Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755961 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3240 on: September 06, 2012, 01:27:36 am »

I REALLY hope population is handled at some point so we can have genuinly disasterous effects and dangerous creatures/groups.

I am tired of Surgical striking megabeasts.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: September 06, 2012, 07:33:12 am »

That'd be cool. It could use the domestication framework!

If you turn goblins "domesticating" dwarven children around within the domestication framework, you could also have dwarves "domesticating" goblin prisoners.  New use for the poor, neglected philosopher: he schleps down to the dungeon now and then, and chats with caged goblin prisoners, gradually imparting a dose of dwarven ethics.

Those prisoners failing basic ethics are, of course, introduced to !!ethics!!

Gnarker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:56 am »

Right now the world wouldnt be able to handle an epidemic. They're still sorta confused about how to feed themselves.

So very true. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: September 06, 2012, 10:54:01 am »

Right now the world wouldnt be able to handle an epidemic. They're still sorta confused about how to feed themselves.

They also need to house themselves

I am honestly starting to think Toady should increase the size of the world significantly...

Not in terms of increasing size as in more population. I mean just making the world bigger... as in land mass.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »

I am honestly starting to think Toady should increase the size of the world significantly...

Not in terms of increasing size as in more population. I mean just making the world bigger... as in land mass.

Large worlds take forever to gen on a modern computer.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 06, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

Thinking about the long term, Why not assign abandoned fortresses an arbitrary value as an area to be settled, and the civilization that fortress belonged to can reclaim it?  It would add some much needed player interaction with the world as a whole.  In fortress mode you know little to nothing about what's going on outside, therefore you cannot influence it.  But after a fortress is abandoned it is merely a site to explore, why not make it a site that can be settled as well?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 06, 2012, 08:27:57 pm »

Too much of a suggestion >_>

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:05 pm »

Will modders be able to choose what kind of site a race develops, such as setting a race to build goblin style castles and towns instead of human type towns

disregard question. Had a lapse in my memory on entity tags.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:59:49 pm by darklord92 »
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »

Will modders be able to choose what kind of site a race develops, such as setting a race to build goblin style castles and towns instead of human type towns

I'm wondering now if i can make my northern sergals have towers and massive "mines" with the pits from goblin sites, it would fit them.

We already can, you know.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 06, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »

I'm wondering now if i can make my northern sergals have towers and massive "mines" with the pits from goblin sites, it would fit them.

Yea, but I think he's asking if they can use the similar build up, but have the enities using the site treat them differently.

Like currently you can tell dorfs to make cities and they make human cities but use them as if their humans.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: September 06, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »

Yea, but I think he's asking if they can use the similar build up, but have the enities using the site treat them differently.

Like currently you can tell dorfs to make cities and they make human cities but use them as if their humans.

no it was a lapse in my memory of entity tags and that you can set cities.  though it would be interesting if you cna mix and match city parts. like this:
[ENTITY:GOBBYS]
[...stuff...]
[CITY:WALLS]
[CITY:ROADS]
[CASTLE:LARGE_PIT]
[CASTLE:LARGE_TOWER]
[CASTLE:UNDERGROUND_STRUCTURES]
[CASTLE:UNDERGROUND_TUNNELS]

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:59 am »

Will you be developing Kobolds soon? The same goes for elves, but i feel that the potential for kobolds in particular has been underexploited. If there a race of thieves, then let them be the race of thieves, with all the knowledge and skill that means, with the stolen knowledge and customs of a thousand civilisations and they're inexpertly trained animals to boot! In general, having races learn forom thier enemies would be good but it seems particularly apt in this case. As well as that, let kobolds come into thier own, with thier own domesticated creatures and thier strange society, and thier own gods and arts and myths. Draw from the mythos which inspired the idea, and i know i would love to see a connection the fae, though that may have to wait untill you get to planes, and knowing you, i have a feeling that whatever you end up doing it will be a pleasant surprise. Also, when will animal people get thier own sites, possibly based in the caverns and spreading to the service?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:34:41 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 07, 2012, 08:39:47 am »

Will you be developing Kobolds soon? The same goes for elves?

It depends on what you mean by soon. Indeed he is going to develop each one so they have their own site within this haul... but we don't know how long Goblins are going to take.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 07, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »

Large worlds take forever to gen on a modern computer.

Untrue. The absolute shortest part of World Gen is the land mass. My computer could generate over 10 of the largest worlds in five minutes if it was ONLY the World Generation itself.

It is history generation that takes WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long and comprises 99% of large world generation time.

My suggestion, well not really but I don't know the word for it, was for Toady to increase the Land size but not history load. As in "Compared to history generation you wouldn't notice the change".

I know that a lot of the problem with history generation is just programming efficiency and that Toady is working on it. (The "Travel size" suggests the world is the size of the UK or Europe, but square for square it is about the size of New York)... It suggests the days are shorter in Dwarf Fortress then in real life.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:37:27 pm by Neonivek »

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: September 07, 2012, 01:57:28 pm »

If i may state my curiosity from one of my previous posts.

Will we ever be able to edit the types of buildings that will appear in towns as well as the "dungeons" inside of it, possibly having it external such as a site_dwarf file. or having "plans" built into the game like now but with the buildings customisable in the entity files, such as the options to build towers or not, or to have sewers or not at a certain city value or population

ex:
[sitetag:building tag: minimum pop, minimum site currency]
[CITY:WALLS:300,50000]
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 748