Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286307 times)

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #345 on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:31 am »

Is there a way to simulate the non-advanced world generation in the advanced mode? I'm trying to make only some minor tweaks to the basic generation.

I'm loading the MEDIUM_REGION parameters, but I'm not sure how to achieve stuff like "Mineral Occurence: Sparse/Frequent" etc.

I believe there is a parameter called [MINERAL_SCARCITY:###]
The lower the parameter is set, the higher frequency of ores and minerals.
That's the one. Set it to somewhere between 500 and 1250 for a good range of ores. Anything below 500 tends to be overkill, and will decrease the amount of other things (like flux) on your maps.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 19, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

Is there a way to simulate the non-advanced world generation in the advanced mode? I'm trying to make only some minor tweaks to the basic generation.

I'm loading the MEDIUM_REGION parameters, but I'm not sure how to achieve stuff like "Mineral Occurence: Sparse/Frequent" etc.

That's the one. Set it to somewhere between 500 and 1250 for a good range of ores. Anything below 500 tends to be overkill, and will decrease the amount of other things (like flux) on your maps.

Wow. Good to know that 500 is a better number. Must be why my maps are void of flux.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:58 am »

Wow. Good to know that 500 is a better number. Must be why my maps are void of flux.
Now, I didn't say that was the ONLY reason. Flux is a finicky little thing, and lots of factors can make it go away.

The biggest thing with me was to decrease the amount of volcanism in my maps. Less volcanism = less Igneous Extrusive layers = more Sedimentary layers = more coal, flux, and iron. If you're not getting flux ANYWHERE on the map, my guess is that your volcanism is set too high.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2012, 12:07:21 pm »

Now, I didn't say that was the ONLY reason. Flux is a finicky little thing, and lots of factors can make it go away.

The biggest thing with me was to decrease the amount of volcanism in my maps. Less volcanism = less Igneous Extrusive layers = more Sedimentary layers = more coal, flux, and iron. If you're not getting flux ANYWHERE on the map, my guess is that your volcanism is set too high.
Good to know. I'll start doing that. Thanks!

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »

Good to know. I'll start doing that. Thanks!
The embark finder lies about flux at low MINERAL_SCARCITY #'s. (I think it only finds veins/clusters of flux but not the whole layers of marble) , anyway do some prospecting (by pick or by hack) before you decide you do/don't have flux.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2012, 08:32:46 am »

I'd like a world with:

Volcano - Important
Brook/Stream - Preferable, especially if there is no rain or other water source.
Metals - Any is fine. Deep and shallow preferable.
Flux - Important
Tower Civilization - Yes plz.
Biome - Preferably not Haunted or Sinister. A little bit is fine.
Cavern layers - 3 please.

Can be anywhere from 3x3 to 6x6.

Hope I'm not being impossible.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:49 pm »

Hope I'm not being impossible.
On that note: Would anybody with an insurmountable sum of patience like to gen me a 2x2 embark with a volcano, sedimentary stone, large quantities of iron, and some flux? I will give you a cookie.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:31 am »

I'm trying to create an embark site with the following properties:
Volcano;
Metal ores;
Wood in decent quantities;
Not evil;
Flux if I stumble upon it;
Not freezing;
Wet.

The objective is to get a year-round production of rope reed and plump helmets.

I kind of manage, but I never get enough metal. It's always ridiculously low amounts (300 on a 4x4 embark, for example). What should I touch to get what I want?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

Are you playing with advanced parameters? I have an old paramset that might help with this...

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »

Yes, I am and yes, I am interested. I'm stuck to messing with parameters without knowing exactly what X does to Y and how it prevents Z from happening. It's pretty tedious  >:(
Volcanoes are easy, but specific biomes are much harder.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2012, 12:22:27 pm »

What sized world were you thinking?

For 257x257, try this, and adjust other preferences (megabeasts, end year, etc.) for yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The general idea is this:
Bump up minimum rainfall; 75 should work
-In minimum Desert, Grassland, and Hills region/square counts, change to 0, because they will only appear in rain shadows
-Change minimum mid-rainfall and low-rainfall to 0.
Change temperature to a more moderate range. This will not have an absolute effect, as there are temperature effects that we can't control, but it will help.
Change mineral scarcity to a low (100 works if you don't want flux; I use 750 so the flux doesn't get crowded out) amount
Change volcanism variances to 3200; make the middle three weighted ranges 0
-Change minimum middle volcanism count to 0.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:35:38 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2012, 11:01:03 pm »

I need some help with with creating a waring continent continent.

I need a:

257x257 region
volcanoes
a high civ count(the point where when I embark on a site there's a civ for every race listed as my neighbors)
alot of lakes and rivers
mostly a good/neutral biome with low savagery
wet and a lot of trees

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2012, 11:27:15 pm »

Is there a way to get flat volcanoes?

Nothing else specific matters, I just want to try a volcano embark again, but I don't like multiple z-levels on the surface.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »

Is there a way to get flat volcanoes?

Nothing else specific matters, I just want to try a volcano embark again, but I don't like multiple z-levels on the surface.
From what I've seen...

There's nothing specific you can do to guarantee flat embarks with volcanoes on z-1. 

For me, though, generating an entirely flat world (elevation min: 100 max 100, no variation) and then adding volcanoes and looking for them in the corners of regions, rather than the middle, that is typically where they show up.

If you have too many volcanoes in too small a world, they will extrude mountains everywhere and screw your elevations completely.  Better to have a larger world (64x64 or larger) if you want to go with max volcano count.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2012, 02:01:40 am »

Or you can set the erosion to a high value: everything will be flat (more or less). Volcanoes will appear but they will be protruding out like chimneys in the middle of nowhere.
That's not a flat volcano, but it's a flat embark.

Edit:
257x257 region
volcanoes
a high civ count(the point where when I embark on a site there's a civ for every race listed as my neighbors)
alot of lakes and rivers
mostly a good/neutral biome with low savagery
wet and a lot of trees

I think I have something like that in store. Mineral occurrence is low though, so you should check with prospector.
Civs around the suggested embark:
Suggested embark:
Wold gen.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit2: after messing with what RedWarrior gave me, I got an almost perfect 60x60 map. Z-1 volcano set into a mountain with a sheer cliff face, large amounts of wood and ponds to get an easy cistern. Flux, not evil, a decent amount of copper but not much else.
Sadly, it's "not freezing, dry", so no above ground textile industry.
If anyone's interested...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:34:18 am by Fluoman »

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 62