones though.

I thought to myself "Hey, if that were hair, it would have said something like 'Stray Turkey Gobbler Hair(17)' or some such, because its so damn big that all the different body part hair layers should yield individual butchering returns".  So I changed the Tissue_Shape of the Feather tissue to be STRANDS to match hair.  The result:  Still only one single feather body part after butchering.

My current conclusion:

I haven't done enough science to make a conclusive statement, but I have a suspicion.  I think Feather, like skin, is treated specially by the game, with a restriction on multi-body-part butchering returns, and some critical body size vs. relative size equation that is currently elusive.  Making a creature large enough, and drastically increasing the size of the Feather Tissue, does allow one to obtain Feather from butchering.  Just what steps you are willing to pursue further on this course is up to you.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: April 22, 2013, 11:30:32 pm »

I am trying to understand how [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:Squire:Squires:Squire:START:0] in syndromes works. It appears to also add Dwarf to the front of the creature's designation. For instance Joe Smith, Woodcutter becomes Joe Smith, Dwarf Woodcutter Squire. Is it possible to change the way the name is altered? (Put Squire in the front, no Dwarf, put Dwarf Squire together, etc...)

On a similar front, I have tried using two different CE_DISPLAY_NAME syndromes on the same creature (from two seperate syndromes), but the name doesn't change from the first. Does anyone know of a way to reset the name so that a single dwarf can change their display name?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: April 22, 2013, 11:32:23 pm »

Nope. I think that the display name is a single value in the creature, so they don't stack.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: April 22, 2013, 11:34:18 pm »

I am trying to understand how [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:Squire:Squires:Squire:START:0] in syndromes works. It appears to also add Dwarf to the front of the creature's designation. For instance Joe Smith, Woodcutter becomes Joe Smith, Dwarf Woodcutter Squire. Is it possible to change the way the name is altered? (Put Squire in the front, no Dwarf, put Dwarf Squire together, etc...)
Not that I know of.

On a similar front, I have tried using two different CE_DISPLAY_NAME syndromes on the same creature (from two seperate syndromes), but the name doesn't change from the first. Does anyone know of a way to reset the name so that a single dwarf can change their display name?
I think you can apply a second name change if you have the first one wear off first. You could potentially do this for an indefinite amount of time syndrome by having the name change syndrome only last a short time but be periodically "refreshed" by a self-targeting interaction. When you want the name to change back all you have to do is to give them a syndrome that stops them from targeting themselves (IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS) and then your new name should apply itself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: April 23, 2013, 12:23:49 am »

Dang, well I suppose I will just have to do without the name change then

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: April 23, 2013, 12:28:56 am »

No. Grass and trees grow on stone as well, even slade, but never on depth 4 (magmalake) or 5 (hell). You can make a plant with depth:5:5, but it wont grow in hell. Once you breach hell, it will start growing in the caverns/on soil.

Yes nothing grows on cave level 4-5 because there is no... Mud, cavern grass, plants, trees grow on stone due to all cavern ground being coated in mud. And since magma sea and clown tent lack mud, nothing will grow. But due to how Toady has the cave levels setup yes breaching those layers will make plants/grass on all levels.

So in short:
Grass/Plants/Trees in cavern levels can grow on anything covered in mud, and on soil. But stone covered in mud works too.

Yeah, I know this, unless you meant that it would be possible to grow things on sladium if it were muddied first.

Moving on, I'd like to ask if there's a way to make a targeted creature vanishing spell. Kind of like how creatures vanish in plain sight, but used by another creature to another creature instead.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4869 on: April 23, 2013, 12:43:20 am »

So in short:

Yeah, I know this, unless you meant that it would be possible to grow things on sladium if it were muddied first.

Moving on, I'd like to ask if there's a way to make a targeted creature vanishing spell. Kind of like how creatures vanish in plain sight, but used by another creature to another creature instead.

Slade muddied stuff grow, yes

Vanishing spell (on a target) yes just the simple Hide on the target, like making a resurrect or reanimate spell, just replace the target with a living creature and the effect as HIDE

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: April 23, 2013, 12:45:40 am »

Noted. Thanks, Hugo.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: April 23, 2013, 09:06:55 am »

Question:
Convert metal stone blocks back to boulders.

It's happened before, where on early embark the only fire safe material I have to build stuff with are my ores.  If I forget to turn them back off and later start making blocks, I see fire safe blocks and think the stone is lost.

My first idea was create a custom reaction to turn blocks into bars, but then realized the ratio of 1 boulder to 4 blocks isn't the same as bars to ore is, AND that metal ores are sometimes made up of more than 1 metal.  So I would instead need to make a custom reaction that turned 4 blocks back into a matching boulder of ore.

Is this fairly straightforward?  Just create a reaction that takes 4 blocks of the same type and outputs a boulder, or is that even possible?  Am I going to just need to make 1 reaction, or 1 for each type of ore I need to convert (I'm wondering if there may be an issue with mixing block types to create a single boulder, which is not what I want,  I want all the same block type to recreate a boulder)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:08 am »

[REAGENT:A:4:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:METAL_STONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

Alternatively, put a [REACTION_CLASS:ORE] to all the metal ores, and use

[REAGENT:A:4:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:ORE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

to get them back.

Fixed post.

To add: The reaction class will indiscriminately look for blocks with [REACTION_CLASS:ORE], so you might want to do the first one instead.

But reaction classes streamline a lot of things, so it's put there for consideration.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:34:33 am by New Guy »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4873 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37:10 am »

This reaction might take 1 iron block, 1 silver block, 1 copper block and 1 adamantine block, and make one iron ore.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: April 23, 2013, 09:45:44 am »

Only the second one. But the first one does clutter up the workshop menu. Depends on how much you want it in depth.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 544